Colangelo on Fan590 - May 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo on Fan590 - May 19

Bryan Colangelo joined the Fan 590 in Toronto with Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt to talk about his new contract extension, whether or not he would’ve like a longer deal from the Raptors, and what he thinks about the Raptors having the fifth pick in the draft.

How it came about that he got a new contract extension:

“The process was probably more of a thorough analysis of what was going on. There was some discussion and talk at the board level. There was not much of a negotiation and in fact there was no negotiation going on until just a few days ago. When it all came together it came together very quickly between myself and Richard Tuesday morning, but it’s something that obviously took a little bit of time to come to a resolution but I think we can all say that we’re happy that it’s behind us and now we can move on with the business that’s so important to get to right now.”

Whether or not he was upset that he didn’t get a longer deal:

“Look Bob if someone offered you a ten year deal versus a two year deal what are you going to be happy with? You’re gonna be happy with the ten years and security, but that’s not the reality in this world that we live in. I understand where things are. Nobody is happy or content with where we are record-wise right now, but again if you look at some of the positives that have been done of the last several years now that we are realizing that it’s time to rebuild and we’ve gone through the initial phases of that there’s some realism to what we’re doing. I understand perfectly well the position the board took not only with their apprehension to move forward, but ultimately making the decision with some very clear goals and objectives.”

On the idea that being at pick number five might be better than being at pick number three:

“I absolutely concur. You’ve kinda hit the nail on the head. After the top two picks and I might’ve said this last night talking to a few people, I think there is a very clear two picks and then there are several players that we like. If you were to ask me who number three was I’m not sure I would have the answer for you and it’s not because we’re not prepared, it’s that there’s another five weeks to go in the process and I think some of the things, the warts, the background discussions, the medical discussions, those things kinda clear the air there. I have to say that if we’re looking at addressing some of our needs or areas of concern there’s several players that we like. I don’t think it’s a draft that’s 10 or 12 deep, but I do think there’s a good six or eight players that I’d be pretty excited about joining our team right now. You can just look at a couple of the names in the guard category. You’ve got Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker probably after those top two. There’s a couple of the European bigs that I think are interesting, (Jonas) Valanciunas and then (Enes) Kanter who was at Kentucky this year without eligibility. There’s an international big that has kinda burst onto the scene, a guy who is going to be talked about, Bismack Biyombo who played very well at the hoop summit just a couple of weeks ago. Jan Vesely might be the most talented of all the Europeans that is out there. He’s a long 6-11 three or four who can address a few areas of need and there’s a couple of dark horses who I will probably keep off the list now. I listed five or six names there and I haven’t said anything about Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams, the clear-cut one and two it looks like. There may be some jockeying for position or there might be some of those picks available at the top because it’s not considered a really deep draft but I think there are going to be some impact players that emerge perhaps less than in previous seasons because there were a couple of top five defections but it’s gonna be an opportunity for us to certainly add someone nice. The benefit is, if I can look at this with a silver lining, there’s going to be a little less of a cap charge for the fifth pick as opposed to the third pick. It’s funny a lot of people kept saying you can’t pick a guy at three that’s too high. Well at five it becomes a little more palatable if you know what I mean.”
    http://sportsradiointerviews.com/201...the-nba-draft/

What I find interesting is who he did not mention: Kawhi Leonard.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    http://sportsradiointerviews.com/201...the-nba-draft/

What I find interesting is who he did not mention: Kawhi Leonard.
    I just mentioned in the Combine thread how I saw the interview BC did with them(NBATV guys I think?), and ya know what, he didn't mention Leonard in that one either. Maybe trying to keep him on the low so he doesn't get too hyped?

Time shall tell. Maybe he's actually just not interested

Comment

heck even donatas motiejunas wasn't mentioned :P

U guys and ur smoke screens ...lol

Comment

he mentioned leonard in the one right after the draft.

ugh he talked about vesley too much for my liking.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Coangelo, "and there’s a couple of dark horses who I will probably keep off the list now."
          Oh Bryan you mysterious bastard!
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            he mentioned leonard in the one right after the draft.

ugh he talked about vesley too much for my liking.
            Washington is very much in love with Vesely. It could be pandoring to get them perhaps to juice a trade up a spot taking who BC really wants, he pays less and perhaps steals a bit piece or 2nd rounder. Some of the crap he is saying is for the other teams, and the players he does not want to talk about too much are the ones he really wants but does not want another GM to hold over him.

imo. What I would do.

Comment

Agree totally
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I love trying to decipher what the GMs are trying to do when they talk pre-draft. While Stu Jackson basically destroyed the Grizzlies in Vancouver, the one thing he did well was try and convince the Clippers to take Olowakandi and not Bibby at the #1 spot.

