No announcement yet.

Trading up in the draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just figured if it would get the deal done I would throw it in. Our team will be young enough as it is with two rookies this year. I'm really high on Kawhi Leonard. 15.4 ppg. and 10.7 rpg. this year, he looked good in the tourney. A defensive, rebounding, slasher would be a nice addition to this team!

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
      I just figured if it would get the deal done I would throw it in. Our team will be young enough as it is with two rookies this year. I'm really high on Kawhi Leonard. 15.4 ppg. and 10.7 rpg. this year, he looked good in the tourney. A defensive, rebounding, slasher would be a nice addition to this team!
      So Minny would trade Flynn, Ridnour, and their #2 pick for Calderon and the #12? Don't think so. Especially since word out today is that they are now looking for a lot more for that pick now than makes sense (some GMs saying they are looking for a Gasol in return for the pick!) In light of this likely all the pick trades with Minny are now shot, unless it is the 20th pick.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
        Ok what about a Utah swing (WITHOUT Jefferson) since we have beaten variations of the Minny pick to death, but still sending Calderon to Minny.
        Trade#1
        TOR: Okur, CJ Miles (Utah exercises option), #3 pick (EKanter)
        UTAH: Bargnani, #5 pick (BKnight)

Take on Okur since Utah has too much $ in front court pre-Bargnani, he is expiring although played only around 140mins last year total and Turkish as is Kanter; Utah is coveting BKnight, and they are not jumping at keeping CJ but we could use.

Trade#2
        TOR: JFlynn, NPekovic OR ATolliver
        MINNY: Calderon

Then try hard to sign Wilson Chandler.
        Perhaps buy 1-2 later 1st rnd picks (Minny? who doesn't want to get younger and Charlotte who could use money?) to select Darius Morris and/or Tobias Harris.

PG: JBayless, JFlynn, <=Darius Morris?
        SG: DDerozan, CJ Miles, LBarbosa
        SF: JJ, LKleiza, <=WChandler (would start) or Tobias Harris.
        PF: ED, Amir,
        C: Kanter, Pekovic/Tolliver, Okur, Alabi
        Salary: ~$53M prior to Chandler/Morris/Harris ($51M if Tolliver instead of Pekovic.) Morris/Harris would add perhaps another $1.5M each, Chandler would need to be $5-6M. Okur expires after next season.
        saints91 wrote: View Post
        hmmmm... I think trading Bargnani will get us getter talent then that. I don't think we should move him, just to move him. Calderon on the other hand, I'm cool with giving him up for cap relief and a pick
        Perhaps you are right, and if we can steal both picks, #3 and #12, then big time.

Comment

I know it isn't trading up but still in the draft:

HOU: Bargnani

TOR: CLee, HThabeet, #14 pick (Darius Morris)

and the Minny trade Calderon for Flynn and Tolliver.
          If Kanter drops and we pick him then:

PG: Bayless, Flynn, Darius Morris
          SG: Derozan, Barbosa, CLee
          SF: JJ, LKleiza <= Wilson Chandler?
          PF: ED, Amir
          C: Kanter, Thabeet, Tolliver
          Salary is $42M before WChandler.

ADD NOTE: if Kanter does not drop, then select Kawhi Leonard, and throw $8-10M 1st year at DJordan, and maybe have Pekovic instead of Tolliver from Minny.
          Last edited by Maleko; Fri May 20, 2011, 10:05 PM.

Comment

So Minny would trade Flynn, Ridnour, and their #2 pick for Calderon and the #12? Don't think so. Especially since word out today is that they are now looking for a lot more for that pick now than makes sense (some GMs saying they are looking for a Gasol in return for the pick!) In light of this likely all the pick trades with Minny are now shot, unless it is the 20th pick.
            Ridnour is overpaid,and Flynn will be useless once Rubio comes which is supposed to be this season. Plus they main reason they want to trade the pick is because they don't think theyll get a player good better than Rubio or Beasley, trading down for them makes sense because one of biyombo, Montiejunas, and thompson will be available. We might have to give up amir or other filler, but even before that its a fair trade.

