Forget Free Agent Centers, How About Bench Centers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G-locity wrote: View Post
    That is a good point, this is why its so hard to figure out what BC is gonna do cus a lot of things could happen from now till draft night.
    I think you could subsitute BC for just about any GM in the league in your above sentence. The draft pick trade with CLE and DET makes a lot of sense if Rubio does not show or they trade his rights - actually it makes a lot of sense anyways but htat is besides the point.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I think you could subsitute BC for just about any GM in the league in your above sentence. The draft pick trade with CLE and DET makes a lot of sense if Rubio does not show or they trade his rights - actually it makes a lot of sense anyways but htat is besides the point.
      Im not disagree'n with ya its all possibilities but to answer the host of this tread, i say try for lopez.

Comment

Yeah id take hayes in a sec
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I like old bench guys

Never can be certain that BC does not jump back and try to grab a Jermaine O Neal redux, but I hope he is going to stick with the plan, for at least a year. I could see him drafting a young big and signing some slow banger like a Foster or even a Magloire to give them that option for 15-20 minutes a game. They would be cheap and serve a purpose, though winning a ton in the near future is not one of them. They would be there to rebound, offer a little lane protection, 6 fouls, and let the PF play a little PF. I could definitely see BC dumping big salaries to get a young big salary back. Bargs, Caldy, and Barbosa being replaced by Gay would suit his mentality, though I wouldn't do it. But getting another young big and a solution to the wing problem would seem enticing to BC. Frankly, getting a talented player who can play on both sides of the court would be great. the Three mentioned do not give you a lot on the defensive side.

Comment

It wouldnt surprise me if Phoenix gets impatient with Lopez's lack of development. At that point he could become available. Besides Hayes, the other guys mentioned are on reasonably cheap deals on teams that are near or above the cap. They would be unlikely to part with those guys unless someone equally cheap and effective (or with equal or greater potential) was coming back. I would like to see the Raps go after DeAndre Jordan, who I think is an RFA this summer (probably not going to happen). Alternatively I think the Raptors should sign a placeholder, a journeyman big man to hold down the position until we can draft or trade for a franchise centre.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Well for a team like Pheonix, that has Gortat and Frye quite capable of splitting 48 minutes between them at Center, I think it would be silly of them to not see what they could get for Lopez. Or if they plan on keeping Lopez, then the market for Frye, etc.

But if there is a need at a certain position, and you have excess at another, why not balance that out.
              Now I'm not saying they'd be willing to just give him away, but I most certainly believe they are at least looking to see what the market is.

Lopez is the lonly one listed that works in that scenario, though. The rest are probably keepers for their respective clubs, OR I just don't think they are very good. haha Mostly the latter.
              Yes, it makes sense that Phoenix would be open to offers for any of their centers (though if I was them, the one I'd be actively trying to move would be Frye), but as much as I like James Johnson, I wouldn't trade Robin Lopez for him straight-up, let alone give him away for free (mere cap relief, and not a whole lot of it) as the OP suggested.

As for "at least looking to see what the market is", I think quite honestly it's a given; all GMs in the league are constantly open to offers for any player, so I'm sure they already know what the market is. I may want to build my team around DeRozan and Davis, but that doesn't mean I'll hang up the moment anyone suggests a trade. :-p The whole concept of being untouchable/not on the trade block is only for public consumption. Teams don't want their players hearing about the team's lack of commitment to them.

Comment

Donnie Brasco wrote: View Post
                It wouldnt surprise me if Phoenix gets impatient with Lopez's lack of development. At that point he could become available. Besides Hayes, the other guys mentioned are on reasonably cheap deals on teams that are near or above the cap. They would be unlikely to part with those guys unless someone equally cheap and effective (or with equal or greater potential) was coming back. I would like to see the Raps go after DeAndre Jordan, who I think is an RFA this summer (probably not going to happen). Alternatively I think the Raptors should sign a placeholder, a journeyman big man to hold down the position until we can draft or trade for a franchise centre.
                Yup. All they really need to do is sign a center that can play responsible D, so that the youngsters on our team learn to play the right way.

Comment

Greg Oden is a risk, but because of that he cold also end up being the bargain of free agency ... Imagine a healthy Oden running with our young crew! Someone's gonna take a risk on him, and it might not be Portland.

Kemba/Knight, DeMar, JJ, Bargs, Oden ... young, skilled and well-balanced lineup for the future.
                  The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Provided Portland probably knows Oden best, it's going to be a pretty big risk for any other team. Sign him to a reasonable offer sheet (salary starting at 6-7 mil) and Portland will likely match, unless they think he's too damaged for even that. We won't likely have more than 7 mil to spend on any one player, so that's the extent of what we can offer. Any team seeking to pry him away (especially when you have to wait for his offer sheet to be matched/declined before being able to use that money on someone else) will have to balance the risk with overpaying to ensure Portland doesn't match.

Comment

Working...
                    X