No announcement yet.

Three Team Blockbuster Trade Rumor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodness, this is amazing. If the Raps were to pick up a big man in FA, it would give us the opportunity to draft either Walker or Knight. Our line up would be crazy !

Comment

• If this goes through, and Utah keeps the 3rd pick, I think it is very likely that they draft Knight. I think Minnesota would take either Kanter or Valanciunas.

Comment

• If they take Knight then what do they plan on doing with Devin Harris in his $18M remaining over two seasons? With Jefferson, Favors, Milsap and Okur already on the books it would mean that somebody is still getting traded should they draft a big man. My bet is Okur given that he's regressed and has an expiring deal.

Comment

• Interesting deal. Who knows what crazy thing David Kahn will do with the potential 4th and 8th pick they'd land in the deal..

I knew this trade was going to be revisited, it almost went through at the season's trade deadline involving only Cleveland and Detroit, but apparently Hamilton botched it.

BC should try and take Cleveland's spot in this rumored deal, and offer the T-Wolves one of either Bargnani/Calderon (whichever one they want, preferably the former) and the Raptor's own fifth pick in exchange for their second pick. Or maybe I'm just dreaming lol..

Comment

• A long but great debate about should the Grizzlies trade Rudy Gay between Ric Bucher and Chris Broussard.

ESPN Insider
            http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...ory?id=6602765

Question: Should the Memphis Grizzlies trade Rudy Gay?
            BUCHER: The Memphis Grizzlies knocked off the top-seeded San Antonio Spurs and pushed the Oklahoma City Thunder to seven games in the conference semifinals, all without their second-highest-paid player and second-leading scorer, Rudy Gay, who had season-ending shoulder surgery in late March.

While a number of opposing GMs are convinced the Grizzlies will put Gay on the market to lighten their payroll, because they did so well without him and need to re-sign two key free agents, Marc Gasol and Shane Battier, owner Michael Heisley has said he has no intention of moving Gay. The question is, would they be better served to keep him or not? I believe there's a reason the team found its stride after Gay got injured and that it should look to move him.

BROUSSARD: I think the Grizzlies should try to make it work with Gay. He's too talented to move without at least giving him a try. While they had a terrific playoff run, they are far from a complete team, far from a team that can just get rid of a guy like Gay without seeing if he can fit in first. The major weakness of the Grizzlies was their inability to hit 3-pointers, and Gay is one of their better long-range shooters. That, combined with his midrange game and scoring ability off the drive, should only make Memphis better -- if he makes an effort to fit into its inside-out game rather than be a ball stopper. Gay came out of a strong system at UConn, so I believe he can fit in. At the very least, the Griz should give him a chance.

RB: On paper, I agree that Gay provides a piece that was missing in the Grizzlies' playoff arsenal: namely, a guy who can create his own shot with a game on the line. And my suggestion that they move him is based on the presumption that they're going to get a similarly talented player back. Who that player would be is a big factor in this.

But let's face it, there were massive chemistry issues with the Grizzlies that were holding them back, issues that were resolved with the injury to Gay and the acquisition of Shane Battier. I would like to believe that Rudy saw how successful the team was without him and would be willing to change how he plays, to commit more effort on defense, stop taking tough shots and move the ball quicker. I would have more confidence that that could happen if he'd found a way to be more effective incorporating his talents with Team USA.

The fact is Andre Iguodala, who doesn't have the same pure talent, made the exact transformation both last summer and this season that Gay needs to make. The tricky part, as I see it, is that there is obviously a tremendous amount of interest in Gay and the market may never be better than it is right now. The suitors for him now may not have the cap room to acquire him under the next CBA, or the same inclination to trade for him if the Grizzlies' experiment in bringing him back doesn't work.

CB: At one time I thought a Gay-for-Iguodala trade would be a good idea -- for both the Grizzlies and the Sixers. But what you like to call "a transformation" was really regression. Fact is that while Iguodala is wildly athletic and versatile, he's not skilled enough to be a No. 1 or No. 2 scorer on a deep playoff team. He's now a role player -- a valuable and versatile one, to be sure, but he has become a better, glorified version of Sam Young.

