Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 114

Thread: Kanter rejects Raptors

  1. #21
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    as I have said numerous times on this board - his agent has been hiding him since that one game at the nike summit. He drank 9 rebulls and preformed better than expected. This guy is totally over rated. Drafting him would be a huge mistake. He has done nothing and I mean nothing to show he would even dominate the NCAA (which he also did not show up to play in)
    Again, you're just making stuff up. Please stop it.
    He participated in the Chicago Draft Combine with EVERY other Rookie. Except Irving. This is actually very rare for a player to skip it altogether. So what, is Irving hiding something? Common Chalz. You must have a good one for this.. no?
    In Masai we Trust.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    To be fair, I don't think Kanter had the option of skipping the workout, he even said it himself in his interview, he needed to show what he has. Irving has a solid body of work.



    Teams are taking a risk on him as it is, you and I may think its a good risk, but never the less there is no body of work to judge him on, just hype, and hearsay (hopefully its all correct, but unfortunately none of us will know till he plays a game in the league).
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat May 21st, 2011 at 11:23 AM.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kanter you bitch let's work things out!
    @jerboat

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Kanter you bitch let's work things out!
    Kanter is a ....................18 year old euro who thinks hes top shit, when he hasn't proven anything, ......... this dude hes a ................ and .............ESPN.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun May 22nd, 2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: senseless profanity

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Issue here is BC has said time and time again he wants players that WANT to play here. This does not bode well for him getting drafted here.

    The way I see it, there's really only one option left: Roofies.
    @jerboat

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If Kanter is pulling a diva, or his agent is, its a little out step and counter to the "individual" I thought Kanter was supposed to be. (my compass is pointing to Walker at this point)

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto/Los Angeles
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 4th largest "MARKET" .. or did you mean 4th largest city size??

    Here's what Dime Magazine is saying about Toronto..

    http://dimemag.com/2009/07/accept-it...ket-franchise/


    Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    And to put credibility in the hands of a writer who says that DC is a much larger
    Market than all the others listed...obviously does not check his facts since Toronto is the fourth largest market, and it 'ain't behind DC'.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Holy crap. It's amazing how fans can overreact. First of all, it's most likely the agent that orchestrated this. Not Kanter. And as has been discussed, it probably has to do with wanting him to be drafted by a team where he will be able to have a good chance to start. The agent obviously feels that Toronto already has Bargnani, so don't need a center. Little do they apparently know that center is the team's biggest need and Bargnani is probably gone this summer.

    Also, Kanter has planned a later interview with Utah, so this article is not telling the whole story. Shocking, isn't it.

    But let's all jump to conclusions based on nothing but rumour and hearsay. That's the norm, isn't it?
    I don't believe that. Toronto fans don't understand the negative ramifications that come with booing every player who has a rough stint in Toronto. Don't get me wrong, I think Hedo deserves to be boo'd, but now we may be losing a really good draft pick because he probably doesn't like how the fans treated his fellow countrymen. Whatever, we got big Ed holdin it down anyways so who really cares.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How many times were the Raptors on ESPN, TNT or ABC last season? Three? Four?
    LOL, at the writers reasoning.


    The complexity of distribution between TNT, ESPN and a huge Canadian viewership, has little to do with Toronto being a small market. I agree it sucks the way TV markets are drawn up, and Toronto is the victim of this divide.

    However this has nothing to do with the size of this market. His argument would have made much more sense if he isolated the real reason instead of blowing a lot of hot air towards our city.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat May 21st, 2011 at 12:52 PM.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    I don't believe that. Toronto fans don't understand the negative ramifications that come with booing every player who has a rough stint in Toronto. Don't get me wrong, I think Hedo deserves to be boo'd, but now we may be losing a really good draft pick because he probably doesn't like how the fans treated his fellow countrymen. Whatever, we got big Ed holdin it down anyways so who really cares.

    Too bad for him. Welcome to professional sports, if you are small minded, and think that Toronto booed Hedo for being Turkish, than there is little that can be done to bridge that gap in your understanding.

    If Kanter is this small minded, and petty than I don't want him on this squad.

    (if that is the real reason, than his mental measurements are not coming in too strong)



    Toronoto paid Hedo his biggest contract of his career, and the fans welcomed his addition. His effort and play can certainly be questioned, just like any other pro athlete.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat May 21st, 2011 at 12:51 PM.

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The hype and hearsay around Kanter is being turned up a notch. He's down to 255lbs from 272 and his midrange jumper is improved.