Comment

PG: Bayless, Flynn, Darius Morris
              You understand our oldest pg will be 23 and still very raw if we did those moves.

Comment

dballa21 wrote: View Post
                Ridnour is overpaid,and Flynn will be useless once Rubio comes which is supposed to be this season. Plus they main reason they want to trade the pick is because they don't think theyll get a player good better than Rubio or Beasley, trading down for them makes sense because one of biyombo, Montiejunas, and thompson will be available. We might have to give up amir or other filler, but even before that its a fair trade.
                I agree it is a fair trade, but Minny, according to reports this week, will not. As I said in my post, word is they are asking for Gasol in return for the pick. Calderon is not Gasol's league by a long shot.

Comment

dballa21 wrote: View Post
                  You understand our oldest pg will be 23 and still very raw if we did those moves.
                  Yes I do. It would also be about the average age of the team.

Comment

I agree it is a fair trade, but Minny, according to reports this week, will not. As I said in my post, word is they are asking for Gasol in return for the pick. Calderon is not Gasol's league by a long shot.
                    Well it would only be a 2 second phone call between the timberwolves and lakers/grizzlies depending on which Gasol it is. They would eventually get down to earth.

Comment

Ok rudy gay is now available but we won't likely want to tie up $ for no reason and max to a no max guy but perhaps following scenario (works after Gay's BYC expires).

Minny: RGay, JCalderon
                      MEM: ABargnani, MWebster, LRidnour
                      TOR: JFlynn, NPekovic, #2 pick, DArthur

Draft: Kanter @2 and KLeonard @5.

Minny (assumes they sign Rubio shortly as rumoured) gets their exp. PG as desired who is also friends with Rubio, and a franchise guy in Gay for secondary pieces they have been shopping. Perhaps they even give up their #20 to Memphis.

Memphis rids themselves of Gay's contract who is now redundant in their system after the team showing in the playoffs, gains a shooting big (rotation of Gasol, ZRandolph and Bargnani) a decent SF in Webster, and Conley's much needed backup in Ridnour. If they succeed in re-signing Gasol and likely Battier they have a very solid rotation.

Toronto rounds out their young team, I would still look to buy or bit-trade for two more picks to get Marshon Brooks and Darius Morris.

PG: JBayless, JFlynn, (DMorris?)
                      SG: DDerozan, LBarbosa, (MBrooks)
                      SF: KLeonard, JJohnson, LKleiza
                      PF: ED, Amir, DArthur
                      C: EKanter, NPekovic, SAlabi
                      Salary: $47M including Brooks and Morris. Barbosa, if not moved to gain later picks for Morris/Brooks, is an expiring.

Comment

Such a simple proposition: Utah and Toronto

Toronto: #3 (Kanter)
                        Utah: #5 (Knight) and $3,000,000

Utah gets a lower salary for their rookie, future PG, and a nice infusion of cash.

Toronto gets a C.

Everyone is happy.

Comment

yeah that'd work real nicely, though id be happy with just selecting knight. either way, win win.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Utah gets a lower salary for their rookie, future PG, and a nice infusion of cash.

Toronto gets a C.

Everyone is happy.
                            Everyone is happy until Kanter is taken by Minnesota with the #2 pick.

But should Minnesota not take Kanter, the above trade is ideal.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Toronto gets a C.

Everyone is happy.
                              I would love if this happened and then perhaps follow up with:

MIN: JCalderon
                              DEN: ABargnani, LRidnour
                              SAC: RFelton
                              TOR: #7, #20, TMosgov.

Pick KLeonard and Darius Morris.
                              PG: JBayless, DMorris
                              SG: DDerozan, LBarbosa
                              SF: KLeonard, JJohnson, LKleiza
                              PF: ED, Amir
                              C: EKanter, TMosgov, SAlabi
                              Salary less than $40M. With $ left over to buy pick (MBrooks), or sign KAzuibike, DCook, try AAfflalo.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                                Everyone is happy until Kanter is taken by Minnesota with the #2 pick.

But should Minnesota not take Kanter, the above trade is ideal.
                                Mango, have you considered changing your handle to Negative Ned? lol

Comment

Working...
                                X