My point is that the Griz already have good role players, including Battier. What they need now is a bona fide perimeter scorer who can give them 20 points a night. That's Gay. Gay was a 40 percent 3-point shooter this year! Imagine if he had played in that series against OKC. He would have opened up the post for Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol and left OKC with too many poisons to pick from.

Gay shoots only 16 times a game. It's not like he's a volume shooter. He's efficient and a good rebounder, as well. Watching the Griz do it without him will only make him want to fit into Lionel Hollins' new system. OK, he may drop to 18 points per game and be the second-leading scorer to Randolph. But by bringing his unique skill set to Memphis and helping the Griz become legitimate contenders, he'll get more love, respect and accolades than he ever would as a 22-point scorer on a lottery team, and I think Rudy's smart enough to realize that. Memphis needs to keep him.

RB: You are, to this point, the only person I know who views how Iguodala played last season as a regression. He made the 76ers collectively better by putting more into defense and becoming immensely more efficient on offense. He was an all-defensive selection (second team) for the first time in his career and Doug Collins, who does not hand out compliments gratuitously, thought he deserved more defensive player of the year consideration than he received. He also was far more efficient with the ball, as his career-high assist-to-turnover ratio reflected.

That's the "regression" Rudy needs to experience if he's going to improve this Memphis team and not set it back. And how can you say he's not a volume shooter? He averaged the most shots on his team and was among the top 20 in the league in shots taken, yet was 65th in points produced per shot. Perhaps most important, the Grizzlies won when he shot less last season. An opposing player told me they knew they could beat the Grizzlies by forcing Rudy (and Zach) into bad shots because they would still take them.

For Rudy's and the Grizzlies' sake, I'd love to see him realize it's incumbent upon him now to change, but why didn't he accept that last season before he got hurt? Why didn't he learn the same lesson about how to win that every other guy who played on Team USA in Istanbul did? I hate to be the curmudgeon on this; I prefer believing guys will evolve and mature. But don't tell me what he could provide if he changed -- heck, we all know that. And don't tell me about what he'd reap by making the transformation -- we all know that, too. Just tell me why I should believe that Rudy has it in him to change, one thing he's done previously that suggests he's capable of being a different guy. Because that's one thing that is not debatable: Rudy has to come back with a different mindset and a different game if he's going to make the Grizzlies better than they were without him.

CB: First of all, let's stop acting as if Philadelphia made some great improvement. The Sixers were 41-41, same as they were two years ago, before Iguodala made his "transformation." That year, he averaged 19 points on 47 percent shooting, numbers far more befitting of an $80 million man than the 14 points and 44 percent shooting he put up this season. I know Andre Miller was there two years ago, but Elton Brand was hurt. The presence of a rejuvenated Brand plus the improvement of Jrue Holiday more than make up for the loss of Miller. My point is that you act as if Iguodala's "transformation" led to some vast improvement when they're actually the same mediocre squad they were with a "different" Iguodala. Just shows how bad they were under Eddie Jordan. But I digress …

Rudy Gay is 24 years old and a veteran of five seasons. Who are you to write his epitaph? To relegate him to the status of a stuck-in-his-ways old fogey? People thought Paul Pierce couldn't change either, that he wouldn't want to share the ball with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen. How'd that prediction work? Fact is, Rudy has no choice. The entire world has seen what ball movement and teamwork has done for the Grizzlies. Why wouldn't he conform and fit in? He's got the skill set to do so and still get his points.

And you know what? If it doesn't work, if Gay can't adjust or the chemistry just isn't there, then they can trade him. But to do so before the season, before even giving it a try, would be shortsighted and a mistake.

