Colangelo Closing in on Contract Extension/Colangelo officially extended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slaw wrote: View Post
    The best thing about this to me is that the Colangelo apologists have no excuses left. He has his extension. He has his management team. His scouting staff. His coach. His players. There is no Sam Mitchell to blame. There is no Chris Bosh. There is no TJ Ford. No Rob Babcock. You won't even be able to blame ownership very much longer. Even Bargnani will be gone, so, you won't be able to flay him.

Finally, no more excuses. No more mulligans. This will be his second chance to completely rebuild the team. His third or fourth re-tooling (depending on your mileage). He will have at least one and probably two high draft picks to work with. This time, trying really hard, wagging a silver tongue and wearing nice shirts isn't going to be good enough.

I'm just so sick of discussing him, I am glad it's over. Now, the team needs to rebuild properly and start to produce. No more ifs, ands or buts...
    Amen

Comment

GameBreaker wrote: View Post
      All hindsight and misleading on CB's part, as well. You honestly think, in BC's experience in that line of business, the studies and accolades he has, that he'd make a stupid blind guess at Bosh re-signing if Bosh didn't assure him of that? C'mon, man. He's better at this game than all of us, no matter what we think. Hindsight is just that, hindsight.
      Thats EXACTLY what he did. He offered him a max deal which he turned down. At that point he should have known that the possibility of not resigning him is real. Regardless of what players or agents say or don't say nothings official until it's official and quite honestly, if anyone was presented the option of playing in Miami with D.Wade and L.James making big money we would all say forget that other junk I was talking, this is theplace to be.

'Misleading and and hindsight' is what BC does best! He should have seen that coming a mile away if that was truly the deal.

I don't know what "he's better at" than anymore cause look at where the Raps are. Stop living off the past rep and look at what is. It's not pretty.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
        And that calls a timeout on a breakaway or on a 3on1,
        calls plays out of timeouts that are ridiculous or exactly the same as out of the previous timeout,
        or fails to hold players accountable,
        or plays old injured expiring contracts instead of young developing players in a foregone conclusion season,
        or pulls players when hot and rested but sticks with players who are so cold they make polar bears shiver
        or plays foolish matchups against other lineups
        or fails to call timeouts when the bleeding has reached amputated proportions

Nah, he should be brought back. I do remember an article that made me consider him as an option for one more year, but I forget what it said now and back on the boot his ass out mindset.
        I am very glad for Colangelo and the only thing I don't like about him is Triano. I totally agree on your points revealing why Triano sucks as a coach.You even added one or two I haven't thought about...

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
          And that calls a timeout on a breakaway or on a 3on1,
          This I can actually understand. How many times did you watch the Raptors go 3 on 1 and botch it?

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
            A Plan B that would have accounted for his player leaving. Perhaps entertaining some trades for him? I forgot, like BC said "he didn't get any good offers for CB", but he's on record as saying that he gets great offers for Andrea, so we'll see how that one plays itself out.

His 'crying' was the whole Chris quit on the team and that he lied or deceived him in some way. He said he's the cornerstone and a franchise player one minute and the next he's not a franchise player, and we're glad we don't have an 'expensive pair of handcuffs' If you didn't want those handcuffs then why did you offer hima max deal? lol He continually trashed the guy after he went to Miami when th onus of responsibility is on HIM to protect the interests of the franchise, which he didn't do.

It matters to me how much a GM is getting paid because if your the highest paid in the league I would expect some results. Or is that not reasonable to expect? I'm a fan so just like we compare players and coaches salaries I want to know that our high price GM is worth the investment.... which he isn't.
            A plan B would be if he decides to leave, which he did. A plan B is not trading him before he becomes a free agent. At the time of the trade deadline, Toronto was a 5th seed in the East and gunning hard at the 4th seed, and it was starting to look like Bosh would re-sign. You seem to be blaming Colangelo for not being clairvoyant.

Colangelo has certainly made a few errors in his tenure, but I think trading Bosh before he became a free agent was really only one in hindsight.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

agreed
              "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                Thats EXACTLY what he did. He offered him a max deal which he turned down. At that point he should have known that the possibility of not resigning him is real. Regardless of what players or agents say or don't say nothings official until it's official and quite honestly, if anyone was presented the option of playing in Miami with D.Wade and L.James making big money we would all say forget that other junk I was talking, this is theplace to be.

'Misleading and and hindsight' is what BC does best! He should have seen that coming a mile away if that was truly the deal.

I don't know what "he's better at" than anymore cause look at where the Raps are. Stop living off the past rep and look at what is. It's not pretty.
                Lots of players have turned down extensions only to re-sign with their original team. And few people envisioned LeBron, Wade and Bosh all teaming up, especially back before the trade deadline. At that point, most people thought LeBron would re-sign with Cleveland. Again, you seem to be blaming Colangelo for not being able to predict the future.

Colangelo felt that he had built a team that was good enough to convince Bosh to stay. You want to blame him for that? Go ahead. That I can understand. The team he built simply did not have the defensive pieces to contend. But the last thing I want is a GM with no confidence in himself and who trades any player he thinks might leave. People are so afraid the Raptors will turn into the Clippers. That would be the quickest way to turn them into them.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Bryan Colangelo very upbeat,for obvious reasons. Says he likes this draft more than most. Likes "both PGs- Knight and Walker," also the bigs

Jonathan Givony talking to Bryan Colangelo at the Draft Lottery.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    The best thing about this to me is that the Colangelo apologists have no excuses left. He has his extension. He has his management team. His scouting staff. His coach. His players. There is no Sam Mitchell to blame. There is no Chris Bosh. There is no TJ Ford. No Rob Babcock. You won't even be able to blame ownership very much longer. Even Bargnani will be gone, so, you won't be able to flay him.

Finally, no more excuses. No more mulligans. This will be his second chance to completely rebuild the team. His third or fourth re-tooling (depending on your mileage). He will have at least one and probably two high draft picks to work with. This time, trying really hard, wagging a silver tongue and wearing nice shirts isn't going to be good enough.

I'm just so sick of discussing him, I am glad it's over. Now, the team needs to rebuild properly and start to produce. No more ifs, ands or buts...
                    You know what, I agree 100%.

I am very happy he has been resigned. I'm also glad it is for a shorter tenure as he did not deserve a 5 year $20M deal as he had before. The results - while decent given Raptor history - were not spectacular of late. With that said, there had never been such high expectations on the team under his tenure either.

The flip side of the argument you make above is now the haters will be left to watch the best years of the franchise unfold.

Step 1: re-sign BC - accomplished.

Step 2: find out draft selection - pending.

Step 3: trade Bargnani - waiting.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                      This I can actually understand. How many times did you watch the Raptors go 3 on 1 and botch it?
                      true, but did they fair better or worse on a 5-on-5 set out of a timeout? Not so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X