Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Triano out.

Post Thanks / Like

Straight from the horses mouth.

Thanks for the update RF4L.

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Some of the players in NYC aren't happy with Mike. Don't be surprised if he leaves. I wouldn't be surprised if Colangelo requested the right to talk with him.
    Interesting ... forgot about him. Great point.
    I think with Amare and Carmelo, their style of play needs to be reconsidered. Carmelo isn't a D'Antoni kind of guy. In my opinion.
    But D'Antoni is NORTORIOUSLY bad defensively. Like Jay Triano bad.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Jun 1st, 2011 at 06:50 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Something smells about this.... I think the Raptors knew they couldn't come back with the same old same old, but instead of clearing out Bargnani and Calderon or even replacing the General Manager, it feels like they fired the guy who is in many ways the least responsible for this mess. Don't get me wrong, Triano's a terrible head coach. He makes me pine for Mike Dunleavy. But it's not his fault that he's stuck with a C/PG combo that can't go anywhere and has wings that don't particularly care about defense. Plus whatever guy they get in there is just going to be a puppet for The GM.

But give Andrea Bargnani credit: That's 2 coaches that have been gassed because they couldn't make him look good.

(BTW, I love the fact that Triano took a "Special Assistant" role with the club. If he has ANY prospect of being a head coach or even on a NBA coaching staff next year, don't you think he would have taken it?)
    Last edited by DirtyMikeSeaver; Wed Jun 1st, 2011 at 06:59 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Several league execs believe Colangelo will have to go 'opposite' in next coaching hire, with focus on defense. Lawrence Frank makes sense.
    http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/76052420328824832

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
    Just texted a source close to Colangelo and D'Antoni about a possible Phoenix reunion, and reply came an emphatic, "No." Stay tuned.
    http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/76042756644016128

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1A. Adelman
    1B. Woodson

Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank God!!!

About Damn Time....

Rick Adelman or Lawerence Frank would be fine replacement...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DirtyMikeSeaver wrote: View Post
    Something smells about this.... I think the Raptors knew they couldn't come back with the same old same old, but instead of clearing out Bargnani and Calderon or even replacing the General Manager, it feels like they fired the guy who is in many ways the least responsible for this mess. Don't get me wrong, Triano's a terrible head coach. He makes me pine for Mike Dunleavy. But it's not his fault that he's stuck with a C/PG combo that can't go anywhere and has wings that don't particularly care about defense. Plus whatever guy they get in there is just going to be a puppet for The GM.

But give Andrea Bargnani credit: That's 2 coaches that have been gassed because they couldn't make him look good.
    I disagree. Sam got smoked for being Sam. He was his own man and didn't seem to want to bend.

I personally didn't think Jay was a long term option and I said, in the Colangelo interview thread I created last week that basically Colangelo was being nice and giving Jay props publicly for his hard work but he was still as good as gone. Jay is not the best coach for a young team on the rise. They need a strong leader and he ain't it.

Adelman would be perfect but by his recent comments he sounds like he wants to manage now. Maybe Colangelo hires him as "GM" and head coach? He would get more input into where his team is going while manning the bench. Sounds good to me anyway. And I know, yeah, yeah, he's old but he doesn't seem to know that so quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Mike Dunleavy
    2. Jeff Van Gundy
    (those probably aren't realistic, so my real list starts at #3.)
    3. Lawrence Frank
    4. Rick Adelman

ADD Have always liked Fratello, but I'm not sure he's looking to Coach again in the NBA. He's with the Ukranian National Team, which.. well.. I think he could do better. He's quality.

Quote Wiki wrote:
    Fratello was named coach of the year for the 1985–1986 NBA season. His NBA career stats are 666 wins and 542 losses for a .551 average. His teams have qualified for the playoffs in eleven of his 16 seasons as a head coach.

