X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo On Tim & Sid

Here's a recap of his interview today:

In regards to Bargnani's recent statement:
    • What Dave wrote was inaccurate. What Andrea said was not meant to be harmful to the organization, All he said was he needs to get better and if he gets traded he would like it be to a hot climate location.
    • Bargnani was upset about the translation and he did not mean to hurt anyone.
    • He did not request a trade.
    • The translation was inaccurate. Maurizio confirmed that.
    • Bargnani actually appreciated the criticisms by Bryan. He has no issues with Bryan and realizes the criticism is meant to generate a positive outcome.

Apollo: I personally think this makes a lot of sense. Regardless of this, most of the fans seemed to have wanted the guy gone before a misquote took place. I don't think his statments changed anything to begin with.

CBA/FA:
    • He thinks that whether they have $7M in cap space or $17M in cap space, the Raptors will be one of the best situated teams. They're well prepared for this and their preparation will place them in a nice place to be come free agency.
    • This will be his fourth time around dealing with CBA changes.

Apollo: Nothing new here but nice to hear again I guess.

Draft
    • He's comfortable where they are. Less of a cap hit, so more flexibility.
    • Similar talent at five as three.
    • One of Irving, Walker and Knight will certainly be there at #5. Irving might be the 1st overall selection.
    • In terms of bigs, Kanter, Val and Biyombo all look like options.
    • At the forward spots Vesely and Derrick Williams are options.
    • Leonard and Bioyombo are their sleepers.
    • Leonard is a Ron Artest intensity type player. He addresses a lot of what they need.
    • He's really impressed with Tristan Thompson. Great interview. Did well in workouts. Probably a little of a duplication to Ed but they will take the best guy available.
    • He's impressed with Kemba Walker. It's a guard driven league right now. He's not a big strong guard who can defend with strength but he can defend with quickness; sort of like how Brooks did Houston when he was playing well. He can score at will, scores when he needs to. A little streaky but can will his team to win. Time will tell if he's a PG or a combo but he will be a good NBA player. Kemba is a winner, they've seen a lot of him and he will be a high pick.
    • The guys they get the best read on are guys who they can watch at an early age on. The McDonald's game is huge for them when initially targeting guys and watching them grow. It's where he first saw Amare Stoudemire(drafted by B.C.).

Apollo: So to recap he likes Irving, Walker, Knight, Kanter, Valanciunas, Biyombo, Derrick Williams, Vesely, Leonard and Thompson. That seems to be the list right now.

Coaching Sitaution
    • Jay has done a great job.
    • He's done everything they've asked him to do: playing young guys and developing them. Ed, Amir and DeMar are prime examples.
    • Defense needs to be fixed.
    • Ball movement and efficiency are problems.
    • They need to meet, work through a lot of positives and negatives and decide in a couple weeks on where the team is heading with the head coach spot.

Apollo: My thoughts are that he likes what Jay did for the past situation but I get this feeling they're going to turn the page and they're entering into a new situation now.

Source: http://radio.thescore.com/

...So, nothing new.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Apollo: So to recap he likes Irving, Walker, Knight, Kanter, Valanciunas, Biyombo, Derrick Williams, Vesely, Leonard and Thompson. That seems to be the list right now.
      That's it? What if none of those guys are available at 5??????
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

He basically listed the top ten excluding Alec Burks. Seems strange he missed Burks. He probably just forgot to mention him. I'm pretty sure they're working him out.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          That's it? What if none of those guys are available at 5??????
          lol, BC really narrowed it down. I imagine they likely have someone in mind they really want but when you're picking #5 in a murky draft you don't really know who might be there, so, the obfuscation makes sense. In any case, seems like the conventional wisdom on the top ten is accurate.

On Triano, this sounds like pretty much what he has been saying for awhile. Still, it appears there are/will be some decent coaches on the market. I would have no issue if BC shopped around a little. After all, it ain't like Triano is leaving for greener pastures.

Comment

Burksy no
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Apollo: I personally think this makes a lot of sense. Regardless of this, most of the fans seemed to have wanted the guy gone before a misquote took place. I don't think his statments changed anything to begin with.
              I think it's presumptious to believe most fans want Bargnani gone. Making a decision based on blog input, strikes me as using a very small sample and extrapolating it. As I recall, whenever polls have been done, Andrea tends to get more love, although online polls are about as good as a refreshed browser.
              If anything has generated hate/dislike towards Andrea, it's the main stream media. TSN's report (on the Bargnani quotes), was extremely active with responses. The media knows he helps boost page visits, as do Blog sites. Question is, what will they do if he's gone.
              In retrospect, Toronto fans needs controversy, as it's all they have - besides non-play-off games.

