Three Team Blockbuster Trade Rumor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SCass wrote: View Post
    Other than still including Bargnani on the team, you don't really have evidence to say that this team would be soooo bad on defense. Knight and DeRozan both have the potential to be very good defenders, Williams is long and big for his position (ala James Johnson), and Chandler is obviously quite good on defense. Plus, by replacing Calderon with a solid defender, Bargnani wouldn't be so exposed on the pick and roll, especially with Chandler behind him. Bargnani is actually a decent man-defender, and so by guarding the ball instead of being put in the 'help' defense role, I think you would see a totally different Bargnani.
    Bargnani is a really bad defender. Derrick Williams probably will not be a good defender, and it doesn't matter whether he has size, or not, if he can't stay with his man, which he will struggle doing. Plus, he;ll be a rookie. DeRozan is a below average defender right now. He's got the chance to be a good one, but we'll be lucky if he's even decent next year. And the chances are the Raptors won't be able to get a decent center as a free agent. Chandler is NOT leaving Dallas to go to a 22 win team. And no other decent center is going to do it, either. That's not a good defensive team. Sorry.

And no, Bargnani is not a decent man-to-man defender. His man-to-man defense is vastly overrated due to a few good games he played. Now, his fans think that he plays like that all the time when that's simply not true. Look at his opponent PER: 21.3. It's incredibly bad. He's constantly allows his man to produce above average.

And those who think we'll see a "totally different Bargnani" are living in a dream world. These are the same people that said Bargnani just needed minutes to reach his potential, and then he just needed to start, and then he needed more shots, and then he needed to play PF. It's been five years. It's not going to happen.

Oh, and whether or not he plays center or PF, he still has to help on defense. Bargnani was never "put" into a help defense role. That's what happens when you play on a basketball team. Ed Davis and Amir Johnson are both above average help defenders, and were given the most defensive responsibility, but it didn't help Bargnani at all. Bargnani even played on the wing in the zone, and it didn't help him.

NOTHING WILL HELP HIM! He's a very poor defender, no matter whether he plays beside Dikembe Mutombo in his prime or Rafael Araujo.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

after the jose trade screw up and the matt barnes screw up, im a bit relunctant to believe anything until everything is finalized...

BUT if it was to happen, that would be an awesome trade!

Comment

why would the grizz take bargs, LOL, dumbest rumor ever

Comment

george is the best value in the deal - would gladly trade#5 for him.

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
            why would the grizz take bargs, LOL, dumbest rumor ever
            I'm not sure where they'd play him either, hardly coming off the bench for 10 mil? Unless they think Gasol might be gone and put him at the C while they try to develop Thabeet? I don't see it making too much sense for them...

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I agree the trade won't happen but Kobe makes $25M, $28M, and $30.5M over the next three years in his twilight years; Gay makes $15, $16.5, $18, $19.5 over the next four in his prime.

Don't forget, I don't think this will happen either. HOWEVER,

Would you rather pay Barganani, Calderon, Barbosa (who led a 22 win team this year):

$26M in 2011-2012
              $20.5M in 2012-2013

Posey, Jones, Gay:

$24.5 in 2011-2012
              $19.5 in 2012-2013

Just something to think about.

I'd rather pay Gay and put the extra money in to a proper C.
              Excellent post.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Brain Colangelo wrote: View Post
                george is the best value in the deal - would gladly trade#5 for him.
                I'm not a fan of giving up the draft pick, but for George I would. He's going to be better than anyone the Raptors would draft there.
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

the only downside Toronto will have in this trade is Gay's lack of jersey sales

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                    I'm not sure where they'd play him either, hardly coming off the bench for 10 mil? Unless they think Gasol might be gone and put him at the C while they try to develop Thabeet? I don't see it making too much sense for them...
                    I see why they would do it. He'd be insurance in case Gasol left, but if he came back, Bargnani, Gasol and Randolph would make a potentially dangerous front line rotation. Wallace gambled and won when he traded for Zach Randolph, so he might think he could do the same with Bargnani. Remember when Randolph went to Memphis everyone, including me, thought it was an incredibly stupid move that would end up backfiring. Now Randolph is an All Star and Memphis just went to the second round.

Would I personally do it? No, but I wouldn't have traded for Randolph i the first place, or traded Kevin Love for OJ Mayo, or drafted Thabeet, or done a lot of things they've done. Hell, I'd never have drafted Bargnani in the first place, so obviously not everyone thinks alike.
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Cheese416 wrote: View Post
                      the only downside Toronto will have in this trade is Gay's lack of jersey sales
                      Are you kidding? There's a huge demographic they could be targeting to sell lots of jerseys. Besides, proceeds from jersey sales, I believe, are shared by all the teams.
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        Are you kidding? There's a huge demographic they could be targeting to sell lots of jerseys. Besides, proceeds from jersey sales, I believe, are shared by all the teams.

In the US, its 75 Miles from the home arena, all sales and TV rights belong to the team.
                        The Raptors have a special provision to extend their 75 miles into all of Canada.

Anything beyond the defined boundaries is supposed to be shared by all teams equally.

Here is an example of this rule (taken from NBA.com Utah Jazz page http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/ask_gre..._answers4.html)

Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu May 26, 2011, 02:00 AM.

Comment

• how can anyone be for this trade?

Comment

• MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                            In the US, its 75 Miles from the home arena, all sales and TV rights belong to the team.
                            The Raptors have a special provision to extend their 75 miles into all of Canada.

Anything beyond the defined boundaries is supposed to be shared by all teams equally.

Here is an example of this rule (taken from NBA.com Utah Jazz page http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/ask_gre..._answers4.html)

I stand corrected.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                              how can anyone be for this trade?
                              How can you not be?
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                I stand corrected.
                                Tim, I hope I did not come across as a smart ass, I did not mean to correct you, I just wanted to add the little tid bit of info that I knew

Comment

Working...
                                X