One of the most respected basketball minds despite having never won an NBA championship as a head coach, Fratello ranks 19 on the NBA's all-time win list and 21 in games coached.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Jun 1st, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    I don't think he meant assistant coach. More like assistant to the regional manager, err, general manager.
    hahahaha

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    witty
    Last edited by albertan_10; Wed Jun 1st, 2011 at 07:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

first of all, cross the guys that are currently in retirement like sloan and jackson.

we have as much chance of getting them as we do red auerbach.

l. brown is a good defense guy, but, every part of the word and meaning of "douche" is him.

rick adelman is basically a lesser phil jackson, which is good.

i think we should also consider former g state coach keith smart.

also, can't forget about current asisitant coaches on contenders especially those in l.a.,boston, san antonio, phoenix, even dallas when the playoffs are over.

guys there maybe looking for a fresh start with a young team, especially as a head coach, as if they haven't realized it yet there teams are starting to go down the opposite side of the hill.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Straight from the horses mouth.

Thanks for the update RF4L.

Interesting ... forgot about him. Great point.
    I think with Amare and Carmelo, their style of play needs to be reconsidered. Carmelo isn't a D'Antoni kind of guy. In my opinion.
    But D'Antoni is NORTORIOUSLY bad defensively. Like Jay Triano bad.
    well, word is if walsh goes or is on the ropes he's going to hack d'antoni as a last resort.

but, i don't imagine that happening at least until next off-season when cp3 and d. will are available.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Eric Smith wrote:
    Colangelo said someone with "pedigree" or a "resume" would be an ideal choice for this young Raptors team. i.e. Veteran coach I'd assume
    14 minutes ago
    http://twitter.com/Eric__Smith/status/76057331921715200

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty shocked, thought for sure theyd keep him on. Here's hoping they get someone good :/
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet god not dunleavy
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DirtyMikeSeaver wrote: View Post
    (BTW, I love the fact that Triano took a "Special Assistant" role with the club. If he has ANY prospect of being a head coach or even on a NBA coaching staff next year, don't you think he would have taken it?)
    Not really? When was the last time you saw a head coach get fired and immediately take a head coach position with another team? Fired coaches take breaks or other types of positions until they get an offer (see Woodson, Van Gundy, Mke Brown, etc.). Not saying I think Triano will get another head coach offer, but your reasoning doesn't support your conclusion.
    Last edited by Quixotic; Wed Jun 1st, 2011 at 07:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The only head coaching gig I could see him with is team Canada. And I hope it happens, that moron Rautins is running the program into the ground.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Sweet god not dunleavy
    Why not Mike Dunleavy? Besides the Clippers, (which he actually led to within a game of the Western Finals) and Milwauke (where they literally had less talent than an NBDL team) he has shown to be VERY competent. He's a VERY successful Head Coach.
    And having played in the league for a few years himself, he has always been considered a players Coach.
    We probably won't even look at him, but I'm not sure why someone would be against hiring him.

I know the Lakers were looking to bring him back before settling on Brown (He Coached them to the Finals previously).
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Yay. I wanted Triano out, I think he got a lot more credit than due for the young player development. That said he is in the Tannenbaum field of dreams so would be in the organization somewhere.

As for replacements, SVG isn't going anywhere, forget the silly crap about Sloan or Phil Jackson coming out of retirement cuz it isn't happening, and if by some miracle it did, it wouldn't be here.

Since Colangelo is now saying experienced/resume:

Adelman would be a great pick-up, and Apollo's point about GM/coach would be very interesting. He has not coached on the east coast or conference I believe, but would love him here.
    Frank I am back and forth on, but would be happy with the choice.
    JVG - doubt it but sure I would be fine with this.
    Larry Brown...next. Seriously don't even think about it.
    Mike Woodsen - I can't offer a truly informed opinion, I defer to the other posters
    Fratello - Meh
    Dunleavy - uh, not my choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on all coaches. Adelman is far and away my first choice.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to get a big name coach, but do you think they would come to TOronto? More importantly, would a defensive minded coach want to coach for Toronto? If a new coach held players accountable on defense who would play? JJ? JW?

I dont like this move at all. Jay was a bad defensive coach but the players liked him and thats what matters. Also, dont forget, before Chris Bosh quit on us he did get the Raps to 4th in the Eastern Conference.

I hope we can get Frank or Mike Woodsen. Its hard to see adleman or brown wanting to come into a rebuild situation this late in their career.

Post Thanks / Like

Brown only likes rebuild situations. =P

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information