Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colangelo Looking To Hire An Established GM?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colangelo Looking To Hire An Established GM?

The Raptors are in the market for a new executive.

The only catch, and it’s a doozy, is that experience is required — serious experience. While Bryan Colangelo, the Toronto president and general manager, said the title and role of his new hire is yet to be determined, he acknowledged the ongoing reorganization of his front office could even involve bestowing his GM title on someone else.

“I’m thinking about bringing in a high-level basketball person to strengthen our management team,” Colangelo said. “If I brought someone in and a GM title was part of it, it would be a fairly high-calibre person, probably someone with GM credentials already to their name. It’s all in development right now ... I could bring in one, I could bring in several new people.”

Colangelo was speaking on Thursday after CBSSports.com reported that the Raptors were seeking a replacement for Maurizio Gherardini, the vice president of basketball operations whose contract expires June 30. Colangelo disputed the report, saying that while he has yet to address Gherardini’s future — “I’d like to have (Gherardini) back,” he said — the search for new blood isn’t a push to fill a soon-to-be-empty office.

The idea is to bolster an executive team that remains a man short since the August departure of assistant general manager Masai Ujiri, who left to become GM of the Denver Nuggets. Ujiri, who has since impressed with his deft unloading of Carmelo Anthony, was seen by club insiders as a skilled talent evaluator whose contributions are missed.
    Source: The Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is pretty fantastic idea actually. I really like this.
    Anything to bring more brain into the mix is a good thing.

With BC as President, and maintaining that title, I'd be more willing to look at a guy like Kevin Pritchard.
    Still not a fan of the guy, but you know his name is going to come up at least 23 times in this thread.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this provides an opportunity to take a chance on a guy in a well established program.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about Cho (who was let go in Portland) and whether he might be a good hire here and this popped up today. Dont know too much about Cho other than he came from the Spurs org. and did fine I thought in Portland especially the Wallace acquisition for pretty much expendables and low numbered picks with the team doing well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I was thinking about Cho (who was let go in Portland) and whether he might be a good hire here and this popped up today. Dont know too much about Cho other than he came from the Spurs org. and did fine I thought in Portland especially the Wallace acquisition for pretty much expendables and low numbered picks with the team doing well.
    Great point. He's on the rebound. (no basketball pun intended)
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Great point. He's on the rebound. (no basketball pun intended)
    It's funny, that Portland franchise. First, Cho wanted Roy suspended for complaining about his playing time. Then, the franchise axes him and now, they're trying to convince Roy to retire for cap space purposes. What a weird franchise. Personally, I like Cho. He's a Sabermetrics guy and was Presti's assistant in OKC. I think he clashed with the owner too much. The owner is weird anyway.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Rookie HuskyRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

what is the most probable to happen? getting a new coach or new gm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote HuskyRaptor wrote: View Post
    what is the most probable to happen? getting a new coach or new gm
    See this is interesting, because I guess it does start the whole "who's our next GM" talk again.

Well BC sounded more commited to hiring a new GM-type than he has ever been about replacing Triano. So my guess is new management. Which I'm fine with. I respect Triano enough to see why they would want to keep him.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If he brought in a GM what would happen in the case of a disagreement on a trade etc?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote j bean wrote: View Post
    If he brought in a GM what would happen in the case of a disagreement on a trade etc?
    I would imagine the same thing that happens everywhere else in the world, the subordinante gives in to his superior or the subordinante starts looking for a new job.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    See this is interesting, because I guess it does start the whole "who's our next GM" talk again.

Well BC sounded more commited to hiring a new GM-type than he has ever been about replacing Triano. So my guess is new management. Which I'm fine with. I respect Triano enough to see why they would want to keep him.
    Or, he gets in a new gm and have him choose the new coach or retain JT.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard nothing but good things about Cho. Apparently he just didn't mesh well with Allen, the owner. Not many do.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

lol watch its going to be Gheradini.

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I could see Jay being brought up to this position if they can convince the likes of Adelman to coach the team.

Raptors Republic Rookie Tortacular's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kevin Pritchard, please.
    You can find me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Co-sign for Cho. BC sometimes floats trial balloons in the media, and hopefully that's exactly what he's got in mind.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoa Whoa Whoa, so we’re giving him money, for 2 years maybe 3 to screw up a team and then say “It wasn’t me it was the OTHER GM"

Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote albertan_10 wrote: View Post
    I could see Jay being brought up to this position if they can convince the likes of Adelman to coach the team.
    Jay is an idiot. He is not management material. He is not even head coaching material. He thought Andrea would be better than Bosh. He went all sorority girl about shaking Bosh's hand after their first game opposing each other. You can't have a guy like that in your office... its not professional.

The point is that we need to add BRAIN, not more unqualified suits. Jay belongs in a gym running drills with a whistle in his mouth... I don't want to hear any personnel ideas from him, I have no respect for his evaluation of talent.

(BTW, for me that was one of the low points of the season. Jay refusing to shake Bosh's hand. I was embarrassed for our club. It also made me realize that Jay was not an alpha, an alpha would never avoid shaking your hand or flashing a smile. A stooge or a lackey would. To me this incident said a lot more about Jay as a leader than anything he has ever done.)
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat May 28th, 2011 at 07:40 AM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the suggestion of Cho. It is pathetic how Paul Allen treats his management team. First with the firing of Pritchard a couple hours after the draft. And then ditching Cho out of the blue this year...never having the chance to run a draft and making some solid moves in his 11 months.

There was always the slam against Pritchard that people said he burned bridges within the organization and that is what lead to his firing. I can't help but think that rumor about him as being somewhat inaccurate after seeing this situation with Cho. Now the only real slams against Pritchard (in my opinion) are the extension to Roy (injury history, but that is really hindsight) and the drafting of Oden (injury history as well...but also hindsight).

I would love to add Cho into the Raptors organization. Very smart guy, lots of experience, and has a very calm demeanor which would work well with the Toronto media.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote albertan_10 wrote: View Post
    I don't think there is a chance of it happening. Colangelo said he would like a GM who's established. Jay doesn't have any experience in a role like that at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information