Comment

RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
                If anything has generated hate/dislike towards Andrea, it's the main stream media. TSN's report (on the Bargnani quotes), was extremely active with responses. The media knows he helps boost page visits, as do Blog sites. Question is, what will they do if he's gone.
                It is always the media that completely riles things up. It really pisses me off, because this isn't the first time bad translation has led to some 'controversy'. In fact in between final games the media has nothing really to report, so hell why don't they stir the pot a little and dash in some badly translated bargnani quotes? Apart of me really feels like pressure from our media is a direct result to what the outcome on the court will be. Now it feels like the mainstream idea is to hate on bargnani, a feeling that wether or not most fans actually feel, will be acknowledged by BC and could in turn result in moving bargs in order to keep fans happy. I believe when people talk about fans running a player out of town, I really do believe it is truly the medias doing! Its not like a census went around to every single raptor fan about wether they liked the player or not! And more casual fans are always going to have persuaded opinions based on the headlines of todays paper.
                The only way Colangelo knows what fans think about his raptors, is through the newspaper, through the tv, etc.
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I think it's presumptious to believe most fans want Bargnani gone. Making a decision based on blog input, strikes me as using a very small sample and extrapolating it. As I recall, whenever polls have been done, Andrea tends to get more love, although online polls are about as good as a refreshed browser.
                  I'm not basing this on the main page. I'm basing this on the forum in here and I feel it gives you a good sense of the general feeling. I've read other big forums. I've been a member of other big forums before coming here. Fans feel the same for the most part there as well.

I don't agree. Maybe this could apply to casual fans but to loyal fans who frequent here and other boards, those who turn out for a lot of the games it does not apply. If you pick around here and other boards you will find that people are frustrated in his lack of effort on defense and the glass. His comments has little impact because they've already made up their minds on him. It's always been his unwillingness to get his hand dirty and it started from day one.

In retrospect, Toronto fans needs controversy, as it's all they have - besides non-play-off games.
                  No they don't. Controversy keeps creeping in because they can't build a solid team that can play hard and compete. The day they have a good team is the day the constant controversy dies.

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                  It is always the media that completely riles things up. It really pisses me off, because this isn't the first time bad translation has led to some 'controversy'. In fact in between final games the media has nothing really to report, so hell why don't they stir the pot a little and dash in some badly translated bargnani quotes? Apart of me really feels like pressure from our media is a direct result to what the outcome on the court will be. Now it feels like the mainstream idea is to hate on bargnani, a feeling that wether or not most fans actually feel, will be acknowledged by BC and could in turn result in moving bargs in order to keep fans happy. I believe when people talk about fans running a player out of town, I really do believe it is truly the medias doing! Its not like a census went around to every single raptor fan about wether they liked the player or not! And more casual fans are always going to have persuaded opinions based on the headlines of todays paper.
                  The only way Colangelo knows what fans think about his raptors, is through the newspaper, through the tv, etc.
                  The vulchers only circle when there's blood. The media isn't moving on anything the fans aren't seeing. The media has been riding Bargnani about his D and rebounding all winter and for the past six years in general. It was a bad translation and that sucks but this isn't the end of the world. Teams don't let the media dictate what they do. The media sent their war machines after TJ Ford and dragged the poor guy through the dirt in a very undeserving cowardice way and it did affect the fans but I seriously don't think it affected the team's decision there either. The team doesn't give a crap about what the fans think if it's counter to what they feel is needed to make the team better. Fans forgive and forget with time, especially if the guy didn't say it and it's well publicized that he didn't say it. We're not stupid, we can switch gears, right? TJ was tossed under bus by the media for some stupid little quote that meant nothing and it was something that Jose regurgitated in a similar fashion during free agency but was then applauded. It had no affect on the team. They traded him because the chemistry between TJ and Chris & Jose was dieing. They had to chose Jose or TJ. Jose was the obvious choice. He was healthy and an ass kissing model citizen in Raptorsland. Now we have Bargnani being thrown under the bus. The media again here was trying to generate a mini-controversy, this time based on a bone head mistake, all to make a little more money but it's not fooling anyone who really matters. Unless you've been living under a rock you now know it was bogus. Time to move on. And guess what, Bargnani will probably get moved this off-season for the greater good of the team and the media again with have zero impact on the decision. Sorry if this sounds heated but the media irks me sometimes. I'm pretty sure Dave won't come out and publicly apologize to Bargnani or the readers...

Comment

Nice and clear summery, thanks.

Comment

Was just watching the score and they had a little bit on it, made bargs look REALLY negative. Don't get me wrong, i want him traded, but even i just kind of shook my head at it.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

He basically listed the top ten excluding Alec Burks. Seems strange he missed Burks. He probably just forgot to mention him. I'm pretty sure they're working him out.
                        ya, i listened to the interview and he was just kind of throwing names out there rapid fire.

i also find it weird that as i am typing this i'm listening to tim and sid.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Kind of neat to hear hey are looking a Tristan Thompson. Even though we already have a log jam at power forward, if we drafted Tristan he would probably instantly become one of the most popular players in Raptors history. Home town (Brampton is close to Toronto right?) boy who plays hard, he is basically a jersey selling machine. If Ed puts on the weight he said he would it may even be possible for us to play a small line up with Tristan and Ed against teams that don't have a big low post threat. I hadn't really liked the idea before now, but when I think about it are any of the guys we normally talk about (Walker, Knight, Val) better than him? Kanter, Irving, and Williams probably are but not the rest.

Some fans don't like Bargs some do, the quotes just increased the intensity of the attack. I think that the Star should print a retraction for mistranslating what he said but that seems unlikely. I'm personally of the opinion he'll be here next season because I don't think anyone will offer anything for him worth taking.
                          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                            I hadn't really liked the idea before now, but when I think about it are any of the guys we normally talk about (Walker, Knight, Val) better than him? Kanter, Irving, and Williams probably are but not the rest.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                              (Brampton is close to Toronto right?)
                              suburb of..... although we don't like to admit it.

Comment

Working...
                              X