RB: What a crazy argument: Iguodala shouldn't adjust his game to make the team better because A) he's making $80 million and should keep his individual stats high to justify that money, and B) because they were only a .500 team, the sacrifices he made weren't all that important. If Rudy Gay has the same attitude, the Grizzlies are sunk.

And how are you going to make a comparison to a Sixers team two years ago when there are seven different faces on the roster? No one -- I mean, no one -- was worried about Pierce sharing the ball with KG and Allen. He'd already done so with Antoine Walker, Ricky Davis, Wally Szczerbiak and a host of other guys not nearly as talented.

That's what concerns me about Rudy: he's had talent around him and still been stuck on taking bad shots even when it has been counterproductive. I would wholeheartedly support giving Rudy a chance to prove he's seen the light if we weren't looking at a league about to severely crimp player movement with a new collective bargaining agreement, and if teams weren't eager to make a deal now before that happens. If the Grizzlies sign back Marc Gasol and Shane Battier, they will have one of the fattest payrolls in one of the smallest markets. Do they move Gay, maintain their cap flexibility and collect some future talent -- Derrick Williams, for example, with the No. 2 pick -- or do they hang their hat on Gay being a changed man and thereby making the team a championship contender? From what history has taught us, I'd say they're better served keeping their options open.

CB: The Sixers' core is virtually the same as it was a couple of years ago (minus Andre Miller), but that's beside the point. I personally spoke with a handful of coaches who had questions about Pierce's willingness to share the ball, but that's not the point, either. The point is that the Grizzlies have got a guy with the skill set to help them out big time. There's no need for Memphis to rush into a trade without giving Gay a shot.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I thought Minny wanted Kanter since they can't grab Irving and would have no playing time for Williams, it just makes no sense... UNLESS they're trying to draft *gasp* another PG.

Comment

• I would be happy with Knight or Kanter... If both of them are gone I would take Valanciunas.
                Last edited by Donnie Brasco; Sun May 29, 2011, 02:43 AM.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  The Pistons couldn't find a taker for Rip at the deadline and now there is word they might balk at the thought of cap dumping him? Interesting... To me he looked washed up last season so who is going to line up for that?
                  This deal was *this close* to going down at the deadline but Hamilton balked at the buyout. Personally, if they could get at least one decent player/prospect out of it, it would make a lot of sense for Detroit. Hamilton still thinks he is the player he was (in my opinion). Unfortunately that player only shows up every 4 or 5 games and it seemed like he was the leader of the rebellion in the locker room last year.

Comment

• Before the lottery I remember reading a T-Wolves blogger who claimed that a source within the front office told him that the team was very high on Biyomba. 2 would certainly be too high to take him...5 could be a stretch as well...but 8 sounds good, right?

If this trade goes through they would truly be the wildcard of the draft with the amount of strange options that would be available between 4 and 8.

I would bet they add two of the following: Biyomba, Valanciunas, Leonard, and Burks.

It would also not surprise me if this trade could better set up a move between the Raptors and Minnesota. We all know about the rumors that they could be interested in Calderon, and there have been those who suggested that we could use him to move up to the #2. But that was a huge stretch...but could Calderon be used to add the 8?
                    Last edited by Shantz; Sun May 29, 2011, 07:43 AM.
                    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-be-grizzlies/

Q: Despite the strongest possible assurances from Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley that Rudy Gay is staying put, are we in for a summer of media speculation about possible trades? Just the other day we were reading one out of Toronto that proclaimed "Gay has suddenly become redundant, an asset the Grizzlies must use to make themselves more championship-worthy."

A: Zach Randolph is the most productive Grizzly ever. Rudy Gay is the most gifted and won't be traded. Any conversation about trading Gay without a bonafide star coming to Memphis is absurd, misinformed and ignorant. Take a step back and understand that Gay is better than Tony Allen and Sam Young -- combined -- and they started for the Griz at the end. Not only is Heisley believable when he says he isn't trading Gay, but the coaches are already salivating over the return of a 20-point scorer, much-improved defender and play-maker.

