• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dubious Raptor Moment #23

October-December 2000: Charles Oakley picks pre-game fights
    - By Charles Oakley

“Pimpin' ain't easy. Pimpin' ain't dead. The ho's are just scared”

Oak_1_1_1 Only on a pussy-ass team like the Raptors would whuppin’ two gobler-basters not worth their grissel qualify as a dubious muthafuckin’ moment. But I should have expected this shit. When I rolled up into Toronto in ‘98, the only pimp on the team was Jackie Christie, and the ho’s weren’t scared one goddamn bit. That shit needed to change.

So what did I do? Whup ass is what.

First there was Jeff McGinnis. But fo’ real, when word spread that this bitch was trying to move in on this fine Blaxican trick I was hittin’ at the time, I had no goddamn choice. You try to flab-stab another man’s chickenhead, you deserve to get your ass fanned out. That said, I didn’t plan on beatin’ in his ass during the pre-game, I planned on beatin’ his ass the first fuckin’ time I saw it.

Then there was Tyrone Hill. Now the only thing this cootchie-ripper could do worse than shoot free throws was shoot dice. I barely took off my fur coat at his stank-ass crib in Phillie and I was already up $54,000. But fitty-k plus no-pay equals you getting your fuckin’ wig split son, even if you do serve me some fine-ass ribs. When he showed up in Toronto without my money, his ass should have known better.
    Source: The Flagrancy

I thought this applied to where this thread is heading...

Comment

The financial services industry needs to hire Oakley as their spokesperson. The delinquents sure would think twice before reneging on loan repayment.

Comment

Sunny Weems...

Bye Bye Clarance.....
        "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
        My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
          Hey at least he paid the dude he owed the debt, look at Dominique Wilkins, he doesn't pay you back, he just knocks yo ass out.

Wow! Link please?
          We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

So basically Sonny doesn't play defense on any court?

Comment

dfp wrote: View Post
              Awesome.

Comment

+10000
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
                  Wow! Link please?
                  http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/31/domini...rashan-michel/
                  NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

The fact that MLSE lawyers got involved in this tells me that this was not the most kosher deal to begin with. From the sounds of it there was negotiating going on about what was considered fair interest. This matter was not just left alone.

Who gives these sorts of loans? I know a bank does not. I don't know any branch where you can tell them you are a collegiate athlete and your collateral is making it pro one day to pay it back.

8% interest is not crippling, not a great rate in these times, but its also not a knee cap rate. Only one side of the story has been heard so far, sometimes these athletes in their immaturity have no idea what deals they are signing. Maybe the terms were presented to Weems in a different light. Without the other side of the story I don't want to be too quick to pass judgment. Lots of gifts in this world come with strings attached... sometimes the gift bearers hide the string.
                    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Mon May 30, 2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I think that this type of story is all too common in the world of college / professional sports. Weems' behaviour here was foolish. However, he is not the first young person to default on a debt, and not the first to take no action to resolve the situation. A lot of these guys have leases on homes, cars, even stuff like jewelry. So much money coming in every month, and nearly as much being spent also. If Sonny had someone competent managing his finances this never would have gone so far.

Comment

Lmfaooooooo
                        The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                        Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                        www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                        http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Well played.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                            The fact that MLSE lawyers got involved in this tells me that this was not the most kosher deal to begin with. From the sounds of it there was negotiating going on about what was considered fair interest. This matter was not just left alone.
                            I think you're jumping to the wrong conclusion. A default judgement doesn't mean Wright could say Weems owed any amount he wanted. Do note that even with Weems not present at the adjudication, the court still decided in favor of Wright at an amount lower than was asked ($26,000 instead of $35,000). This amount was considered lawful, and a court order was issued to MLSE to garnish Weems' wages. It then sounds like Wright tried to get more from MLSE than what was covered in the court order, which is where MLSE balked. Considering how long the loan repayment took, the earlier $26,000 figure seems barely enough to cover full repayment of the $23,500 loan plus a one year plus of interest (court order was after Weems joined the Raptors, so Fall 2009 at the earliest), let alone legal fees, which was later awarded. Your "not kosher" argument would best apply at the very beginning of the ordeal, and not after the amount in question had already gone through two court hearings.

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                            Who gives these sorts of loans? I know a bank does not. I don't know any branch where you can tell them you are a collegiate athlete and your collateral is making it pro one day to pay it back.

8% interest is not crippling, not a great rate in these times, but its also not a knee cap rate. Only one side of the story has been heard so far, sometimes these athletes in their immaturity have no idea what deals they are signing. Maybe the terms were presented to Weems in a different light. Without the other side of the story I don't want to be too quick to pass judgment. Lots of gifts in this world come with strings attached... sometimes the gift bearers hide the string.
                            8% at the time the loan was granted was not a bad deal at all. My educational loans three years back was running at 8.5% interest. If Weems felt any part of the loan was unfair, he had chance after chance after chance to present his side. It hardly matters what sad story challenges Weems was facing if he doesn't care to defend himself. Heck, even though you're not Weems, you're putting up more of a fight than he did. =P As before, whatever foul carrot strings you want to speculate into the story, they don't attach to the court order. The $26,000 court judgement was pretty damn fair and he still forced MLSE to garnish his wages to obtain the amount.

Comment

2010-2011
                              Rap Of The Year
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Considering it was a judgment of 30K, it may not have been worth Weem's time to fly down from where he was, pay a lawyer and contest a judgment that he knows he has little chance to contest. (It would add to the overall bill)

His no show, to me means he does not dispute the charges. I still don't understand why people are so worked up over this, so he needs financial advise, many players do.
                                Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Tue May 31, 2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X