Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0: Raptors select Jan Vesely

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

He's pretty much Kirilenko with hops. I'll take a pass on him. I don't see his offense translating well into the NBA and he already seems turnover prone. Definitely not worth a top 5 pick.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Macc wrote: View Post
    He's pretty much Kirilenko with hops. I'll take a pass on him. I don't see his offense translating well into the NBA and he already seems turnover prone. Definitely not worth a top 5 pick.
    You think he's Kirilenko with hops and you'd STILL take a pass on him? If he was Kirilenko with hops I might very well take him third.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I have serious doubts that Vesely is being given real consideration at 5. I've obviously got no proof, but this screams smokescreen to me. It's just too early to be taking this kind of insider crap seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

No Vesely. Just stop it Chad..

Raptors Republic Rookie Tortacular's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If he was AK-47 "with hops" uh... I'd take him gladly. AK could defend 1-5 in his prime. This guy can't even guard 3s, even when that is a position he could allegedly play.

I am taking this projection lightly, given Ford's usual infatuation with European talent.
    You can find me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

What does everyone here expect of this weak draft? this is a two person draft and even the experts say that Irving will be nothing more then solid for his NBA career. There is no way the Raptors are going to get a franchise player in this draft so why not just swing for the fences in the form of a Euro. Or would you really like to draft nothing more then a North American role player like Leonard or Chris Singleton. Vesely IS A EURO BUT HE DOESN"T PLAY LIKE A EURO. Not to mention nearly every prospect needs to work on their D when they get into the NBA.

What I see from Vesely is a 6'11 uber athletic forward who is 21...the kid has not fully developed yet, as a GM I'd rather be developing a young 6'11 SF rather then a young 6'7 SF who spent the last year playing against lesser competition.
    Opinionated blog about current NBA news and our very own Toronto Raptors
    http://cantfightthehustle.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like

Most teams who draft based on size and athleticism, with a lack of real skill right now end up drafting busts. As a GM, I'd rather be developing a player who has shown a lot of ability and know how on offense and defense. 6'7" is not small for a SF, it's actually pretty normal.

From what I've read Vesely is an over sized SF and an athletic freak but he can't shoot, can't create on his own and his man to man defense is so bad that teams routinely call iso on him to expose his weaknesses.

If you're a big supporter of Vesely then you're a big supporter of drafting a high risk project. There are guys who will be available at #5 with just as much potential, who are more skilled and less risk.

Post Thanks / Like

theres players in the bottom end of the draft id take over vesely. he screams bust to me.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another reason not to pick him....he thinks himself as a PF in the nba. Based on bodyweight alone (215) and no postup moves I have detected, these would be big red flags. Example, Bargs is now very vocal (see The Star) about the fact he is being made to play out of position. Presumably BC dragged him kicking and screaming to sign the 5 yr. deal to play as a centre. Wonder why he did not refuse.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...the-nba-draft/

Post Thanks / Like

An earlier Q&A chat with Chad Ford on ESPN:

Rob (Toronto):

Q.If you were Bryan Colangelo, who would you pick at #5? Point guard of the future or low post presence?

Chad Ford (1:29 PM):

A.They really need both so ... plus more help at the 3. You take the best player available and make the adjustments ... in free agency. At 5 ... it's probably a Euro ... I know that won't be popular with Raptors fans, but now that Colangelo has an extension, I don't think he's worrying as much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tank wrote: View Post
    An earlier Q&A chat with Chad Ford on ESPN:
    He forgot the word "ignorant" before "Raptors Fans".
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

ford is such a maroon sometimes
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    ford is such a maroon sometimes
    What's a "maroon"?
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

@jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    What's a "maroon"?
    "Moron" in 1950's cartoon language?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    He forgot the word "ignorant" before "Raptors Fans".
    Totally agree.

Raptors Republic Rookie Tortacular's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Chad Ford's track record with Euros is so bad I just roll my eyes at this point when he starts talking about some kid he's seen on tape for 5 minutes.

Nikoloz Tskitishvili 2.0, anybody?
    You can find me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Vesely is an Austin Daye 2.0, I'll pass thank you.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    Vesely is an Austin Daye 2.0, I'll pass thank you.
    Other than their size, I don't see the similarities at all.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

At 6’11″, Vesely is an absolutely intriguing European prospect because of his combination of crazy length and leaping ability. He’s an aerial act with an excellent vertical leap and often found on the receiving end of the alley-oop. At 240 lb.s already, its hard to imagine that with his wiry thin frame he will be able to put on much more muscle without it affecting his quickness and leaping ability, which is unfortunate. Nonetheless, he uses his athlete gifts very effectively to excel with his great motor and hustle play on both ends of the floor. On offense he’s a decent ball handler capable of busting a move on his man and burning him to the basket, but seems to prefer his right hand most of the time. Has a pretty nice crossover, but doesn’t seem super confident with his ball skills to go one on one that often. Good quickness driving to the basket, but it often seems like its either dunk or bust, usually opting not to take a runner of pull up jumper if he gets the closed off. Excels in catch and shoot situations by getting open without the ball in his hands and aggressively cutting to the basket or running off screens. When he does get the open look he’s more than happy to take it and can knock down the jumper from just about anywhere on the floor. Has an excellent fundamental shot that should ease his adjustment to knocking down the depth of NBA 3. On defense he’s a ball hawk and playmaker in getting steals and blocks thanks to his quickness, leaping ability and length. Has keen defensive instincts to hone in on getting help side blocks when his man gets beat, and blocks more perimeter shots than the average defender. Has average lateral quickness for a guy his size, but more than makes up with it in length and motor. Plays hard and aggressive man to man, applying tough pressure defense when his man has the ball and does an excellent job closing out and contesting shooters. Likely will struggle against the better athletes and quicker forwards of the league, but should be fine for the most part. An outstanding rebounder because of his length, athletic gifts, and flat out hustle tracking down loose boards. However, will have to be grittier to be effective in the NBA or will get pushed around and be unable to secure the ball against stronger players who could pry it away from him, which is where adding strength comes in. Developing some moves in the post and has a nice step through move, but not able to capitalize on his size advantage in the post due to a lack of refined moves. Strikes as a player with great hustle and energy in the league, but probably will never be a true star or difference maker down the stretch in big games. Projects mostly as a hustle role player and defensive playmaker, and should be a very good one. He’s a versatile player that can find a role on any team with his gifts on both ends of the court and projects as a mid-late lottery pick in the 2011 NBA Draft.
    Jan Vesely Profile on swishscout.com

http://swishscout.com/?page_id=1897
    @Chr1st1anL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information