Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudy Gay

Background...
    Memphis needs to re-up Gasol, and can use a perimeter threat to keep defences from collapsing the paint when Randolph and Gasol are wreaking havoc.

Gay is a solid small forward, an all-star in the making who no longer fits with Memphis.

O.J. Mayo showed signs of maturity and growth, there’s stability in Shane Battier and an edge in Tony Allen.

Gay has suddenly become redundant, an asset the Grizzlies must use to make themselves more championship-worthy.

Memphis came within one game of playing in the Western final because it rallied around Randolph and because it played tough.

Naturally, the Grizzlies would have welcomed Gay’s shot making and offence, but it was a team that evolved in Gay’s absence, undergoing a culture change that can no longer be sacrificed.
    How this relates to the Raptors...
    Colangelo could have acquired Gay in 2006 when the Raptors won the lottery and elected to use the first overall pick on Andrea Bargnani in a draft class many believed lacked a franchise player.

If anything, history has shown that Colangelo eventually gets his man and will do whatever it takes.
    According to the buzz, the Cavs dangled the No. 4 slot in the draft and their trade exception acquired in the LeBron James sign-and-trade with Miami for Gay.

Not surprisingly, Memphis said no.
    Perhaps the price may end up involving Bargnani, Toronto’s own trade exception obtained in the Chris Bosh sign-and-trade with the Heat, the No. 5 draft pick or any combination of assets for Gay.
    What must be made clear is that if Gay is indeed available, then expect the Raptors to be involved.

Imagine a remade Raptors team with Gay as the primary scoring option, DeMar DeRozan entering his third year, an emerging Ed Davis and the prospect of acquiring via free agency a legitimate rebounding centre.
    Source: Toronto sun

Someone else already made this trade proposal.
    I don't know Gayh that well, so I cant really judge, however, most people (i think everyone) said that they did not like trading for him.

Comment

This Toronto sun writer is an idiot. You cannot combine the TPE with a player to complete a trade, it must be equal to or greater than the contract returning. It is not.

Comment

What I had not previously noticed however was that Gay, a SF, had more rebounds per game, more steals per game and more blocks per game while shooting better FG% and 3pt% than Bargnani, a C.

Comment

Rudy Gay isn't getting traded. Memphis can match any offer Gasol gets. They have no reason to trade Rudy Gay, when they clearly needed him down the stretch in several playoff games. The idea that a team built around toughness and defense would want to trade for Andrea Bargnani is wishful thinking of the highest order.
          You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
            This Toronto sun writer is an idiot. You cannot combine the TPE with a player to complete a trade, it must be equal to or greater than the contract returning. It is not.
            +1. It amazes me how a fan, such as myself and many around here, have a better understanding of the CBA than professional journalists. It is like when I go car shopping and I research the hell out of it before going to the dealer only to correct the salesperson on their lines.

Comment

Tortacular wrote: View Post
              Rudy Gay isn't getting traded. Memphis can match any offer Gasol gets. They have no reason to trade Rudy Gay, when they clearly needed him down the stretch in several playoff games. The idea that a team built around toughness and defense would want to trade for Andrea Bargnani is wishful thinking of the highest order.
              the problem is they can't sign gasol. they'll be waaaaay over the cap, especially if it dips around 10M like they're saying it will. hence all the talk of trading gay and/or mayo. don't forget they have xavier henry waiting in the wings too, a guy id love to see the raps try and get.

frankly, im for getting gay. hes a consistent scorer who can create off the dribble, still very young and a solid defender. yes his contract is a little wonky but a lineup of gay/demar/ed/bayless in itself is going to win games. throw in a guy like deandre jordon and thats one of the best starting 5's the raptors have ever seen, if not the best. buy a late round pick and draft a guy like singleton/morris/leslie and them along with amir/kleiza/jj coming off the bench, thats a whole lotta fire power.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Tortacular wrote: View Post
                The only reason why memphis cant keep both gay and gasol is that the ownership is not willing to pay that much money for the team... especially with the new CBA likely to put a hard cap on the teams

Comment

I don't really buy the talk of Gay being available. However, just for fun here's one idea that combines the Gay rumour with another popular and unlikely Toronto rumour:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3c8838c

To Toronto:
                  Gay
                  Flynn

To Memphis:
                  #2 overall draft pick
                  Bargnani
                  Ridnour

To Minnesota:
                  Calderon
                  Mayo

Also, they need a fourth team with ability to absorb salary to make it all work (Clippers for example), who would probably gain a draft pick for their troubles.

Toronto lineup:
                  Flynn/Bayless
                  DeRozan/Barbosa
                  Gay/J. Johnson/Kleiza
                  Davis/A. Johnson/Kleiza
                  Kanter/UFA

Memphis lineup:
                  Conley/Ridnour
                  Allen/Henry
                  D. Williams/Young
                  Randolph/Bargnani/Arthur
                  Gasol/Bargnani/Arthur

Minnesota lineup:
                  Rubio/Calderon
                  Mayo/J. Selby
                  Beasley/Hayward
                  Randolph/Milicic
                  Love/Pekovic

Comment

Wow nice trade. That works for everyone, actually.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                      he's not an idiot he's just misinformed. I didn't know that either

Comment

He's reporting it to people, and the journalists golden rule is to check your sources. He did not. Thus, he is in fact a idiot.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                          he's not an idiot he's just misinformed. I didn't know that either
                          He's paid for, you're not
                          Let's go Raptors!

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            He's reporting it to people, and the journalists golden rule is to check your sources. He did not. Thus, he is in fact a idiot.
                            true...

Comment

teoserio wrote: View Post
                              He's paid for, you're not
                              ok my italian friend

Comment

Working...
                              X