No announcement yet.

"Toronto Raptors are the frontrunners for Flynn"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you look at the scouting reports for Flynn in 2009, they look eerily similar to Kemba. Plus Flynn is 22 (Kemba is 21), has NBA experience, and as CalgaryRapsFan says, it fits with Colangelo's strategy of stockpiling young assets. If anyone is high on Kemba, then they should like Flynn's skills too and see the value in the Raptors trying to unlock his potential. Chauncey Billups took a while to get going too, and then put up a decade of solid numbers.

Maybe Flynn just needs a change of scenery, to get away from the triangle offense, and perhaps fully recover from his injuries. I would take the chance, especially if it means dumping Calderon's contract and getting a higher pick (or an unprotected pick next year).
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Flynn just needs out of the triangle. He'll be just fine.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm all for this

This trade would in a way give the Raps draft Williams @2 and a Kemba-like player in Flynn (if they're so high on Kemba, that is). I'm ok with this trade.

Now if they can also keep their #5 pick, BC is God !

EDIT: Would the TPE be enough to exclude the #5 pick in this trade?

Comment

toronto is first on the list of suitors, porlly not done in non-random order though.

* Say goodbye to Jonny Flynn.

You can bet he will be traded by draft night to make room exclusively for Rubio.

Possible trading partners: Toronto, Detroit, Sacramento, Phoenix.
          http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/123008438.html
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

RAPS4LIFE wrote: View Post
            This trade would in a way give the Raps draft Williams @2 and a Kemba-like player in Flynn (if they're so high on Kemba, that is). I'm ok with this trade.

Now if they can also keep their #5 pick, BC is God !

EDIT: Would the TPE be enough to exclude the #5 pick in this trade?
            Possibly, but I doubt it. Minny could trade Flynn and another higher paid player (ie: Webster or Ridnour) to Toronto for Calderon, with Toronto using $3.192M of the TPE on Flynn; essentially trading Calderon for Webster/Ridnour. Doing that worked on the ESPN Trade Machine. If I'm Minny, I'd rather have the #5 pick than a $3.192M TPE, even if all I do is turn around and use it in another trade.
            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jun 2, 2011, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Can I be honest? I think if you combine Jonny Flynn with Jerryd Bayless, you get Jonny Bayless, or Jerryd Flynn. The point is, they're both about the same and neither is very good. I've read some people talk about open competition which will force them both to compete and get better. Sure they'll get better, but at the end of the day you'll still have two very average point guards. The only difference between the two will be that one of them will be slightly more demoralized than the other.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

better to take a chance on a possible future all-star than a former all-star.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                  better to take a chance on a possible future all-star than a former all-star.
                  Especially when, in a year or two from now, both those young potential all-stars will have significantly more trade value than a washed-up injury-prone former almost-all-star.

Comment

yep

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      http://twitter.com/#!/AlexKennedyNBA...57278185439232

Rubio is in Minnesota. The Raptors are the front runners for Flynn. What's that I hear? Sounds like the Jose Calderon trade machine is coming online again.
                      First time I played with the idea of Calderon to Minnesota was December 31st, 2010 and there have been many variations since.

Calderon for Webster and Flynn makes sense for all involved, in my opinion.

Calderon - obvious and much discussed, I find it extremely interesting how no one in the US mainstream is talking about Calderon to MIN given all the talk of Flynn to Toronto.

Webster has a team option after next year, Kleiza is out for a good chunk of next year, so we are thin at SF - problem solved. As an added bonus Webster can shoot and has been in the league 6 years.

Flynn has tremendous upside and given Toronto's current situation, pretty much no risk proposition.

Comment

Why in the world would the Raps trade for Flynn? What's the compelling case for handing over the starter's job to a guy who has a TS% and EFG% under 50%; a career per of 11.3; negative WS; and a career DRtg of 114 to go with a career ORtg of 94? That's the PG of the future? Jebus.

This team needs long-term solutions and it needs to start using its capspace effectively. Flynn is already 2 years into his rookie deal, which means the Raps lose control of him sooner than a Walker or Knight. He regressed last year. Yes, injuries didn't help him but his advanced stats are awful over 2 years. Is he going to make the Raps materially better than Walker or Knight? Plus, don't the Raps already have Bayless? I just don't see the point of bringing in yet another below average player and giving him significant minutes. At some point, that has to end.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          Why in the world would the Raps trade for Flynn? What's the compelling case for handing over the starter's job to a guy who has a TS% and EFG% under 50%; a career per of 11.3; negative WS; and a career DRtg of 114 to go with a career ORtg of 94? That's the PG of the future? Jebus.

This team needs long-term solutions and it needs to start using its capspace effectively. Flynn is already 2 years into his rookie deal, which means the Raps lose control of him sooner than a Walker or Knight. He regressed last year. Yes, injuries didn't help him but his advanced stats are awful over 2 years. Is he going to make the Raps materially better than Walker or Knight? Plus, don't the Raps already have Bayless? I just don't see the point of bringing in yet another below average player and giving him significant minutes. At some point, that has to end.
                          Reasons why trade for Flynn:

1) 22
                          2) excellent career at Syracuse
                          3) playing for a system that does nothing for him
                          4) showed promise in rookie year, coming off major surgery in year 2, never did get in shape, missed training camp and first part of season.

As for using cap space effectively:

1) Webster/FLynn for Calderon saves $1M next year and possibly $6.2M year after if Webster's option not picked up
                          2) Flynn has 2 years on deal like Calderon but with only $6.6M left vs. $20.2M for Calderon
                          3) If you are right - so be it. He'll be gone in 2 years but there is much more upside in him than Calderon (especially with WC and 2012 Olympic talk he is spewing - injured much?).

Flynn for Calderon is low risk, high reward - especially considering no other team in the league would touch Calderon.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Flynn for Calderon is low risk, high reward - especially considering no other team in the league would touch Calderon.
                            The more I think about this trade the more it seems like a classic BC-with-the-Raptors-move: Running as hard and as fast as you can to stay in exactly the same place.

Comment

Don't like Flynn as a starting PG at all, and I don't get the idea of taking other teams "outcasts" and hoping to try and make them into something they are not, ie. a star/piece of the puzzle. However, I would do this deal if means moving up in the draft, and/or, for lack of a better word, dumping Calderon and his contract.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                I'd link to sources but im making this thread from my iPhone in the office bathroom
                                Your dedication to the cause is exemplary.

:P
                                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                                X