View Poll Results: Where does Jose rank all-time on the list of top Raptors PG's?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st

18 54.55%
  • 2nd

8 24.24%
  • 3rd

3 9.09%
  • 4th

3 9.09%
  • 5th

1 3.03%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where Does Jose Calderon Rank In Raptors' History At The Point?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

As many have stated its tough to compare them because they each shine in different aspects.

Pure Talent/Excitment - Damon hands down

Total Stats/Impact - Jose hands down. Not only in raw numbers, but per (ie. per game/minute.. not PER) in the "important" PG stats (efficiency, assists, turnovers)

All around play/Effort - Alvin hands down

If I was building a team and I could take any of those guys in their prime it would be Jose, Alvin than Damon. I just think Jose has had the biggest positive impact on the team. But I will say Alvin is a close second. I just really wish Jose had a good team around him... ie good D, athletic wings, real big men etc... all at the same time. I am willing to wager if he had that, his assist numbers and A:T ratio would be off the charts.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    You forgot Mike James, Chauncey Billups, Chris Childs, Rod Strickland, Roko Ukic and Will Solomon. =)

EDIT: How could I forget Haywoode Workman?
    Derrick Martin
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

man i loved childs
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    Derrick Martin
    Damn, how could I forget the guy who extended our 3 point streak? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

If you guys are looking for something to lift your spirits, check this clip out:

Boogie Williams hits the Biggest shot in Raptors History at the 1:25 mark.

The clip itself is a bit long, but man.. it's a good watch. Especially with the state of affairs these days.

ADD DUMB foul by ADub though on Sprewell.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue May 31st, 2011 at 02:58 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    It's been a common misconception that Jose played well only as a back-up. I'm not saying it's your fault, just that I've heard it repeated so many times, and it's probably why you think it to be true. He was actually the starter for most of 2007-2008, and the only reason he didn't get even more starts was because Ford was playing so much worse off the bench than as a starter he had to be put back in.
    Yes, my bad. I should have said some of 07-08 as a backup. Although, I do protest that I never claimed Jose only played good as a backup.

I was going to note in my original post that Calderon's 07-08 year remains the best offensive year ever put together by a Raptor PG. He joined the exclusive 500/400/900 club and added a ridiculous 8.1 OWS. He was also clearly better than Ford, which was why he was on the floor more often than not in crunch time (from what I remember).

Post Thanks / Like

Talent wise, Quicy Douby has got to be the best PG in Raptors history.

Seriously though, Jose would be my pick because he plays with heart, he's a smart player and always plays for the team and not for himself. He's a professional and has been very consistent his entire career.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Yes, my bad. I should have said some of 07-08 as a backup. Although, I do protest that I never claimed Jose only played good as a backup.

I was going to note in my original post that Calderon's 07-08 year remains the best offensive year ever put together by a Raptor PG. He joined the exclusive 500/400/900 club and added a ridiculous 8.1 OWS. He was also clearly better than Ford, which was why he was on the floor more often than not in crunch time (from what I remember).
    Haha, yeah I didn't mean you. But I think you know what I'm talking about. Calderon was well above average as a starter those earlier years when he started, but all most people (or at least the more vocal ones) remember are the last two years.

You remember correctly. The team simply was a lot smoother when Calderon was on the floor. And whether eye test, Win Shares, Win Score, PER, APER or PER differential, he was definitely a top 10 PG that season in terms of overall positive impact on the team.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Y'all forgot about Milt Palacio. Always loved that guy's name. Ain't no point in cryin over spilled Milt!

Offensively I'd give it up to Mike James. The man was a scoring machine. Yes, people thought he was selfish, but how can you blame him when his teammates sucked. Take a look at our franchise records.. breakdown of all players with 15+ FGA/game with shooting percentage higher than 45%, sorted by assists per game. http://bkref.com/tiny/iMC0B.

Alternatively, 15+ FGA/game sorted by field goal percentage: http://bkref.com/tiny/4Dj94. Nothing but franchise players and Mike James on this list.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Alternatively, 15+ FGA/game sorted by field goal percentage: http://bkref.com/tiny/4Dj94. Nothing but franchise players and Mike James on this list.
    Holy shat! He took more shots that year than Bargnani did this year! haha Didn't see that coming.
    Impressive. Still. James was a stat padder who didn't care about anything other than getting his Big Pay Day.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Sundiata Gaines....how quickly we forget..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poll Added

I like how this thread is going. Great discussion people. FYI, I just added a poll.

Barrett and Palacio. Skip.

Post Thanks / Like

Was digging through the deep dark caves of my memory, and came up with a few people forgot:

Rafer Alston. Was twice a Raptor. We gave him his start in the NBA I believe.

Mugsy Bogues. Awesome.

Carlos Arroyo played a few games here. Pass.

Marcus Banks. He did play in a few games. I actually really liked the guy.

Does anyone Remember Derrick Dial?
    I remember I always got him and someone else mixed up when they were on the floor. They looked the exact same from behind .. can't remember the dudes name though. Ah well, there's a reason for that I guess. haha
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Skip was signed to a couple ten days and then kept for the rest of the season if my memory is correct. He then moved to Miami, which was Wade's rookie year, and then eventually coming back here the following year by signing that fat contract which was later dumped for Mike James. I think that's right.... It's been a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Skip was signed to a couple ten days and then kept for the rest of the season if my memory is correct. He then moved to Miami, which was Wade's rookie year, and then eventually coming back here the following year by signing that fat contract which was later dumped for Mike James. I think that's right.... It's been a while.
    Yep. Thats what I remember.
    Played well for us too.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Until that game where he didn't and he left the arena at half time after Sam Mitchell got through with him... Hahaha The Smitch really had a chip on his shoulder during the early years.

Raptors Republic Starter knickz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

you guys already know that i'm going to say my fav player in the nba and raptors history...if i have a another son i'm going to name him jose
    "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe I forgot Dee Brown as well (in addition to all those other guys).

But if we want obscure, how about Negele Knight for six games and Mark Baker, who played all of two minutes for us (as well as in the NBA), missed one shot and turned the ball over once. I guess those two minutes were better than nothing.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I always loved roko ukic. If he was given more of a chance I think he wouldve become a hall of fame PG. unbelievable talent and no one gave him a chance. shame on all of you.

Raptors Republic Starter Deadallus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fourth behind Mighty Mouse, Mark Jackson and Alvin Williams.
    Deadallus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information