Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Forget Free Agent Centers, How About Bench Centers

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Forget Free Agent Centers, How About Bench Centers

Timofey Mozgov, Tiago Splitter, Robin Lopez, Semih Erden, Omer Asik.
    All these guys are on cheap contracts , highest is Mozgov at $3.6 mil.
    I think some teams would trade one of these guys for TPE, James Johnson, or another trade.

What you guys think BC should do, keep hoping to snag a Chandler or a Gasol, or should he just go with the cheap young center to grow with the team we have now. Personally , I think Asik and Mozgov can be obtained at the right price, seeing as the CBA is looming opon us.

Post Thanks / Like

See I'm the other way completely. My thoughts are why on earth would any team cap dump good young prospect centers for the TPE? I could see overpaid mediocre centers but not good young prospects.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    See I'm the other way completely. My thoughts are why on earth would any team cap dump good young prospect centers for the TPE? I could see overpaid mediocre centers but not good young prospects.
    A big +1.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats understandable, but it looks like theres gonna be Jeff Foster and Nazr Mohammed this summer , I'd rather make a big multi team trade to include Jose or Bargnani and somehow snag one of these young centers.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I cant see teams just giving young centers with lots of potential away.
    Also, why would we give away our young promising Sf for a young promising center?
    We would gain one thing we need while losing another? Might as well keep the chemistry the same.

But I do agree we could use a young promising center, the only question is, how do we get them? I dont think your ways will work.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Totally agree. Sometimes the posts answer themselves.

If the centers are decent and cheap, teams will NOT be trying to dump them. It's counter-intuitive that they'd dump an asset to free up very little payroll.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote bballnut27 wrote: View Post
    I agree, I cant see teams just giving young centers with lots of potential away.
    Also, why would we give away our young promising Sf for a young promising center?
    We would gain one thing we need while losing another? Might as well keep the chemistry the same.

But I do agree we could use a young promising center, the only question is, how do we get them? I dont think your ways will work.
    I would strongly consider dealing him for any of those guys. I think Mozgov and Lopez would be no-brainers. Wings are a dime a dozen compared to centers.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should make a trade for Semih Erden and Harangody.
    Last edited by e2thed; Mon May 30th, 2011 at 07:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Totally agree. Sometimes the posts answer themselves.

If the centers are decent and cheap, teams will NOT be trying to dump them. It's counter-intuitive that they'd dump an asset to free up very little payroll.
    Well for a team like Pheonix, that has Gortat and Frye quite capable of splitting 48 minutes between them at Center, I think it would be silly of them to not see what they could get for Lopez. Or if they plan on keeping Lopez, then the market for Frye, etc.

But if there is a need at a certain position, and you have excess at another, why not balance that out.
    Now I'm not saying they'd be willing to just give him away, but I most certainly believe they are at least looking to see what the market is.

Lopez is the lonly one listed that works in that scenario, though. The rest are probably keepers for their respective clubs, OR I just don't think they are very good. haha Mostly the latter.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Rookie G-locity's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All very interesting opinions but cant really say what could happen until the draft is done, i do have a feeling that BC is up to something, it might happen before or during draft night but he's up to something.

Post Thanks / Like

Chuck Hayes is an unrestricted free agent. I would not want him starting - although he has predominantly started the last 2 years for the Rockets - but as a back up, why not. He is undersized but he utilizes his strength and long arms to his advantage. Also, he was the starting C for a 43 win team last season and 42 the year before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote G-locity wrote: View Post
    All very interesting opinions but cant really say what could happen until the draft is done, i do have a feeling that BC is up to something, it might happen before or during draft night but he's up to something.
    Obviously you are giving your opinion there but I agree with it - with no proof or support to back it up. Everything is so quiet. *crickets*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Obviously you are giving your opinion there but I agree with it - with no proof or support to back it up. Everything is so quiet. *crickets*
    A lil too quiet for me, so many speculations we can all have but it all depends on how draft night goes.

Post Thanks / Like

A lil too quiet for me, so many speculations we can all have but it all depends on how draft night goes.
    I think it all depends on Rubio to be honest - and not just for the whole Calderon/Toronto angle.

If he doesn't sign with Minnesota before the draft, I'm not sure he ever suits up for the Wolves. In this case, it might open up a number of trade possibilities and/or alter Minnesota's intentions in drafting.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it all depends on Rubio to be honest - and not just for the whole Calderon/Toronto angle.

If he doesn't sign with Minnesota before the draft, I'm not sure he ever suits up for the Wolves. In this case, it might open up a number of trade possibilities and/or alter Minnesota's intentions in drafting.
    That is a good point, this is why its so hard to figure out what BC is gonna do cus a lot of things could happen from now till draft night.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a good point, this is why its so hard to figure out what BC is gonna do cus a lot of things could happen from now till draft night.
    I think you could subsitute BC for just about any GM in the league in your above sentence. The draft pick trade with CLE and DET makes a lot of sense if Rubio does not show or they trade his rights - actually it makes a lot of sense anyways but htat is besides the point.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you could subsitute BC for just about any GM in the league in your above sentence. The draft pick trade with CLE and DET makes a lot of sense if Rubio does not show or they trade his rights - actually it makes a lot of sense anyways but htat is besides the point.
    Im not disagree'n with ya its all possibilities but to answer the host of this tread, i say try for lopez.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah id take hayes in a sec
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I like old bench guys

Never can be certain that BC does not jump back and try to grab a Jermaine O Neal redux, but I hope he is going to stick with the plan, for at least a year. I could see him drafting a young big and signing some slow banger like a Foster or even a Magloire to give them that option for 15-20 minutes a game. They would be cheap and serve a purpose, though winning a ton in the near future is not one of them. They would be there to rebound, offer a little lane protection, 6 fouls, and let the PF play a little PF. I could definitely see BC dumping big salaries to get a young big salary back. Bargs, Caldy, and Barbosa being replaced by Gay would suit his mentality, though I wouldn't do it. But getting another young big and a solution to the wing problem would seem enticing to BC. Frankly, getting a talented player who can play on both sides of the court would be great. the Three mentioned do not give you a lot on the defensive side.

Raptors Republic Rookie Donnie Brasco's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It wouldnt surprise me if Phoenix gets impatient with Lopez's lack of development. At that point he could become available. Besides Hayes, the other guys mentioned are on reasonably cheap deals on teams that are near or above the cap. They would be unlikely to part with those guys unless someone equally cheap and effective (or with equal or greater potential) was coming back. I would like to see the Raps go after DeAndre Jordan, who I think is an RFA this summer (probably not going to happen). Alternatively I think the Raptors should sign a placeholder, a journeyman big man to hold down the position until we can draft or trade for a franchise centre.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information