Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raptors Draft Grade With Colangelo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors Draft Grade With Colangelo

2011 LOTTERY PICK: 5
    PICKS LAST 5 YEARS: Andrea Bargnani, P.J. Tucker, Edin Bavcic, Giorgos Printezis, DeMar DeRozan, Ed Davis, and Solomon Alabi
    GRADE: B+

The Raptors took Andrea Bargnani with the first overall pick in 2006, and he has proven to be a very good NBA player, but not a true franchise player. He is a great scorer who can shoot lights out, but that is about the extent of his game at this point, and as long as he is the Raptors’ best player, they will not be making any trips to the playoffs. DeMar DeRozan averaged 17 points per game this year, and looks to be Toronto’s shooting guard for years to come. Ed Davis had a very good rookie campaign averaging seven points and seven rebounds, while shooting 57 percent from the field. He is another good building block for the team going forward.
    Source: DimeMag.com

Do you people agree?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Bargnani would get him at least a C, considering most teams would've picked either Bargnani or Aldridge. He gets a B+/A- for DeRozan and an A/A+ for Davis. The other players were pretty insignificant.

Post Thanks / Like

All the other guys were second rounders. The picks that GM's are expected to get right, Bryan Colangelo did well with.

Post Thanks / Like

printezis was a draft day trade, so it's kind of borderline qualify. roy hibbert was drafted by him, but, given it was who indiana wanted and still no word to this day on whether bryan would have picked him. again borderline qualify

bavcic also borderline.

derozan i think is an A, and Davis is an A+ because he was slotted to go top 10 and we got him at 13.

Bargnani also an A.

i think he's done a damn good job with the picks he's had, but, i think he could have had more picks than he has had and he's rid some of them and not acquired another 1st rounder.

which I beleive he could have, but, chose not to.

so, i think it's a B+ grade.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Because we don't know if he would have drafted Hibbert if he wasn't trading the pick he can't qualify.

What's the difference between Colangelo acquiring the pick that lands him Printezis a year before the draft or trading for him immediately on draft day? To me, nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Because we don't know if he would have drafted Hibbert if he wasn't trading the pick he can't qualify.

What's the difference between Colangelo acquiring the pick that lands him Printezis a year before the draft or trading for him immediately on draft day? To me, nothing.
    my counterpoint to that is that he's never played a game in the nba, not sure he's even held a workout.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Post Thanks / Like

How is that a counter point? You were questioning if Colangelo should be credited from drafting Printezis and I said to you, what does it matter if the trade happened the day of or a year prior because either way he got the guy on draft night.

The fact that he hasn't played yet in the NBA means what really? To me it means that he's locked into a contract overseas. It is no reflection on his ability to play in the NBA if that's where you're heading. Calderon never held a workout. He wasn't even drafted.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Davis is an A+ because he was slotted to go top 10 and we got him at 13.
    Actually in terms of Colangelo's draft grade, I would give something around a B+, or a more neutral grade. Davis fell into his lap, it wasn't any genius discovery of Colangelo's.
    The only thing that warrants an A+, at least for me, is a pick like Rondo, or even just someone like Landry Fields. Specifically, someone he drafted with a low, non lottery pick that everyone else passed over but he got because of his superior preparation, insight, and scouting ability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Kennay wrote: View Post
    Actually in terms of Colangelo's draft grade, I would give something around a B+, or a more neutral grade. Davis fell into his lap, it wasn't any genius discovery of Colangelo's.
    The only thing that warrants an A+, at least for me, is a pick like Rondo, or even just someone like Landry Fields. Specifically, someone he drafted with a low, non lottery pick that everyone else passed over but he got because of his superior preparation, insight, and scouting ability.
    ah, shit my bad i meant A-. sorry bout that.

Post Thanks / Like

How is that a counter point? You were questioning if Colangelo should be credited from drafting Printezis and I said to you, what does it matter if the trade happened the day of or a year prior because either way he got the guy on draft night.

The fact that he hasn't played yet in the NBA means what really? To me it means that he's locked into a contract overseas. It is no reflection on his ability to play in the NBA if that's where you're heading. Calderon never held a workout. He wasn't even drafted.
    i guess you could look at it like he got him and he never made an attempt to bring him in so it was a complete waste.

i don't know, anyways, lets quit arguing about some no name second rounder and start arguing about edin bavcic, hahaha.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to play devil's advocate no one expected Davis to fall that much and it seemed like a no brainer to me. A lotta luck on that one.