    In the two most recent interviews I listened to of him [his English is much improved]] he says he wants to play PF.

    Not sure why he's not interested in the Raptors if it's true he won't workout for them. Coach Cal is a major influence on him so it could be coming from there.

  12. #32
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 1fitrainer wrote: View Post
    Here's what Dime Magazine is saying about Toronto..

    http://dimemag.com/2009/07/accept-it...ket-franchise/
    But the writer of this article defines "Big Market" as being on National TV ... thats about it. That's his basis? How many times you were on TNT? Thats stupid. Toronto makes more money than two-thirds of the league. Thats Big Market.
    We trail only New York, LA, Boston, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Chicago, Miami and Pheonix for Overall Revenues, even after less-than-mediocre play. Thats how I can tell if a Big City, is creating a Market that is responding to the Franchise.
    In Masai we Trust.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ed davis rejected are interview too.

    they let those mock draft and prospect lists get in their head and don't expect to drop as far as they actually could when draft day comes.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Again, you're just making stuff up. Please stop it.
    He participated in the Chicago Draft Combine with EVERY other Rookie. Except Irving. This is actually very rare for a player to skip it altogether. So what, is Irving hiding something? Common Chalz. You must have a good one for this.. no?
    not making stuff up the dude was suppose to play in Kentucky did not show

    Went instead to play a total of 9 unspectacular games against low level talent in Turkey

    Katner's agent has been hiding him the dude is over rated... maybe waaay over rated. I would not touch him wit a lottery pick
    Last edited by charlz; Sat May 21st, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I thought they never interviewed/worked out Ed cause they figured there was no way he would drop to us?
    @jerboat

  16. #36
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    not making stuff up the dude was suppose to play in Kentucky did not show

    Went instead to play a total of 9 unspectacular games against low level talent in Turkey
    "He didn't show"?! hahah Do you even know what really happened? You must not.
    But either way, Yes, you are making stuff up. Or you, like I said, are completely ignorant to actual situation. Which is fine. But maybe find out why he didn't play for Kentucky, but was instead a Student-Coach for the Wildcats all year. Do some reasearch. More than Wikipedia.
    Last edited by Joey; Sat May 21st, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 1fitrainer wrote: View Post
    Here's what Dime Magazine is saying about Toronto..

    http://dimemag.com/2009/07/accept-it...ket-franchise/
    Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    ummm whats the basketball watching/participating size in Toronto vs Washington? Cause I hardly think a puckhead that refuses to watch basketball or is willing to even spend a dime and go near the ACC when the leafs aren't there are exactly in a teams/players/agents target market.

    Maybe someone else should get their "facts" straight before they start spewing off numbers CTV or the TSN would use as opposed to the NBA, a team, an agent or Nike when they offer endorsement deals.
    Ok seriously, maybe "facts" should be what you should use then bubba, yet you did not use any. Toronto is a top 10 team value (from FORBES) Washington - 19th, one of 6 teams to actually make money, all this while having these low attendance records. Washington has been in and out of financial trouble, Toronto not so much. But I guess that larger target market will help them out.

    The article from Dime Mag is an op-ed piece, not a fact-piece, and if the measure of a team market as being how many times they are on ESPN? Come off it with garbage like that. The specific reference to Bosh not being as popular as Chris Paul because he plays in Canada? Gee, how has Miami worked out for him. His Q scores dropped, players come out repeatedly about how crap a player he is (Durant, Boozer, etc plus retired players), so MAYBE his popularity was more to do with Chris Paul is an awesome player and Bosh is not.

    If the argument is a larger opportunity for endorsements, however your argument about target market is also off since Utah (who is also higher on Forbes list than DC) was included, which has a large, very dedicated fan base, especially for a turkish player (Okur).

    However if you want to use attendance #s:
    Toronto/Washington
    2001: 19,347/15,546
    2002: 19,743/20,674
    2003: 18,963/20,172
    2004: 18,307/15,740
    2005: 17,155/17,196
    2006: 17,056/17,196
    2007: 18,372/18,258
    2008: 19,435(98.2%)/17,962
    2009: 18,773(94.8%)/16,612 (82.4%)
    2010: 17,897(90.4%)/16,204(80.3%)
    2011: 16,566(83.7%)/16,791((83.2%)
    so despite having a larger stadium (capacity 10+% more) they do not seem to draw as many fans from their target market to the games.