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                        Before the lottery I remember reading a T-Wolves blogger who claimed that a source within the front office told him that the team was very high on Biyomba. 2 would certainly be too high to take him...5 could be a stretch as well...but 8 sounds good, right?

If this trade goes through they would truly be the wildcard of the draft with the amount of strange options that would be available between 4 and 8.

I would bet they add two of the following: Biyomba, Valanciunas, Leonard, and Burks.

It would also not surprise me if this trade could better set up a move between the Raptors and Minnesota. We all know about the rumors that they could be interested in Calderon, and there have been those who suggested that we could use him to move up to the #2. But that was a huge stretch...but could Calderon be used to add the 8?
                        Here is a trade:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3wa5e8e

Detroit adds a position of need with a player who has much upside and 2 years in the league (Flynn).

Minnesota adds Biyombo with the 8th pick and gets Calderon.

Cleveland gets Irving and Williams.

Toronto loses Calderon's salary, gets Kanter/Walker at #4/5, and rents Webster for a year while Kleiza recuperates.

LOL - actually, I don't think this is realistic: essentially Calderon nets Walker and Webster. Nevermind. The reason I go with Walker at 4 is because I don't think he'll get past Sacramento at 7.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Here is a trade:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3wa5e8e

Detroit adds a position of need with a player who has much upside and 2 years in the league (Flynn).

Minnesota adds Biyombo with the 8th pick and gets Calderon.

Cleveland gets Irving and Williams.

Toronto loses Calderon's salary, gets Kanter/Walker at #4/5, and rents Webster for a year while Kleiza recuperates.

LOL - actually, I don't think this is realistic: essentially Calderon nets Walker and Webster. Nevermind. The reason I go with Walker at 4 is because I don't think he'll get past Sacramento at 7.
                          I like the thought, but would agree that it is unrealistic. I wasn't necessarily implying that Toronto get involved and make this a four team deal. I'm hoping that Toronto can make a secondary deal with Minnesota if this original 3-team deal goes through. Could Calderon be the center of a package that would bring the #8 pick to Toronto as well? Just a thought...

As for the deal, Cleveland must really be enamored with Williams as a player to take on Rip. Rip has steadfastly refused to take a buyout in the past and I would bet that is still the case. In other words, the Cavs are taking on over $21million over the next 2 years (less money if lockout happens) in order to grab Williams. But I guess they do have Joey Graham currently manning the SF so that would add incentive. But if Williams can't keep up with SF and has to move to PF, does that mean they move JJ Hickson?
                          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                            I like the thought, but would agree that it is unrealistic. I wasn't necessarily implying that Toronto get involved and make this a four team deal. I'm hoping that Toronto can make a secondary deal with Minnesota if this original 3-team deal goes through. Could Calderon be the center of a package that would bring the #8 pick to Toronto as well? Just a thought...

As for the deal, Cleveland must really be enamored with Williams as a player to take on Rip. Rip has steadfastly refused to take a buyout in the past and I would bet that is still the case. In other words, the Cavs are taking on over $21million over the next 2 years (less money if lockout happens) in order to grab Williams. But I guess they do have Joey Graham currently manning the SF so that would add incentive. But if Williams can't keep up with SF and has to move to PF, does that mean they move JJ Hickson?
                            I think the issue with Rip and the buyout from CLE was they didn't want to pay him his full salary. I'm not sure but I recall that.

Comment

• So, where do the Raps fit in this thread??? Who cares about those teams? I wanna know what's good with the Raps. No offense.
                              The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                              Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                              www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                              http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

• GameBreaker wrote: View Post
                                So, where do the Raps fit in this thread??? Who cares about those teams? I wanna know what's good with the Raps. No offense.
                                This affects the Raps in that if the trade goes through, and they end up selecting at 5, there might be different options available at 5, I think that's the main issue here. I'm really hoping the Raps offer something better to Minny for that # 2 pick - would love to have Irving/Williams on the roster
                                Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

Working...
                                X