Kanter rejects Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kanter rejects Raptors

Turkish big man Enes Kanter is one of the more intriguing prospects in this year's draft. He's skilled, tall, and filled with enough question marks to entice some general managers to take a risk. He also hasn't played organized basketball in more than a year after being declared academically ineligible to play for Kentucky due to a prior relationship with a Turkish club team. And while that incident says more about NCAA rules than Kanter's character, there's some question as to how long it will take him to get acclimated to the NBA.

To his credit, though, he seems to have a plan of attack for interviewing with his prospective employers: only visit with the ones he wants to play for. This should go great!

That's the report from ESPN's Andy Katz, via Chris Littmann on Twitter:
    Interesting, @ESPNAndyKatz said Enes Kanter "stood up" Toronto, Milwaukee, Utah for interviews. Guess he won't interview with them at all.
    Word is that Kanter is taken with the Wizards, the team led by his (kind of sort of) Kentucky friend John Wall(notes). Washington, D.C., is a much larger market than any of the cities he skipped out on Friday, but they also may be several years away from success.

Kanter's Gambit here is pretty clear: He wants to force these teams to pass on him so that he can end up with a city and franchise he likes. It's a strategy Ricky Rubio(notes) employed in 2008 with poor results -- the Minnesota Timberwolves picked him and he has spent the last two years in Spain. Kanter can do much the same and possibly even avoid Rubio's state of limbo. Because he's not currently tied to any team, Kanter can choose to spend another year away from professional basketball and reenter the draft next season.

The problem there is that, given that he's already sat out a year and spent his last season of amateur ball facing below-average competition, it's likely that one more year on the sidelines would make Kanter a far less intriguing prospect. Teams like potential, but they also like proven results, and Kanter's draft profile in 2012 would be based on one stellar performance in the Nike Hoop Summit two years prior with nothing substantive to follow. Like all draft prospects, Kanter already requires a leap of faith. In 2012, it'd be more like an extreme base jump into a chasm of doubt. Kanter has some amount of leverage, but he might not be in quite as solid a situation as his behavior indicates.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-wp3627

Good, I didn't want us getting him anways.

Holy crap. It's amazing how fans can overreact. First of all, it's most likely the agent that orchestrated this. Not Kanter. And as has been discussed, it probably has to do with wanting him to be drafted by a team where he will be able to have a good chance to start. The agent obviously feels that Toronto already has Bargnani, so don't need a center. Little do they apparently know that center is the team's biggest need and Bargnani is probably gone this summer.

Also, Kanter has planned a later interview with Utah, so this article is not telling the whole story. Shocking, isn't it.

But let's all jump to conclusions based on nothing but rumour and hearsay. That's the norm, isn't it?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

For all we know, Kanter ate bad shellfish and had the scoots so couldn't sit through interviews without wearing a diaper. We simply have know idea why. I have found several articles that says
      Enes has publicly stated that he would most enjoy playing for Minnesota, Cleveland or Washington and he listed Washington as his ideal top choice
      http://www.opposingviews.com/i/2011-...to-enes-kanter

I have found other articles that say he wants to play for Utah (posted on other thread). So who the hell knows what this 19 yr old wants. I think he will be very happy to play with Toronto, if he happens to fall all the way to 5th.
      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
        For all we know, Kanter ate bad shellfish and had the scoots so couldn't sit through interviews without wearing a diaper. We simply have know idea why. I have found several articles that says http://www.opposingviews.com/i/2011-...to-enes-kanter

I have found other articles that say he wants to play for Utah (posted on other thread). So who the hell knows what this 19 yr old wants. I think he will be very happy to play with Toronto, if he happens to fall all the way to 5th.
        Not to mention, all these "articles" are hardly credible. The instant gratification tweets are bad enough, but then you have people writing about what they've heard elsewhere and before you know it, some tiny little morsel becomes fact. I can't wait for draft day to come, so we can stop speculating and just welcome Kanter, Flynn, Rubio and Bryant to Toronto.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
          For all we know, Kanter ate bad shellfish and had the scoots so couldn't sit through interviews without wearing a diaper. We simply have know idea why. I have found several articles that says http://www.opposingviews.com/i/2011-...to-enes-kanter