    Not only that the Raptors were 8th this year in road attendance at 91.9%, Utah 10th, DC?: 18th. Top 5: Heat, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks.

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    But the writer of this article defines "Big Market" as being on National TV ... thats about it. That's his basis? How many times you were on TNT? Thats stupid. Toronto makes more money than two-thirds of the league. Thats Big Market.
    We trail only New York, LA, Boston, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Chicago, Miami and Pheonix for Overall Revenues, even after less-than-mediocre play. Thats how I can tell if a Big City, is creating a Market that is responding to the Franchise.

    while a TV market is only part of a market, you can't ignore it either. Especially if we are talking from a players perspective. Players want to get their name out there for attention, for endorsement deals and I imagine some for their ego. The more they can brand their name, the more money they can make (both within and outside of their contract with a team).

    This is perhaps the biggest issue with Toronto and players, its lack of nationally televised games (in America that is). Even when Vince was here, and Toronto was competing at a high level, the team didn't get much coverage. If the team isn't getting coverage the players aren't getting coverage. If a player isn't getting coverage, they aren't getting their name out.

    Look at Bosh. Two of his issues with playing in Toronto were going home and having to watch 15 minutes of hockey highlights before the 10 seconds of Raptors coverage. His other criticism was being a 20-10 guy and nobody knowing who you were.

    Even if one wants to believe the players may not care about this stuff, well their agents do. Since agents take a portion of a players proceeds, they want that player to make as much as possible, and don't think for a second their agents don't know and understand this stuff.

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree the TV divisions are a problem for a lot of Americans.


    However national coverage is also based on success, ESPN carried Toronto games when Vince was in his prime. Not as many as we would of liked, but the US market was far from hurting for Toronto content. If a team is exciting, they will get highlights.


    If we make the playoffs, they have no choice but to carry us. Let's face it you are not watching the Thunder because they are from Oklahoma.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat May 21st, 2011 at 01:41 PM.

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    Ok seriously, maybe "facts" should be what you should use then bubba, yet you did not use any. Toronto is a top 10 team value (from FORBES) Washington - 19th, one of 6 teams to actually make money, all this while having these low attendance records. Washington has been in and out of financial trouble, Toronto not so much. But I guess that larger target market will help them out.

    The article from Dime Mag is an op-ed piece, not a fact-piece, and if the measure of a team market as being how many times they are on ESPN? Come off it with garbage like that. The specific reference to Bosh not being as popular as Chris Paul because he plays in Canada? Gee, how has Miami worked out for him. His Q scores dropped, players come out repeatedly about how crap a player he is (Durant, Boozer, etc plus retired players), so MAYBE his popularity was more to do with Chris Paul is an awesome player and Bosh is not.

    If the argument is a larger opportunity for endorsements, however your argument about target market is also off since Utah (who is also higher on Forbes list than DC) was included, which has a large, very dedicated fan base, especially for a turkish player (Okur).

    However if you want to use attendance #s:
    Toronto/Washington
    2001: 19,347/15,546
    2002: 19,743/20,674
    2003: 18,963/20,172
    2004: 18,307/15,740
    2005: 17,155/17,196
    2006: 17,056/17,196
    2007: 18,372/18,258
    2008: 19,435(98.2%)/17,962
    2009: 18,773(94.8%)/16,612 (82.4%)
    2010: 17,897(90.4%)/16,204(80.3%)
    2011: 16,566(83.7%)/16,791((83.2%)
    so despite having a larger stadium (capacity 10+% more) they do not seem to draw as many fans from their target market to the games.

    Not only that the Raptors were 8th this year in road attendance at 91.9%, Utah 10th, DC?: 18th. Top 5: Heat, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks.
    Again you are ONLY considering attendance (which by the way Washinton's attendance exceed Toronto's 5 times in 10 years which goes to show that it is a pretty even split but within a smaller population) and the "value" of a team is not directly related to that teams market (but they may consider it as part of the value depending on how one values the team).

    How many people in an area are willing to watch basketball... to pay for basketball related items?
    Whats the TV viewership?
    What teams are watched on a national scale?

    You don't think these play a role?

    I'm not saying Toronto's market is FOR SURE larger or smaller than Washingtons, but don't think for a second that since the GTA has a larger population that it instantly means it has a larger market. It has a larger POTENTIAL market. But not necessarily a larger real market.

    Welcome to the world that is much larger than just your local city and its surrounding areas.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •