Three Team Blockbuster Trade Rumor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    Good questions. Not sure. Why can't he be traded? Does it have something to do with his player option?
    The ESPN Trade Machine says that any player with an expired or potentially expiring contract cannot be traded until July 1st. Logic says that if Barbosa exercised his option, he could be traded immediately. However, I'm not sure how the NBA's trade rules work... he still might not be able to be traded until after July 1st, or maybe there's a window when he can't be traded after he exercises his option... I just don't know how it works IF he exercises his option prior to that July 1st date. When does the CBA expire? I thought it was essentailly right after the draft...

As for the rest, I get your points, but I just feel the Raps should be able to get more in return for the long-term, than just a very overpaid Rudy Gay, in exchange for Bargnani, Calderon and Barbosa. Plus they have to take on Jones (alright contract for 2 season; good defensively but not in the long-term plans) and Posey ($7M expiring contract). To me, Rudy Gay and his hefty contract doesn't seem like enough return for the players we have to give up AND the contracts we have to take back. I understand your point about the total price of Gay's contract, but regardless whether all contracts get clawed back or not, it's still the relative % of the team's payroll that he eats up, that makes him overpaid in my eyes.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed May 25, 2011, 03:50 PM.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
      I would have to think that the Grizz also get Toronto's pick. For them to give up Mayo, Gay and Henry and only get back Bargnani, Barbosa and George is crazy. I mean, I know the Grizz have a lot of financial committments upcoming with Gasol, but the price is too much. Are they thinking of moving Bargnani to the 3? I guess that's what it seems.
      I am playing catch up here - leave the computer for 2 hours and all hell breaks loose.

I don't agree. I think this is a case of undervaluing your own teams players which is understandable and natural, in my opinion. Memphis are giving up a lot but they are going to have one of the most dynamic front courts in basketball with Z-Bo, Gasol, Arthur and Bargnani. George is a hell of a talent and looks to be a better prospect than Henry and Barbosa gives them instant offense off the bench which they did not have as OJ was inconsistent and eventually placed back in starting lineup towards the end of playoffs. Plus they do get financial relief going forward. MEM was going to give up Mayo for a mid first round and a borderline rotational PF McRoberts.

I think this is a great trade for everyone.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        its kind of worrisome how this hasn't been mentioned on twitter by anyone or even espn. sadly, i think it's all fools gold.
        Shut your mouth and go away! I don't need you your facts and truth to get in the way of my dreams, okay?
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          Really, who cares. He's making not a lot of money and he's a great defensive player. And he'd only play 15 mpg, at most, anyway.

And no, he's not a good three point shooter, hence why he doesn't take very many.
          Well I think we are missing players who can hit a 3 point shot, and with potentially calderone and bargnani gone, all the other team needs to do is crowd in the paint and wait for us to miss our shots.

Well it depends which season you look at: he was shooting 1.15 3s a game hitting 38% of them in only 12 MPG in 04-05, I would consider him a decent three point threat. And would be even more effective on top of his defence. Even last season he was close to one a game and hit 36%
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

And I promise you the first time Bargnani doesn't go in for a rebound, or to help his man, Z-Bo is going to smack right upside the head.

Comment

actually twitter seems to be down maybe the trade broke it
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                Well I think we are missing players who can hit a 3 point shot, and with potentially calderone and bargnani gone, all the other team needs to do is crowd in the paint and wait for us to miss our shots.

Well it depends which season you look at: he was shooting 1.15 3s a game hitting 38% of them in only 12 MPG in 04-05, I would consider him a decent three point threat. And would be even more effective on top of his defence. Even last season he was close to one a game and hit 36%
                Gay is a decent 3 point shooter. And so is Bayless. That's really the least of my worries, at this point, anyway. When the Raptors start making the playoffs, then they can look into boosting their 3 point shooting.

Jones can make a three pointer once in a while if there's no one around him. But I wouldn't be depending on him for three point shooting.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I hate to be the wet sandwich, but did anyone see this on espn's Rumor Central?

UPDATE No. 3: According to Frank Zicarelli of the Toronto Sun, the Raptors would have interest in Gay, if he becomes available.

Zicarelli writes: "In the past few days, Gay's name has been liked with the Cavs, a team that won the lottery, a team unlike the Raptors that's in need of a facelift. ... Perhaps the price may end up involving Andrea Bargnani, Toronto's own trade exception obtained in the Chris Bosh sign-and-trade with the Heat, the No. 5 draft pick or any combination of assets for Gay. What must be made clear is that if Gay is indeed available, then expect the Raptors to be involved."

Memphis owner Michael Heisley has said that he is not trading Gay.

-- Nick Borges

----

UPDATE No. 2: Bob Finnan of the News-Herald cites a league source that says the below report on Gay and the Cavs isn't true.

Either way, for now, Gay doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

---

UPDATE: According to Jonathan Givony of Draft Express, the Cavs offered their No. 4 pick (along with help from their trade exception gained in the LeBron James sign-and-trade to Miami) to Memphis for Gay.