My question is, why would he enjoy playing for Minnesota. What's wrong with the boy? Who the hell enjoys playing for Minnesota?
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
            Not to mention, all these "articles" are hardly credible. The instant gratification tweets are bad enough, but then you have people writing about what they've heard elsewhere and before you know it, some tiny little morsel becomes fact. I can't wait for draft day to come, so we can stop speculating and just welcome Kanter, Flynn, Rubio and Bryant to Toronto.
            John Bryant is going to play for the Raptors? Awsome!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

And to put credibility in the hands of a writer who says that DC is a much larger
              Market than all the others listed...obviously does not check his facts since Toronto is the fourth largest market, and it 'ain't behind DC'.

Comment

And by the way this was FOLLOWED by an ESPN article that stated Kanter was atop the Raptors draft board.

Comment

If a player skipped an interview on me, I would not waste my pick on him or even be adding to his stock.

(I am not saying he skipped the interview, I don't know, but if he did, thats that... )
                  Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat May 21, 2011, 08:22 AM.

Comment

there goes his deal with a toronto-based turkish food retailer

Comment

I was just thinking (hide your women and goats), when these players declare for the draft, there should be some sort of contract that gets signed that STATES clearly that the player will provide reasonable access and accept solicitations from teams that can draft him. The entrance into the NBA draft, should require this very basic agreement.

Players this green should not be destroying the rules the league has set up. I am getting sick of the drama of some players wanting to be drafted here or not there. If a player does anything noncompetitive in a draft, he should be fined by being withdrawn from the current draft and relegated to the next. Simple as that.

I think these kinds of antics hurt the league and its credibility, and the hammer should come down hard on players that act bigger than the league itself and try to skirt regulations set up for competition. The order of the picks should decide player destination, not player preference.
                      Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat May 21, 2011, 09:01 AM.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                        I was just thinking (hide your women and goats), when these players declare for the draft, there should be some sort of contract that gets signed that STATES clearly that the player will provide reasonable access and accept solicitations from teams that can draft him. The entrance into the NBA draft, should require this very basic agreement.
                        Do the NFL and NHL have such a contract? I distinctly remember the Bo Jackson and Eric Lindros pre-draft circuses and in Lindros' case, the post-draft circus as well.

It is a sobering thought that both Jackson and Lindros were much, much better prospects than Kanter but they never achieved greatness due to injuries.

Time will tell if the Kanter report is little more than posturing by someone who ranks 8th on some of the mock drafts.
                        Last edited by Hugmenot; Sat May 21, 2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                          And to put credibility in the hands of a writer who says that DC is a much larger
                          Market than all the others listed...obviously does not check his facts since Toronto is the fourth largest market, and it 'ain't behind DC'.
                          I chuckled reading that as well. The market here stretches throughout all of Canada anyways, their's stretches to... Baltimore?

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                            Do the NFL and NHL have such a contract? I distinctly remember the Bo Jackson and Eric Lindros pre-draft circuses and in Lindros' case, the post-draft circus as well.

It is a sobering thought that both Jackson and Lindros were much, much better prospects than Kanter but they never achieved greatness due to injuries.

Time will tell if the Kanter report is little more than posturing by someone who ranks 8th on some of the mock drafts.

I don't really care about the NFL or NHL, I care about the NBA, and I think the NBA should implement that. Very simple, you enter the draft, you make yourself available. Straight to the point. If we catch you tampering, you are out of the draft, no ifs or buts.

Besides I wouldn't be using the other leagues as yard sticks, they have their own issues.
                            Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat May 21, 2011, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Until I hear it out of Kanter's mouth, I'm not going to believe it. He needs to talk to Hedo Turkoglu and get a taste of the great Turkish community we have here in Toronto. And by great I mean those two guys running that hole-in-a-wall joint on Dundas West.

Comment

Working...
                              X