Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raptors Big Board

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    I didn't see Kyrie on anyones list. Did he already get drafted #1 or what?
    I assumed him and Williams are long gone by #5.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm keeping Kyrie and Williams off my list (and Kanter should be on that list probably, but i'll leave him in):

1. Brandon Knight - highest ceiling, potential all-star, his outside shooting makes for a great pairing with DeMar.

2. Enes Kanter - the only thing keeping this beast from #1 is the likelihood they'll keep Bargs. IMO not a good fit together, considering Kanter also likes to extend his range to be fully utilized.

3. Kemba Walker - leadership, quickness, offensive prowess, and DeMar is a fan (as stated in a recent interview).

4. Jonas - His length and motor could make for a good piece for the future ... 'for the future', not tomorrow.

5. Bismack Biyombo - Potential? Yes indeed. Our team is not necessarily in the hunt for offense, which makes up for his current shortcomings and allow him to focus on rebounding and blocking shots.

6. Kawhi Leonard - G-Force II. Would jump up a few spots if we didn't have James Johnson onboard. Monster length, and silent desire to kill ... I mean, win.

7. Jan Vesely - Length and defensive potential could be intriguing enough if his workouts show some shot fundamentals and skill.

... I'm not gonna go on, because I am pretty confident that the draft pick is among this list.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

My list is:
    Kanter
    KLeonard
    At the 5 or trade up. I am one who does not want to trade up to get EITHER Irving or Williams. I have doubts about Williams at the 3 and what we would give up to get either of them. Not trying to start a sh$tstorm conversation but just how I have been leaning lately. (I am also wary of Williams since he came out of nowhere to get to this level. Makes me think of contract year players who play great one year and then are crap afterwards).

In the spirit of Ceez's post the players I would like to trade or buy another later pick for:

PG Darius Morris
    SF Chris Singleton- openly admit I don't know about this kid and going on quotes and descriptions above. These descriptions are what I would like to see.
    SG Marshon Brooks
    SF Tobias Harris: potential for WChandler/TPrince?
    C Jeremy Tyler: I see low risk level pick for pOtential high reward for a high rated player who took bad advice and left high school to play elsewhere.
    C Biyombo. Depends on where the pick would have to be but he is definitely intriguing.

Post Thanks / Like

My top-10:

1) Irving
    2) Williams
    3) Kanter
    4) Knight
    5) Leonard
    6) Walker
    7) Valanciunas
    8) Singleton
    9) Vesely
    10) Burks

I don't want a PF drafted (ie: Biyombo/Thompson) because it is the strongest position the Raps currently have (Davis/Amir/Bargnani), plus I think Biyombo is overrated.

Raptors Republic Rookie dzoni71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    Vesely can't play defense, and therefore the Raptors should have no use for him (and it's the reason I didn't list him, nor Fredette, on my board).
    Vesely can't play defense? Guess we haven't been watching the same guy, anyone know of another Vesely that entered the draft? My God, he was part of a Partizan team last year that was in Euro Final 4 that got there solely on defense, rebounding and hustle. Yeah, that's exactly the kind of player Raps have no need for.
    Btw, we shouldn't be taking him with #5, but not for the above mentioned reasons, but for his raw offensive game.

Raptors Republic Rookie HuskyRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

D.Williams
    Brandon Knight
    Enes Kanter
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Kemba Walker
    Bismack Biyombo
    Kawhi Leonard

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    Because Vesely is a better scorer? Have people forgotten that playing defense is 50%
    I'm not sure alot of people even realized defense was part of the game.

Vesely has Euro "D" on his resume... which usually translates into no defense in the NBA.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I will put all guys on my board... who knows what could happen between now and then. The first 4 should be taken if available under the premise of "take best talent", no matter the position of need.

1. Kyrie Irving
    2. Derrick Williams
    3. Enes Kanter
    4. Brandon Knight

The rest totally depends on what possible trades Colangelo has lined up. Mine would be...
    5. Kawhi Leonard
    6. Kemba Walker
    7. Jonas Valanciunas
    8. Jan Vesely
    9. Bismack Biyombo
    10. Alec Burks

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Irving
    2. Williams
    3. Kanter
    4. Knight
    5. Valuncianas(i think)
    6. Kemba

trade for multiple picks
    7. Chris Singleton
    8. Jeremy Tyler (was rated higher than Irving and Kanter during HS Junior season)
    9. Darius Morris
    10.Tyler Honeycutt
    11. Tobias Harris
    12. Jereme Richmond
    Last edited by er1csh3n; Sat May 28th, 2011 at 11:29 AM.

Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote dzoni71 wrote: View Post
    Vesely can't play defense? Guess we haven't been watching the same guy, anyone know of another Vesely that entered the draft? My God, he was part of a Partizan team last year that was in Euro Final 4 that got there solely on defense, rebounding and hustle. Yeah, that's exactly the kind of player Raps have no need for.
    Btw, we shouldn't be taking him with #5, but not for the above mentioned reasons, but for his raw offensive game.
    What qualifies in Europe as good defence, does not always translate so well in the NBA. This is not a euro bashing message at all, just the reality of judging a players defence on that level and attempting to translate it to the NBA. For instance, Jose Calderon was considered one of the better defenders at his position in Europe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jeff_hostetler wrote:
    4. Singleton [for his Glue Potential (tm)] Call me crazy, but DD/CS/ED will be a championship calibre 2-3-4 set down the line. Why I rank him so high is that he brings that elite defense without sacrificing offense. We saw what just happened to OKC, CHI and MEM (they had their elite defender on the floor, but as a result couldn't score to catch-up/pull-away). His wing defense is more valuable than the offensive skills of nearly everyone in the draft.
    I see him being a Tony Allen/ Shane Battier type player.
    Would love to see the Raps get their hands on him.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So far for me: (scratch KI and DW)

1. Kanter
    2. Valuncianas
    3. Knight
    4. Walker

(I don't think I need to go on, one of these guys will be left for our pick)

I want a big man, I think our guards are adequate for one more year.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sun May 29th, 2011 at 03:12 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

im big on walker so my board would be:

1.Walker
    2.Knight
    3.Leonard
    4.Biyombo

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Irving
    Walker
    Kanter
    Knight
    Williams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
    What qualifies in Europe as good defence, does not always translate so well in the NBA. This is not a euro bashing message at all, just the reality of judging a players defence on that level and attempting to translate it to the NBA. For instance, Jose Calderon was considered one of the better defenders at his position in Europe.
    This is silly. When scouts talk about Vesely's D, they're obviously talking about his potential to be a good NBA defender. And I have no idea how Calderon was in Europe but he wasn't a poor defender until he lost a step or three over the years. Keep with the revisionist history though.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not a mock

1. Irving
    2. Williams
    3. Kanter
    4. Walker
    5. Knight
    6. Valanciunas
    7. Leonard
    8. Burks
    9. Thompson
    10. Vesely

Post Thanks / Like

Expanding mine to 12 to fit in Irving and Williams:

1. Irving
    2. Kanter
    3. Williams
    4. Knight
    5. Walker
    6. Burks
    7. Leonard
    8. Valanciunas
    9. Biyombo
    10. Thompson
    11. Vesely
    12. Singleton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    This is silly. When scouts talk about Vesely's D, they're obviously talking about his potential to be a good NBA defender.
    You are correct in saying this. I've read a lot recently about how opposing teams call iso on him because of his poor man to man defense. It should be an immediate red flag on a player any time the opposing team has decided to isolate a particular player because he can be easily exposed. When I read about Vesley I keep hearing out of this world physical tools without the means to adequately take advantage of them... Yet. To me that says 50/50 bang or bust. He sounds like a player who would fit best on a team looking to push the ball because he's not going to get you much on offense if he's not running the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    You are correct in saying this. I've read a lot recently about how opposing teams call iso on him because of his poor man to man defense. It should be an immediate red flag on a player any time the opposing team has decided to isolate a particular player because he can be easily exposed. When I read about Vesley I keep hearing out of this world physical tools without the means to adequately take advantage of them... Yet. To me that says 50/50 bang or bust. He sounds like a player who would fit best on a team looking to push the ball because he's not going to get you much on offense if he's not running the floor.
    He's definitely a high risk pick (if you want to build a defensively sound team), but he also has the upside to be the best player out of this draft. As you commented about his man D, it's not for lack of trying -- he definitely works hard on the defensive end -- but he might be just a tad too slow to guard SFs and definitely not strong enough to guard PFs. And if Bargnani is making people cry about 7-footers who don't rebound, I can't wait to see Vesely in action.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying only gets you half way. My worry is that, as you mentioned, he's not going to be fast enough on his feet to defend the 3. If he's getting ISO'd and exposed in Europe then he's going to get crushed in the NBA. Then on the flip side he can't handle the ball that well and he can't shoot that well. He's going to need others to get him opportunities. That's a really big problem considering they have few guys already who can handle well and they already have a bunch of forwards who can't shoot and need somebody to set them up to get points other than put backs, tips and other choppy stuff around the basket. If they draft him there will be "Trade Vesley" threads and new "fire Colangelo" threads before the end of November. Book it. He's on the other end of the spectrum in terms of "instant gratification". Dude looks like a project.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information