"Toronto Raptors are the frontrunners for Flynn"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slaw wrote: View Post
    The more I think about this trade the more it seems like a classic BC-with-the-Raptors-move: Running as hard and as fast as you can to stay in exactly the same place.
    For next year, you are probably very correct. In fact, I hope you are. I would like nothing more than to see the Raps drop Calderon, add some young pieces for next year, then get another high draft pick next year to add one more young piece, and have $6.2M less in salary next summer to go along with Barbosa's $7.6M expiring.

The worst case scenario is Flynn is a backup for 2 seasons. The best case is he shows he is deserving to be a starting PG in the league or at least a serviceable back up - either one would have trade value.

Comment

Dude the point is you know what you're getting with Jose: a solid PG that's past his prime and overpaid. Flynn might suck, but then he might now. The triangle isn't friendly to PG's and he's coming off an injury.

It's low risk.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Another thought I had is that if the Raps could do the deal with Minny and get the #2 pick, but wanted to pick Kanter, they could try to swing a minor deal with Cleveland at the draft; Toronto drafts Williams #2, Cleveland drafts Kanter #4, then they trade players with Toronto getting another minor asset in return. Just another potential advantage to making a trade with Minny along these lines.

Comment

If you can pull a calderon for flynn I think you do it. Flynn may (is probably) NOT the starting PG we want 3 years from now, but we likely AREN'T getting that PG in this draft or FA anyway. At the worst this moves makes sense for cap reason that MAY allow us to sign a FA PG in the future or act as a stop gap until we draft one. I don't see Kemba as an upgrade over Flynn and if we keep the pick at 5 it looks less an less like Brandon Knight will be available. I don't see how this doesn't work out well for us.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            its what a dude on twitter said verbatim.
            Yes, I know. Alex Kennedy said:

As @TheRocketGuy mention in today's article, the Toronto Raptors are currently the frontrunner to acquire Jonny Flynn.
            So I looked up the article by TheRocketGuy AKA Bill Ingram, which I linked earlier but here it is again:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19999

Now that Ricky Rubio is going to officially join the Minnesota Timberwolves, it's time for Minnesota to make a couple of decisions. First of all, they have to go ahead and move Jonny Flynn, who they have been shopping for some time, and it's time to go ahead and move the second overall pick in this year's draft.

The Timberwolves have had a number of conversations with teams interested in Flynn, and more recently it seems he might wind up in Toronto. Flynn is a native of Niagara and Toronto is practically home for him. The Raptors have been looking to change up their point guard rotation and Flynn would be part of that solution.
            Unless there's yet another source I'm missing, Kennedy seems to be making nothing sound like more than nothing. It's just A) the Timberwolves are looking to move Flynn, and B) Toronto could be his destination because the Raptors are looking for a PG and Toronto is practically home to him. He doesn't cite a source, even as a lowly "source connected to the Timberwolves front office". I don't see how this makes Toronto a frontrunner aside from the fact that we are one of the few teams that need a PG badly.

Comment

Journalists would never do that!
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                Journalists would never do that!
                You'll have to forgive me while I remain skeptical. =P

Twitter and the world of 140-character reporting is not exactly the pinnacle of accuracy. You getting us this news while taking a dump had a thousand times more credibility.

Comment

Having 2 top 5 picks could also be bait for a certain LA Clippers team?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    It's worth it no matter what else they get. Calderon is not the same guy he was three years ago and on top of that he's too old to be part of a rebuilding core. He needs to go. Johnny Flynn battled injuries last season and surprise, surprise his shooting numbers dropped because of it. Funny thing is though through it all he became or of a distributor. The kid has lots of promise. He's a TJ Ford type player, the kind of guard Colangelo likes to have in his high octane system. Him and Bayless would be alright as along as they bring in a decent vet PG for the bench as well. I'm up for adding young talent with lots of upside.
                    his shooting numbers dropped what a whole 1%? Plus he racks up turnovers like Jose does assists.......

.... if this stomach turning trade goes down I'll give the guy a chance (well not like I have a choice in the matter), but man this seems like an incredible waste of year at PG.

Comment

Why in the world would the Raps trade for Flynn? What's the compelling case for handing over the starter's job to a guy who has a TS% and EFG% under 50%; a career per of 11.3; negative WS; and a career DRtg of 114 to go with a career ORtg of 94? That's the PG of the future? Jebus.

This team needs long-term solutions and it needs to start using its capspace effectively. Flynn is already 2 years into his rookie deal, which means the Raps lose control of him sooner than a Walker or Knight. He regressed last year. Yes, injuries didn't help him but his advanced stats are awful over 2 years. Is he going to make the Raps materially better than Walker or Knight? Plus, don't the Raps already have Bayless? I just don't see the point of bringing in yet another below average player and giving him significant minutes. At some point, that has to end.
                      Trading for Flynn makes sense because it would make Bargnani look marginally better when BC is unable to deal him.....

all jokes aside... you are right on the money.

Comment

You guys are missing the point. It's not Calderon vs Flynn. It's Calderon and Walker/Knight vs Kanter/Williams and Flynn. And while Walker/Knight *might* be better than Flynn (it's not even a sure thing), I'd take Kanter/Williams for our future over Calderon any day, and I'm a staunch believer in Calderon.

You do realize you usually have to give up something to get something? You can't expect other GMs to bend over and hand you your long-term solutions, ready to go. If a player was a sure thing already, there wouldn't even be a need for conversation.

Comment

what do most of u guys smoke on here? bayless is better than any of these clowns
                          "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

Why in the world would the Raps trade for Flynn? What's the compelling case for handing over the starter's job to a guy who has a TS% and EFG% under 50%; a career per of 11.3; negative WS; and a career DRtg of 114 to go with a career ORtg of 94? That's the PG of the future? Jebus.

This team needs long-term solutions and it needs to start using its capspace effectively. Flynn is already 2 years into his rookie deal, which means the Raps lose control of him sooner than a Walker or Knight. He regressed last year. Yes, injuries didn't help him but his advanced stats are awful over 2 years. Is he going to make the Raps materially better than Walker or Knight? Plus, don't the Raps already have Bayless? I just don't see the point of bringing in yet another below average player and giving him significant minutes. At some point, that has to end.
                            atleast someone on here has some common sense

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                              Trading for Flynn makes sense because it would make Bargnani look marginally better when BC is unable to deal him.....

all jokes aside... you are right on the money.
                              another guy with basketball sense

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                                You guys are missing the point. It's not Calderon vs Flynn. It's Calderon and Walker/Knight vs Kanter/Williams and Flynn. And while Walker/Knight *might* be better than Flynn (it's not even a sure thing), I'd take Kanter/Williams for our future over Calderon any day, and I'm a staunch believer in Calderon.
                                Quix, you're assuming that the Raps would end up with the second pick. Obviously, that changes the calculation but I am failing to see why swapping picks would be part of such a deal. Minny could get better value for that pick than Calderon and the Wolves have no need to dump Flynn. They'll have options.

Comment

Working...
                                X