But Memphis rejected the offer, according to Givony.

So while there may be no movement here, lining up with Heisley's stance below, it doesn't appear to be stopping teams from making offers on Gay.

-- Ryan Corazza

---

There has been some speculation that Memphis could trade Rudy Gay and on Monday owner Mike Heisley wanted to quash all that talk.

"Would you please make it clear that we're not trading Rudy Gay?," Heisley asked The Commercial-Appeal.

Heisley is aware that some teams think he will trade Gay.

"I know," said Heisley. "And, quite frankly, it (ticks) me off. I think it's cruel to the guy. He died during this period. That's how much he wanted to play. And to now have to hear that we're trading him? There's nothing more untrue than that."

The Grizzlies payroll will increase substantially next season and many around the league are not sure that Heisley can afford to pay the salaries.

"My intention is to bring the team back next year," Heisley said.

Comment

In response to the above question...

*Cough*

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...?6192-Rudy-Gay
                    Yesterday 08:01 PM

Comment

10th pick?

Indiana has 15th!

Comment

I see Gay being far less valuable than Derrick Williams (the #2 overall pick), based both on potential and Gay having a massive contract.

Minnesota wants to deal the pick, they like Calderon, and probably would be interested in a guy like Amir Johnson.

I know everyone wants to just dump Bargnani, but in terms of assets and value, I think the Raps would be much better served to get the younger, and cheaper Derrick Williams.

Comment

SCass wrote: View Post
                          I see Gay being far less valuable than Derrick Williams (the #2 overall pick), based both on potential and Gay having a massive contract.

Minnesota wants to deal the pick, they like Calderon, and probably would be interested in a guy like Amir Johnson.

I know everyone wants to just dump Bargnani, but in terms of assets and value, I think the Raps would be much better served to get the younger, and cheaper Derrick Williams.
                          Or just stay with the youth movement and salary shedding. Draft Kanter or a PG this year, stay in the lottery one more season, then draft a SF in next year's sick looking draft (ie: Barnes).

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            If not this year, it has to be a draft pick going Memphis' way - either ours or Indiana's. They're giving up quite a lot.
                            george has like A potential, henry doesn't,

but, gay i think could be worth barbosa and bargnani alone.

which leaves mayo who I think they are a bit fed up on and might just be looking to dump him for cap space.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Anyone remember when Bargnani played the 4 and Jermaine O'Neal played the 5 while Chris Bosh was out? Bargnani was a completely different player. I say we get a real center, a decent supporting cast, and then evaluate how Bargnani fares.

Knight
                              DeRozan
                              Derrick Williams (trade with MIN)
                              Bargnani & Davis
                              FA Center (eg. Chandler)

I like that team a hell of a lot more than being burdened by Rudy Gay's contract for the next half-decade.

Comment

thegreynathan wrote: View Post
                                I hate to be the wet sandwich, but did anyone see this on espn's Rumor Central?

UPDATE No. 3: According to Frank Zicarelli of the Toronto Sun, the Raptors would have interest in Gay, if he becomes available.

Zicarelli writes: "In the past few days, Gay's name has been liked with the Cavs, a team that won the lottery, a team unlike the Raptors that's in need of a facelift. ... Perhaps the price may end up involving Andrea Bargnani, Toronto's own trade exception obtained in the Chris Bosh sign-and-trade with the Heat, the No. 5 draft pick or any combination of assets for Gay. What must be made clear is that if Gay is indeed available, then expect the Raptors to be involved."

Memphis owner Michael Heisley has said that he is not trading Gay.

-- Nick Borges

----

UPDATE No. 2: Bob Finnan of the News-Herald cites a league source that says the below report on Gay and the Cavs isn't true.

Either way, for now, Gay doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

---

UPDATE: According to Jonathan Givony of Draft Express, the Cavs offered their No. 4 pick (along with help from their trade exception gained in the LeBron James sign-and-trade to Miami) to Memphis for Gay.

But Memphis rejected the offer, according to Givony.

So while there may be no movement here, lining up with Heisley's stance below, it doesn't appear to be stopping teams from making offers on Gay.

-- Ryan Corazza

---

There has been some speculation that Memphis could trade Rudy Gay and on Monday owner Mike Heisley wanted to quash all that talk.

"Would you please make it clear that we're not trading Rudy Gay?," Heisley asked The Commercial-Appeal.

Heisley is aware that some teams think he will trade Gay.

"I know," said Heisley. "And, quite frankly, it (ticks) me off. I think it's cruel to the guy. He died during this period. That's how much he wanted to play. And to now have to hear that we're trading him? There's nothing more untrue than that."
                                The Grizzlies payroll will increase substantially next season and many around the league are not sure that Heisley can afford to pay the salaries.

"My intention is to bring the team back next year," Heisley said.
                                of course, you're not going to trade him... if he's dead... that is illegal.
                                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                                X