View Poll Results: What do you hope happens with Barbosa?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hope he opts in and we'll see what happens next summer.

    7 21.88%
  • I hope he is extended at a lower annual salary that the current $7.6M he has left on his salary.

    9 28.13%
  • I hope he opts in and we trade him.

    15 46.88%
  • I hope he opts out and he is not back next year.

    1 3.13%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Barbosa

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Barbosa

    Colangelo also noted that Leandro Barbosa, who battled season-long wrist issues, will not require surgery.

    Colangelo referred to Barbosa as a “keeper,’’ a low-maintenance veteran who provided the Raptors with much-needed scoring and backcourt versatility coming off the bench.

    Barbosa has a $7.4 million option he can exercise for next season, a decision that has yet to be made.

    With so much unknown given the uncertainty of a labour deal, Colangelo admitted he’d entertain the option of discussing an extension with Barbosa.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/17...-faces-surgery

    What are your thoughts on Barbosa?

    1) Keep him for next year and let him expire.

    2) Extend him at a lower annual salary.

    3) He opts in and then is traded.

    4) I hope he opts out and we have more cap room.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed May 18th, 2011 at 12:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Flip 'em
    @jerboat

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was disapointed that we could not move him before the trade deadline. Maybe we can use him to move up in the draft.

    Word out of Minesota is that they are looking for vetran help willing to trade to attain it. Maybe we can talk Barbosa and Andrea with them, maybe Jose. Maybe a nice set of moose antlers for Bryan's office?

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
    I was disapointed that we could not move him before the trade deadline. Maybe we can use him to move up in the draft.

    Word out of Minesota is that they are looking for vetran help willing to trade to attain it. Maybe we can talk Barbosa and Andrea with them, maybe Jose. Maybe a nice set of moose antlers for Bryan's office?
    I agree. I said at the beginning of this past season that Barbosa had the best chance of being traded, but he was never healthy enough, unfortunately. I think they need to wait until he's healthy and then trade him. His best value to the team, at this point, is as a trade asset.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,424
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    opts in and gets traded for oj mayo

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If we can get something good for him def trade him. But I wouldn't be upset if he played another year and the raps would have more cap space next next year. When he is 'on' he's a huge spark off the bench, and the raps wouldn't need to find a 3rd string pg since he can play either the 1 or 2.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    opts in and trade.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Burlington Ontario
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    trade bosa and resign money as our backup SG, problem solved.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    barbosa has more years of quality under his belt than weems.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    barbosa has more years of quality under his belt than weems.
    No he doesn't. If Weems was actually playing SG no one would be bitching about him because he's pretty good at SG.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Burlington Ontario
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    No he doesn't. If Weems was actually playing SG no one would be bitching about him because he's pretty good at SG.
    i gotta agree with you there. Bosa is getting old but weems has still got time to step it up. And weems is more explosive and loves to throw down dunks which is good, especially for a guy coming off the bench.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    No he doesn't. If Weems was actually playing SG no one would be bitching about him because he's pretty good at SG.
    So Weems who can't shoot the 3 ball, does not create and attack the basket in the half court, has questionable handles, is not a great passer, but does score well in transition and off off one or two dribble pull ups is better? Weems is just not a great NBA player, serviceable yes, but I take one years and then cap relief from Barbosa over extending Weems for a few years, even at a deal, he is just not part of team's future.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    So Weems who can't shoot the 3 ball, does not create and attack the basket in the half court, has questionable handles, is not a great passer, but does score well in transition and off off one or two dribble pull ups is better? Weems is just not a great NBA player, serviceable yes, but I take one years and then cap relief from Barbosa over extending Weems for a few years, even at a deal, he is just not part of team's future.
    But he "loves to throw down dunks" dude!!! hahaha
    Sorry Raptors_, im not slighting you but that is how Weems plays, one of his best assets is dunking through traffic but i dont think thats enough for him to garner a spot in the rotation.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Burlington Ontario
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    So Weems who can't shoot the 3 ball, does not create and attack the basket in the half court, has questionable handles, is not a great passer, but does score well in transition and off off one or two dribble pull ups is better? Weems is just not a great NBA player, serviceable yes, but I take one years and then cap relief from Barbosa over extending Weems for a few years, even at a deal, he is just not part of team's future.
    he can hit the 3 sometimes. he shot 28% thats not that bad. Does not score well in transition? most of his points are scored in fastbreaks. Weems averaged 2.6 APG and barbosa Averaged 2.1 i think he is slightly better at passing than barbosa. I'd still take weems over barbosa, he's got size over him and explosiveness. He still has time to improve but i don't think BC will resign him.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptors_ wrote: View Post
    he can hit the 3 sometimes. he shot 28% thats not that bad. Does not score well in transition? most of his points are scored in fastbreaks. Weems averaged 2.6 APG and barbosa Averaged 2.1 i think he is slightly better at passing than barbosa. I'd still take weems over barbosa, he's got size over him and explosiveness. He still has time to improve but i don't think BC will resign him.
    Try re-reading what I posted!
    Assists per game does not necessarily tell whether you are a good passer or not, moving the ball to the open shooter is a good thing, but creating and passing is different. For the record Weems averaged 1.8 apg, not 2.6, Barbosa also had the better assist to turnover ratio as well....sorry but your argument is busted.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I hope he opts in and plays out the year, the guy is a baller and if healthy will be a valuable player for us. If he does opt in and play well his trade value to a contender could go up, getting a player and a pick in the late teens early 20's for the 2012 draft would be nice.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Colangelo has a long history with Barbosa as he drafted him in the first round so that'll weigh into the decision.

    Personally I'm ambivalent towards him. When he's on he provides scoring but but when he's off he just keeps trying to do it all himself.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would really love for the Raps to keep Barbosa. He's a veteran who's been in both losing and winning seasons, tons of playoff experience and seems to be a positive influence in the locker room. He brings quick and momentum changing points off the bench.

    But, keeping him for 7.6mil, IMO, is way over the top. I dont think there's any way around it. Even if BC tries to convince him to opt out to sign a lower but longer deal, he would be dumb to take it. For less pay and more years, logically, he should sign with a contender to put himself in a position to win a ring.

    With all the positives he brings, the negative drastically outweighs them. His wrist is a major, major deterrent in signing a long contract.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Rookie footarez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sofia,Bulgaria
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    I would really love for the Raps to keep Barbosa. He's a veteran who's been in both losing and winning seasons, tons of playoff experience and seems to be a positive influence in the locker room. He brings quick and momentum changing points off the bench.

    But, keeping him for 7.6mil, IMO, is way over the top. I dont think there's any way around it. Even if BC tries to convince him to opt out to sign a lower but longer deal, he would be dumb to take it. For less pay and more years, logically, he should sign with a contender to put himself in a position to win a ring.

    With all the positives he brings, the negative drastically outweighs them. His wrist is a major, major deterrent in signing a long contract.
    that is what i've been preaching all along

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    I would really love for the Raps to keep Barbosa. He's a veteran who's been in both losing and winning seasons, tons of playoff experience and seems to be a positive influence in the locker room. He brings quick and momentum changing points off the bench.

    But, keeping him for 7.6mil, IMO, is way over the top. I dont think there's any way around it. Even if BC tries to convince him to opt out to sign a lower but longer deal, he would be dumb to take it. For less pay and more years, logically, he should sign with a contender to put himself in a position to win a ring.

    With all the positives he brings, the negative drastically outweighs them. His wrist is a major, major deterrent in signing a long contract.
    If the Raptors were in a different position, Barbosa would be a great guy to keep. But there are two problems with keeping him. The first is that he takes playing time away from other young players who may need it, especially in crunch time. Secondly, he's an asset that will probably only decline after next season. Rebuilding teams don't have the luxury of keeping declining assets like Barbosa because they need players who will either help them over the next 5-8 years (which for a guy like Barbosa who has had the injury history he has is doubtful) or assets that increase in value. Barbosa sin't either of those.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •