Draft Profile: Jonas Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Noah had the advantage of not being 6'6" in socks though. I don't know if Faried is a home run or fly ball out -- more like a solid single or double. It's his lack of height and thus perceived lack of upside that will have him find his way to yet another contending team.
    He might be short but check out his ridiculous measurements at the combine. He had a reach that was bigger than some of the 6.10-6.11 players there. I don't care about height, its reach that matters.
    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• Hedo talking about Kanter
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Draft Profile: Jonas Valanciunas

There is almost no doubt that Jonas Valanciunas has NBA game. He is an accomplished pick and roll player that just has a knack for getting to the front of the rim. He never overwhelms his man, but he flushes the ball with two hands more times than not and is simply bigger and stronger than most of the players he faces.

Valanciunas isn't explosive, but he is powerful and it's evident in his game film that he has a good feel for playing in the post, something he did about 16% of the time this season for Lietuvos Rytas.

As Draft Express' Jonathan Givony detailed for Yahoo!, Valanciunas does not have an NBA buyout clause in his deal with Lietuvos Rytas. He has three years remaining on his contract said to be worth roughly 40,000 EUR, 60,000 EUR and 100,000 EUR respectively according to sources. As some have described, it's about 200,000 EUR.

The problem with no NBA clause is that Lietuvos Rytas can hold Valanciunas hostage to a buyout on their terms. Fortunately they seem open to the idea of a deal and have retained a buyout attorney to represent the team in negotiating a deal.

Lietuvos Rytas is said to be strapped for cash, so a deal seems more achievable than some others in the past.

The likely settlement, which has been done before is that whatever team drafts Valanciunas would pay the NBA allowed $500,000 for his release and then Valanciunas would contribute a portion of his first contract to Lietuvos Rytas based on a sliding percentage scale based on where he gets drafted.

It's a bit complicated, but sources close to the process say that things are progressing nicely and that before the draft a framework of a deal will be in place so teams looking at Valanciunas will have more than enough assurances of his release.
        Source: HoopsWorld.com

Comment

• I actually think Valanciunas is more of a question mark than Kanter, mainly because I'm just not sure about those hands of his and his penchant for fouling. Scouts seem to think he might be the big man with the most potential in this draft, but while I don't dislike him, I haven't been incredibly impressed with what I've seen from him.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
            I actually think Valanciunas is more of a question mark than Kanter, mainly because I'm just not sure about those hands of his and his penchant for fouling. Scouts seem to think he might be the big man with the most potential in this draft, but while I don't dislike him, I haven't been incredibly impressed with what I've seen from him.
            Myself, included. Not super impressed with what I've seen.
            The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
            Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
            www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
            http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
            http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

• Jonas Valanciunas Video

Yay or nay? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbF1X...otation_347270

Comment

• He doesn`t get any lift on those dunks :é

Comment

• This is another video that has been posted. Take the time to look through each specific draft prospects thread.

Comment

• I have been watching a lot of footage of this kid, and his touch around the basket is incredible. For his size he seems to do okay against much bigger and often older players in the eurolegue. He is only 19 years old, with a huge wingspan and some are reporting that he has not yet stopped growing.

I expected to see him get pushed around a lot with his skinny frame but he holds his own. If this kid could add 30-50 pounds he would be incredibly good. He really does have a motor and does not seem to ever be caught walking. I saw him set 3 picks on one possession. He is always doing something to help his teammates even if he does not have the ball. I have not caught him watching the action once, very active.

His defence is not there. That said, its not because he is not capable or does not show effort in the department, its just that he seems to be very green in this area. I don't want to say that he will become a good defender on the NBA level, but from what I have seen, it won't be because of a lack of effort, or will. The kid often looks like the hardest worker on court.
                    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sun May 29, 2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• I was just checking out Euro stats.

Fran Vazquez, a player that Orlando would love to have over. Who has developed a good reputation for his play, had the following stats (Vazquez is in his prime now).

VAZQUEZ, FRAN min:17:10 PPG: 8.1 FG: 65.3% FT: 75% Rebounds(O/D/T): 1.2/3.1/4.3 Fouls(Committed/Received):2.4/1.9

Valanciunas, Jonas min:15:25 PPG: 7.7 FG: 70.8% FT: 89% Rebounds(O/D/T): 1.8/4.0/5.8 Fouls(Committed/Received):3.1/1.6

What impresses me about the above numbers is the accuracy, and this kid is not allergic to rebounding. The next player on his team has 5.2 reb/game and that was in 28 minutes.

I don't think he is ready now, but if we are really looking for potential and upside. I am sold that he will be worth the 5th pick.
                      Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sun May 29, 2011, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• Jonas Valanciunas is known as one of the most talented European prospects. He made a huge leap from Lithuanian second league to a Euroleague starting five in only two years. The 19-year-old center has had a spectacular career so far but the most exciting moments are still ahead for Valanciunas.

This summer will be the most important and busiest in Valanciunas life, as the Lithuanian talent will participate in NBA Draft and will play in 2011 FIBA U19 World Championship. And that’s not all. Valanciunas will also try to do his best to be named to the final roster of the Lithuanian national team, which will play in EuroBasket 2011 this fall at their home country.

In an exclusive interview with RealGM, Valanciunas introduced himself and shared his thoughts about last season, the upcoming NBA Draft, the future of his NBA career and much more.

RealGM: First of all, could you describe yourself as a player for people who haven't seen you play?

Valanciunas: I am a player who can play both the center and power forward position and I spend most of the time under the basket. I like tough basketball; amazing dunks, blocked shots and I also try to grab rebounds.

RealGM: When did you realize that basketball was more to you than just a hobby?

Valanciunas: I understood that when I came to Vilnius when I was 14-years-old. I felt that basketball is what I want from this life and that I will not give up.

RealGM: Just a few years ago you played in the second Lithuanian league (NKL) and now you were the main center on a Euroleague team. Could you identify the main reasons for this quick progress in your career?

Valanciunas: Hard work, practices and a wish. I think I was lucky because the best Lithuanian basketball coaches were working with me. People also are talking that I am gifted and I have a long hands (smiling).

RealGM: How could you evaluate your 2010-11 season? How has the Euroleague experience changed your game?

Valanciunas: I evaluate this reservedly. I really was not happy about all the things I did on basketball court. Because of my young age and inexperience I was making mistakes. However, the experience I gained is very valuable. It really changed my game in local leagues (LKL and BBL) because I gained confidence.

RealGM: In your opinion, which aspects of your game need to improve the most to become a better player?

Valanciunas: I think I should improve everything. I should demonstrate more versatile basketball on offense since I cannot play only in pick and rolls all the time. After all, I shoot well from mid-range and beyond the arc in practices. I like to play my back-to-the-basket and I also can score over slower centers when I face the basket. Of course, I have to add more physical power, athletisim to my game, improve my spurt, accuracy. I have to learn how to read the game more better.

RealGM: How do you combine school and sports?

Valanciunas: It is difficult (smiling). I am trying to pay attention to school but things don't always go the way I want.

RealGM: Did you ever get an offer to study and play basketball in the U.S.?

Valanciunas: I didn’t get a real offer but I heard that there were indirect proposals to go to the States and play basketball there. However, I signed a contract with a professional basketball team pretty early and I don’t regret that because I have had a chance to show my self at the top European basketball level.

RealGM: I heard that your height is almost 6-foot-9 right now and you are still growing. Is it true? How much did you grow in the last two years?

Valanciunas: Without shoes my high is really 6-foot-9. With shoes it is almost 7-foot. I grew an about 1.5-2.3 inches in the last two years. I want to believe that I am still growing. To add another inch would be nice (smiling).

RealGM: A lot of NBA scouts came to Vilnius to see you play during the season. Moreover, just a few years ago people didn’t know you and now you are probably the most popular player in the country. Was it difficult to deal with the attention you received this season?

Valanciunas: I don’t think so. I just tried to avoid distraction before most important games and practices. I tried to focus on my work and then I always kindly communicate with people who want to talk with me. I don’t think that attention is a bad thing.

RealGM: You have mentioned that your favorite player is Dwight Howard. Is it still the case? Was he as an example and inspiration to you?

Valanciunas: Every NBA player can inspire you. I just like the way Howard plays. I like his dunks and his power when he plays under the basket. That’s why I don’t change my opinion.

RealGM: Do you believe that you could make an instant impact to your team's success or you would need few years to adapt? What kind of role would you want to have on your team?

Valanciunas: I think it depends on a team. Every rookie needs one or two seasons to adjust and be useful. I hope that I will need less time. I would want to be effective on both ends of the floor.

RealGM: A lot of European players are afraid to go play in the NBA because of the competition. Are you unafraid to compete with older, more experienced and athletic NBA players?

Valanciunas: If you are afraid why even enter the NBA Draft? It should be the opposite way. You need to be happy and use the opportunity to play with stronger players than you are. It helps to reach perfection.

RealGM: Are you influenced by either the successful or unsuccessful European players who have come to the NBA?

Valanciunas: It does not influence me. I think that everyone personally plans its own future.

RealGM: Do you pay attention to NBA Mock Drafts during the season or now?

Valanciunas: That is my agents’ job. However, I have heard that it means nothing. NBA teams don’t rely on them.

RealGM: Are you concerned with which NBA team will select you in the NBA Draft?

Valanciunas: I have never thought about it. There is no sense to do that. Any team can pick me and it would be unwise to expect something and later become disappointed. I hope the coach from the team that picks me will help me to get to the court as soon as possible.

RealGM: In your opinion, what can you do to help your team to improve? What are your strong sides?

Valanciunas: At the moment, I am pretty good at rebounding, doing pick and roll and free throws. I would not want to concentrate on just that, I hope I can improve my game and help the team to reach better results.

RealGM: What should NBA fans know about you on a personal level?

Valanciunas: I am a simple guy form Utena (smiling). I like to play basketball, go fishing, spend time with my friends and I also like cars.

RealGM: What are your plans for this summer?

Valanciunas: At the moment I am taking my final exams and later on I will join Lithuanian U19 team, which prepares for the upcoming FIBA U19 World Championship.

RealGM: Do you think you are ready to represent Lithuanian national team?

Valanciunas: I can’t answer this question. I won’t lie - I would love to try, but in my opinion only the best should play for the national team.

RealGM: Do you believe it is currently a good time to play in the NBA, or would you still want to remain in Europe?

Valanciunas: No one knows when its time to go play in NBA. I just know one thing, NBA is my dream and one day I will definitely play there. But we will see how everything will go. Maybe if lockout happens, I will have an opportunity to play some more in Europe.
                        Interview With Jonas Valanciunas - RealGM Articles

Comment

• Great interview thanks. Kid seems humble and motivated to be better. Sound very level headed.

I have bumped into too many uninformed comments about him (so sorry for the rant that is about to follow).

He is not Andrea 2.0, he is NOTHING like Andrea, their games have no similarity at all. He is a great rebounder and stays close to the basket. He is young and growing and I think he can put on some good weight. Do you guys remember how Bosh looked when he came into the league. (He got the same criticism, too skinny, maybe a bust at the NBA level. Like JV, Bosh had a very effective FG%, that stood out from the other bigs. Like JV, Bosh came on strong later in his collegiate career. I think this kid will be a solid player if he puts on some weight. He has the instinct for the game.)
                          Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed Jun 8, 2011, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                            Great interview thanks. Kid seems humble and motivated to be better. Sound very level headed.

I have bumped into too many uninformed comments about him (so sorry for the rant that is about to follow).

He is not Andrea 2.0, he is NOTHING like Andrea, their games have no similarity at all. He is a great rebounder and stays close to the basket. He is young and growing and I think he can put on some good weight. Do you guys remember how Bosh looked when he came into the league. (He got the same criticism, too skinny, maybe a bust at the NBA level. Like JV, Bosh had a very effective FG%, that stood out from the other bigs. Like JV, Bosh came on strong later in his collegiate career. I think this kid will be a solid player if he puts on some weight. He has the instinct for the game.)
                            Who on earth said he was Andrea 2.0? That makes about as much sense as saying that Fredette is John Stockton 2.0. Outside of their size and skin colour, there is absolutely no similarities. Valanciunas is raw offensively, but is a good defender and rebounder with a high motor. I don't think he's comparable to Bosh either, though. It's closer, but Bosh was better offensively than Valanciunas is. Valanciunas also is more of a banger than Bosh ever was. His build is the least of my worries with Valanciunas.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• No one here, thankfully, and that is why I post here.

Unfortunately, some people are still feeling shock from drafting Andrea, and anything from that side of the world is met with suspicion. I got a few comments like that on the combine videos I posted.

Maybe the 2.0 is meant in terms of "bust", but I don't think I would label Andrea a bust. A disappointment, yes... a bust, not quite.
                              Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed Jun 8, 2011, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                                No one here, thankfully, and that is why I post here.

Unfortunately, some people are still feeling shock from drafting Andrea, and anything from that side of the world is met with suspicion. I got a few comments like that on the combine videos I posted.

Maybe the 2.0 is meant in terms of "bust", but I don't think I would label Andrea a bust. A disappointment, yes... a bust, not quite.
                                People's idiocy never ceases to amaze me. I guess because he's European, then he's automatically compared to Bargnani by people who seem to have no understanding of basketball. Or reality.

On a side note, I find there are not very many places on the internet it is safe to discuss basketball without your intelligence (or self) being insulted by morons who either know nothing about basketball but pretend to, or do know about basketball, but are just complete idiots with the maturity of a 12 year old.
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X