``I think they have to (take him),'' Jackson said. ``Can you let that go by?''
                Uh, yes. You can.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

BC needs to hype Vesely up as much as possible. He's the one player, in my opinion, who could sway Cleveland into passing on Kanter. The more Vesely is seen as a big-time prospect, the more likely the Cavs see him in kind as a solution to their wing deficiency.

Comment

I know everyone loves a good conspiracy but do you honestly think other teams have paid staff who are scouring the internet to listen to every podcast and radio interview made by other the other 29 GMs? I mean honestly think about that for a minute.

You're giving these guys way too much credit. The only information/posturing/smokescreens that they do are done in the privacy of personal phone calls and conference calls to eachother. Everything we hear from the media is worthless, or directed to their bosses to show they're actually doing something.
                    Last edited by ebrian; Fri May 20, 2011, 01:45 PM.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                      BC needs to hype Vesely up as much as possible. He's the one player, in my opinion, who could sway Cleveland into passing on Kanter. The more Vesely is seen as a big-time prospect, the more likely the Cavs see him in kind as a solution to their wing deficiency.
                      Uh, you know they've got Joey Graham, right? And he's a mad dunker.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                        I know everyone loves a good conspiracy but do you honestly think other teams have paid staff who are scouring the internet to listen to every podcast and radio interview made by other the other 29 GMs? I mean honestly think about that for a minute.

You're giving these guys way too much credit. The only information/posturing/smokescreens that they do are done in the privacy of personal phone calls and conference calls to eachother. Everything we hear from the media is worthless, or directed to their bosses to show they're actually doing something.
                        It's not that they're listening to everything, but news gets around. If Colangelo is talking a lot about a player, other teams are going to take an extra look. It's not a conspiracy. It's pretty much common knowledge this sort of thing happens. I've seen plenty of it over the years. One great example is when Rick Pitino was in Boston and he started questioning whether he would draft Ron Mercer, who played for him at Kentucky. Mercer, who was projected to be a top 5 pick, dropped and Pitino ended up taking him at 6. Whether Pitino badmouthing Mercer had anything to do with him dropping, it was clear that was his intention.
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          Uh, you know they've got Joey Graham, right? And he's a mad dunker.
                          Joey Graham?

Jan Vesely has 4 inches on Joey Graham. He's a much better scorer and is a better player in the post. Graham is also 28 and wasn't really any good to begin with. Useless, in other words, to a rebuilding team. Vesely is still learning and is 7 years younger. If Vesely continues to develop his jumpshot, he'll be extremely useful for the Cavs. I want to stress again the fact he's 6'11". The only reason Perry Jones got any attention was because of his height and athleticism. Vesely is basically the same, except he plays with fire. If Perry Jones was still in the draft, it wouldn't be crazy at all for the Cavs to consider taking him at the four spot - despite the presence of Joey Graham.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            One great example is when Rick Pitino was in Boston and he started questioning whether he would draft Ron Mercer, who played for him at Kentucky. Mercer, who was projected to be a top 5 pick, dropped and Pitino ended up taking him at 6. Whether Pitino badmouthing Mercer had anything to do with him dropping, it was clear that was his intention.
                            That's one example in a situation where a former coach said something about a former player. Colangelo saying he thinks Vesely is pretty good means absolutely nothing. If anything, I would say Colangelo credibility of Euro scouting is questionable (see Bargnani).

I find it really hard to believe you guys believe in all this. It's one thing for the media, because they eat it up, spit out conspiracies, which then leads to higher readership and thus generates revenue. But that's where it should stop. The very fact that as you said "it's pretty much common knowledge this sort of thing happens" confirms it. If it's common knowledge, why would anyone bother listening or posturing?

Anyway, back on topic. To Jeff: I'm not saying Vesely sucks, but you have to give us a bit more than "he's basically the same (as Perry Jones), except he plays with fire" to convince us that he's a good choice. From what I've seen of his game, I'd say he could potentially be a poor man's version of a post-2006 Andrei Kirilenko.
                            Last edited by ebrian; Fri May 20, 2011, 02:43 PM.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                              Joey Graham?

Jan Vesely has 4 inches on Joey Graham. He's a much better scorer and is a better player in the post. Graham is also 28 and wasn't really any good to begin with. Useless, in other words, to a rebuilding team. Vesely is still learning and is 7 years younger. If Vesely continues to develop his jumpshot, he'll be extremely useful for the Cavs. I want to stress again the fact he's 6'11". The only reason Perry Jones got any attention was because of his height and athleticism. Vesely is basically the same, except he plays with fire. If Perry Jones was still in the draft, it wouldn't be crazy at all for the Cavs to consider taking him at the four spot - despite the presence of Joey Graham.
                              I was being sarcastic, you realize.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X