But yeah, I think BC is solid and drafting them 1st rounders. He's still due for a sleeper 2nd rounder one these days! But ya can't really complain about that.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

B+ sounds good.

A- if he had managed to get someone half useful in the second round, which he hasn't.

While he shouldn't be awarded too much for getting Davis at #13, several GMs did pass on Davis and take inferior players (IMO), so we shouldn't take the Davis pick for granted.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would give him lower then that because he decided a few times to trade a first round pick in a package deals that were rated poor trades and did not really turn out well for the Raptors.

Post Thanks / Like

All the other guys were second rounders. The picks that GM's are expected to get right, Bryan Colangelo did well with.
    Yep, if you want to find one of Colangelo's faults, the draft isn't one of them.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    I would give him lower then that because he decided a few times to trade a first round pick in a package deals that were rated poor trades and did not really turn out well for the Raptors.
    But how great did those picks turn out for other teams? Should be considered too.
    Hibbert as an example, is not a cornerstone piece imo ... barely acceptable rebounding and defence for a starting C.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

expand to his Phoenix time ... he nabbed Amar'e and Marion with #9 picks I believe ... he has an eye for talent.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    i guess you could look at it like he got him and he never made an attempt to bring him in so it was a complete waste.
    It's a waste if he uses the pick and it never amounts to anything, as in like 99% of second round choices. Colangelo used him to acquire another 2nd round pick, Alexis Ajinca and some cash. Sounds like alright value to me. The took a flier on a player, got another shot in the 2nd round and some money.

Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    Yep, if you want to find one of Colangelo's faults, the draft isn't one of them.
    If he has a fault its that he's always swinging for the fences and unfortunately in Toronto he's flied out more times than not. That could change though, all he needs is a little luck. This is a good view for everyone to take because like it or not he's here for a long time now.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that BC deserves at least a B+, if not an A-.

Davis and DeRozan are looking like great picks and I think will look even better as time goes on.

Although Bargnani is not a franchise player, I don't recall anybody ever referring to him as one, especially BC. He was picked #1 overall, but I disagree that "Franchise Player" should automatically come with that designation. Back before that draft most experts, fans and myself all had a short-list of 6 players for the #1 pick: Bargnani, Aldridge, Tyrus Thomas, Roy, Gay and Foye. Aldrige/Thomas were ruled out for the Raps because they had an emerging star at the PF position in Bosh. I was pushing for Roy, as the best of the swing men, with Bargnani being my #2 pick. For three seasons it looked like the Raps blew it by not taking Roy, but looking ahead I'd rather have Bargnani than Roy-tirement! Yes Aldridge is a great player, but can you imagine how much heat BC would've taken by using the #1 pick to draft a backup PF (not due to talent, but due to Bosh starting at PF)??? Gay and Foye were distant 4th/5th options and the offensive threat and opportunity for mismatches that Bargnani presented were too enticing to overlook. Plus, he has proven to be a decent offensive player who still has room to improve on both ends of the floor. Given the roster the Raps had at the time and the fact that Roy could be out of the NBA, drafting Bargnani has to be looked on favorably, unless you automatically force the #1 pick to be a franchise player... but I don't think Aldridge or Gay are franchise players either.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jun 2nd, 2011 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i think if he tried to get marion originally instead of jermaine we would have had a good season and sam wouldn't have got fired.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft Grade: C+

Bargnani is at best a C. He was at best the 6th best player taken in that draft but used the #1 pick to get. I'm giving BC the benifit of the doubt here because that draft was terrible. (If it wasn't it would be a straight F)

Derozan is a C+. At 9 he's respectable... but he has hardly done or accomplished anything yet. Everyone sees his "potential" and thats great... but there is not a single player that has ever played in the NBA that didn't have potential. Potential is meaningless without results. He still has significant flaws to his game that need to be addressed. Also there were still much better selections after Derozan.

Ed Davis is a B. Does he look like he'll be good? yes. But again has done nothing yet. Better value than Derozan was with a pick at 13.. and MAYBE he best value in his draft at 13.

2nd round picks I could care less about (but when you get a good one... that can be the difference maker)

Thread Information