No announcement yet.

Jay Triano out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This should have happened a month ago. MLSE has held everything up.

Comment

Yes, now we don't have to see a coach who rewards bad defense with playing time, hopefully.
      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
        hallelujah
        NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Colangelo: Assistant coach PJ Carlesimo will not be considered a candidate for the head coaching position.
          19 minutes ago via TweetDeck
          http://twitter.com/raptors/status/76051678662623232

WOOOO!
          Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Wed Jun 1, 2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Some of the players in NYC aren't happy with Mike. Don't be surprised if he leaves. I wouldn't be surprised if Colangelo requested the right to talk with him.

Comment

Straight from the horses mouth.

Thanks for the update RF4L.

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Some of the players in NYC aren't happy with Mike. Don't be surprised if he leaves. I wouldn't be surprised if Colangelo requested the right to talk with him.
              Interesting ... forgot about him. Great point.
              I think with Amare and Carmelo, their style of play needs to be reconsidered. Carmelo isn't a D'Antoni kind of guy. In my opinion.
              But D'Antoni is NORTORIOUSLY bad defensively. Like Jay Triano bad.
              Last edited by Joey; Wed Jun 1, 2011, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Something smells about this.... I think the Raptors knew they couldn't come back with the same old same old, but instead of clearing out Bargnani and Calderon or even replacing the General Manager, it feels like they fired the guy who is in many ways the least responsible for this mess. Don't get me wrong, Triano's a terrible head coach. He makes me pine for Mike Dunleavy. But it's not his fault that he's stuck with a C/PG combo that can't go anywhere and has wings that don't particularly care about defense. Plus whatever guy they get in there is just going to be a puppet for The GM.

But give Andrea Bargnani credit: That's 2 coaches that have been gassed because they couldn't make him look good.

(BTW, I love the fact that Triano took a "Special Assistant" role with the club. If he has ANY prospect of being a head coach or even on a NBA coaching staff next year, don't you think he would have taken it?)
                Last edited by DirtyMikeSeaver; Wed Jun 1, 2011, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Several league execs believe Colangelo will have to go 'opposite' in next coaching hire, with focus on defense. Lawrence Frank makes sense.
                  http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/76052420328824832

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
                  Just texted a source close to Colangelo and D'Antoni about a possible Phoenix reunion, and reply came an emphatic, "No." Stay tuned.
                  http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/76042756644016128

Comment

1A. Adelman
                    1B. Woodson

Comment

Thank God!!!

About Damn Time....

Rick Adelman or Lawerence Frank would be fine replacement...
                      "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                      My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

DirtyMikeSeaver wrote: View Post
                        Something smells about this.... I think the Raptors knew they couldn't come back with the same old same old, but instead of clearing out Bargnani and Calderon or even replacing the General Manager, it feels like they fired the guy who is in many ways the least responsible for this mess. Don't get me wrong, Triano's a terrible head coach. He makes me pine for Mike Dunleavy. But it's not his fault that he's stuck with a C/PG combo that can't go anywhere and has wings that don't particularly care about defense. Plus whatever guy they get in there is just going to be a puppet for The GM.

But give Andrea Bargnani credit: That's 2 coaches that have been gassed because they couldn't make him look good.
                        I disagree. Sam got smoked for being Sam. He was his own man and didn't seem to want to bend.

I personally didn't think Jay was a long term option and I said, in the Colangelo interview thread I created last week that basically Colangelo was being nice and giving Jay props publicly for his hard work but he was still as good as gone. Jay is not the best coach for a young team on the rise. They need a strong leader and he ain't it.

Adelman would be perfect but by his recent comments he sounds like he wants to manage now. Maybe Colangelo hires him as "GM" and head coach? He would get more input into where his team is going while manning the bench. Sounds good to me anyway. And I know, yeah, yeah, he's old but he doesn't seem to know that so quiet.

Comment

1. Mike Dunleavy
                          2. Jeff Van Gundy
                          (those probably aren't realistic, so my real list starts at #3.)
                          3. Lawrence Frank
                          4. Rick Adelman

ADD Have always liked Fratello, but I'm not sure he's looking to Coach again in the NBA. He's with the Ukranian National Team, which.. well.. I think he could do better. He's quality.

Wiki wrote:
                          Fratello was named coach of the year for the 1985–1986 NBA season. His NBA career stats are 666 wins and 542 losses for a .551 average. His teams have qualified for the playoffs in eleven of his 16 seasons as a head coach.

One of the most respected basketball minds despite having never won an NBA championship as a head coach, Fratello ranks 19 on the NBA's all-time win list and 21 in games coached.
                          Last edited by Joey; Wed Jun 1, 2011, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                            I don't think he meant assistant coach. More like assistant to the regional manager, err, general manager.
                            hahahaha

e2thed wrote: View Post
                            witty
                            Last edited by albertan_10; Wed Jun 1, 2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

first of all, cross the guys that are currently in retirement like sloan and jackson.

we have as much chance of getting them as we do red auerbach.

l. brown is a good defense guy, but, every part of the word and meaning of "douche" is him.

rick adelman is basically a lesser phil jackson, which is good.

i think we should also consider former g state coach keith smart.

also, can't forget about current asisitant coaches on contenders especially those in l.a.,boston, san antonio, phoenix, even dallas when the playoffs are over.

guys there maybe looking for a fresh start with a young team, especially as a head coach, as if they haven't realized it yet there teams are starting to go down the opposite side of the hill.
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                Straight from the horses mouth.

Thanks for the update RF4L.

Interesting ... forgot about him. Great point.
                                I think with Amare and Carmelo, their style of play needs to be reconsidered. Carmelo isn't a D'Antoni kind of guy. In my opinion.
                                But D'Antoni is NORTORIOUSLY bad defensively. Like Jay Triano bad.
                                well, word is if walsh goes or is on the ropes he's going to hack d'antoni as a last resort.

but, i don't imagine that happening at least until next off-season when cp3 and d. will are available.
                                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                                X