Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 146

Thread: Draft Profile: Jonas Valanciunas

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,210
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Chad Ford Mock Draft 2.0: Raptors Select Jonas Valanciunas

    Here we go:

    Analysis: Many NBA scouts insist that Valanciunas could be the best international player in the draft. While Raptors president Bryan Colangelo hasn't been afraid to gamble on European players in the past, there are concerns about the buyout terms of Valanciunas' contract -- some teams are skeptical that he'll be in the NBA for the next few years. Still, he appears to be the most likely choice for the Raptors.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    on top of Jenna Jameson
    Posts
    764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Here we go:
    Valanciunas seems awesome. Hopefully the buyout is small (does anyone know the buyout? I haven't been able to find any info on this.) and that he actually wants to come to the NBA. Kleiza should help with Jonas immensely. I say, with the 5th - do it! Book 'em Dan-Oh.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    Valanciunas seems awesome. Hopefully the buyout is small (does anyone know the buyout? I haven't been able to find any info on this.) and that he actually wants to come to the NBA. Kleiza should help with Jonas immensely. I say, with the 5th - do it! Book 'em Dan-Oh.
    Whatever the buyout is, we can't offer more than $500k.

    I'm not that big on Valanciunas. He fouls at a concerning rate, even in the Euroleague, and if you watch his videos, he gets away with fouls that would be called in the NBA. I'm worried he won't be playing more than 10-15 minutes per game his first few seasons.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    Valanciunas seems awesome. Hopefully the buyout is small (does anyone know the buyout? I haven't been able to find any info on this.) and that he actually wants to come to the NBA. Kleiza should help with Jonas immensely. I say, with the 5th - do it! Book 'em Dan-Oh.
    Chad Ford is saying that the european contract is going to be a sticking point, and that Jonas may not be available for a season or more.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't see Kanter dropping to 5, especially in a weak draft.

    I also don't see Colangelo selecting a Euro big. No telling when they would be able to suit up and he needs to pick a player that is a 'safer' pick and someone that can help this team now and over the next few years as the talent dearth on this team is a huge issue.

    Have a feeling you are going to see Walker, Burcs or Knight in a Raps uniform next year.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    I don't see Kanter dropping to 5, especially in a weak draft.

    I also don't see Colangelo selecting a Euro big. No telling when they would be able to suit up and he needs to pick a player that is a 'safer' pick and someone that can help this team now and over the next few years as the talent dearth on this team is a huge issue.

    Have a feeling you are going to see Walker, Burcs or Knight in a Raps uniform next year.
    I hope not. None of those guys have the upside the Raptors desperately need. Screw the "help the team now" strategy. The Raptors need the best player 3-5 years from now.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can't see Kanter falling to 5. However, stranger things have happened. If Minnesota passes on him at 2, I can't see Utah or Cleveland picking him up.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Guelph,ON
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    no more euros im sick and tired of them, i say we trade this pick we need some experience

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Rookie Madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    go download the NBA today podcast where they preview all the top players in the draft, they do an amazing job of telling you why, no team should touch this guy with that high of a pick

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,817
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know if I'm sold on this guy. I've only seen him on YouTube though so who knows, I'm not gonna pretend like I've seen any more... But what position do you guys envision him playing? I guess if he adds some weight he'd be at the C? I think the team looks fine at PF with Amir and Ed.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Guelph,ON
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    isnt this bargs 2.0?

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hassan wrote: View Post
    isnt this bargs 2.0?
    Uh, no? But thanks for showing us that you know absolutely NOTHING about the players you're advising us to not draft, except that he's European.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    on top of Jenna Jameson
    Posts
    764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Uh, no? But thanks for showing us that you know absolutely NOTHING about the players you're advising us to not draft, except that he's European.
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know we could only offer $500,000. I realize he is a project, but he does have a lot of potential. His ceiling is pretty high. But man, what a weak draft. We will find out everyone's true basketball chops at the pre-draft workouts. My opinion is pretty high on this guy though.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hopefully we don't get him.

    Quote RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know we could only offer $500,000. I realize he is a project, but he does have a lot of potential. His ceiling is pretty high. But man, what a weak draft. We will find out everyone's true basketball chops at the pre-draft workouts. My opinion is pretty high on this guy though.
    If we are going to get a "project" it should be Bismack. He's younger, more ability defensively and freakish athleticism.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Hopefully we don't get him.



    If we are going to get a "project" it should be Bismack. He's younger, more ability defensively and freakish athleticism.
    Or Bismark could be older. We just don't know, do we?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Hopefully we don't get him.



    If we are going to get a "project" it should be Bismack. He's younger, more ability defensively and freakish athleticism.
    Not that I'm advocating for Valanciunas (should be obvious by now I'm not that high on him), but Biyombo is only "younger" by three and a half months. And that's only if his birth date is accurate.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie Raśl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He's not younger both are '92 and Biyombo's age has been questioned. Jonas is a true Center, has great euroleague experience compared to Biyombo (who plays for a middle of the pack Spanish team) and he's with 18 y.o. the best rebounder per 40 minutes in the Euroleague.

    Biyombo has some attention because of his wingspan and block ability but his wingspan is just an inch longer than Jonas and he has not size to play the post. Plus we know he's blocking ability has to develope to succed in the NBA. Jonas is the best prospect at Center and the best international prospect. He has the higher celling of all the candidates

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd be happy with Val, he's a high potential pick with massive upside. He is one of the only guys in the draft that has the potential to be the best player in the draft and become a franchise guy. To me it really depends if he is for sure coming over. If he is then he may be the best pick at 5, if he isn't I'd pass and take another high risk guy like Walker or Biyombo. At this spot we are almost guaranteed to either take a big project or get a guy with some pretty big question marks so a legit 7 foot guy with a high motor sounds pretty good.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    chad ford's mock draft from 2010 http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/espn-cha...draft-1369080/

    the guy is not accurate at all

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    chad ford's mock draft from 2010 http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/espn-cha...draft-1369080/

    the guy is not accurate at all
    He was as close as anyone with that draft. And that was a full two months beforehand. I'd say he was pretty damn accurate, quite frankly, considering.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •