• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Toronto Raptors are the frontrunners for Flynn"

News blowing up my twitter right now + hoopshype article

Where theres smoke there's fire...
    @sweatpantsjer

I'd link to sources but im making this thread from my iPhone in the office bathroom
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Link

http://twitter.com/#!/AlexKennedyNBA...57278185439232

Rubio is in Minnesota. The Raptors are the front runners for Flynn. What's that I hear? Sounds like the Jose Calderon trade machine is coming online again.

Comment

I'm still trying to find the source that guy is citing. Without that, it means very little.

EDIT: If the source Kennedy is citing is this article (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19999), then yay for taking stuff out of context.

The Timberwolves have had a number of conversations with teams interested in Flynn, and more recently it seems he might wind up in Toronto. Flynn is a native of Niagara and Toronto is practically home for him. The Raptors have been looking to change up their point guard rotation and Flynn would be part of that solution.
        This means the Raptors are the frontrunners? Unless the Timberwolves front office actually said something about preferring a trade package from Toronto, this means nothing. Flynn is from Niagara, yay?
        Last edited by Quixotic; Thu Jun 2, 2011, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I posted this as a new topic in the Trade Proposals section of the RR Forum (and the other Calderon/Flynn thread on the main page):

So in light of Rubio deciding to come play for Minnesota, I thought I'd revisit the Calderon-to-Minnesota rumor and address a few teams' needs.

TO MINNESOTA
          - Calderon (to mentor Rubio and give Minny veteran leadership on the floor)
          - Barbosa (they have no SG and he would also be another veteran that Kahn wants)
          - #5 pick (from Toronto)

TO INDIANA
          - Ridnour (PG/salary dump for Minny, would be veteran PG for Indy to pair with Collison)
          - Ellington (end of bench player from Minny, purely for salary-matching reasons)

TO TORONTO
          - Flynn (PG dump for Minny, would give Bayless good young competition for PG time in TO)
          - Webster (salary-matching from Minny, more decent young wing depth for Toronto)
          - Posey (salary dump from Indy, either bought-out or traded by Toronto)
          - cash from Indy to help facilitate buy-out of Posey
          - #2 pick (from Minny)
          - #45 pick (from Indy)

* Toronto would have a few more options regarding which players to keep, trade or buy-out (Posey) --> I assume Toronto would draft Williams @ #2, or possibly Kanter

* Minny would go from Flynn/Ridnour to Calderon/Rubio at PG, would also add a veteran SG on an expiring contract in Barbosa (Webster is behind Beasley/Wesley at SF) and would still have the #5 pick to either use or trade

* Indy would add veteran PG depth (Ridnour) for the big expiring contract of Posey, a 2nd-round pick and cash; they would save $2M next season

NOTE:
          I couldn't do the trade as-is, due to Barbosa not having exercised his option, but I did it with Kleiza/DeRozan acting as a place-holder for his contract, since they are roughly equal money. That trade did work on ESPN's Trade Machine

Comment

Webster played well at the end of the season when the games didn't matter and the tank seemed to be in. It looked like a marketing ploy. The man had back surgery not too long ago by the way. That's enough to pause and rethink it again. Beyond that this trade looks more or less like a fleecing for the Raptors. So they get Flynn, Derrick Williams and a couple fillers for Calderon, Barbosa and the #5? Giddy up... But why do the Wolves do that?

Comment

Why do we want Flynn exactly? Not a distributor, poor shooter, not a solid defender.. We can attribute this to the triangle offense, but even then I think Walker/Knight at the #5 would be better suited to the Raptors roster.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                Why do we want Flynn exactly? Not a distributor, poor shooter, not a solid defender.. We can attribute this to the triangle offense, but even then I think Walker/Knight at the #5 would be better suited to the Raptors roster.
                If the Raps also upgraded from #5 to #2 pick, then I think it would be worth swapping Calderon for Flynn. Even if Flynn doesn't become the PG of the future, it creates short term competition between Flynn & Bayless to earn the starting role and that should help improve the trade value of both players. Even if he and/or Bayless wind up getting used as trade bait in a future deal, I think stockpiling young assets with good potential is in line with BC's rebuilding plan.

Comment

It's worth it no matter what else they get. Calderon is not the same guy he was three years ago and on top of that he's too old to be part of a rebuilding core. He needs to go. Johnny Flynn battled injuries last season and surprise, surprise his shooting numbers dropped because of it. Funny thing is though through it all he became or of a distributor. The kid has lots of promise. He's a TJ Ford type player, the kind of guard Colangelo likes to have in his high octane system. Him and Bayless would be alright as along as they bring in a decent vet PG for the bench as well. I'm up for adding young talent with lots of upside.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    I'd link to sources but im making this thread from my iPhone in the office bathroom
                    Hahaha Appreciate the effort Brother.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      It's worth it no matter what else they get. Calderon is not the same guy he was three years ago and on top of that he's too old to be part of a rebuilding core. He needs to go. Johnny Flynn battled injuries last season and surprise, surprise his shooting numbers dropped because of it. Funny thing is though through it all he became or of a distributor. The kid has lots of promise. He's a TJ Ford type player, the kind of guard Colangelo likes to have in his high octane system. Him and Bayless would be alright as along as they bring in a decent vet PG for the bench as well. I'm up for adding young talent with lots of upside.
                      Do you see Flynn & Bayless capable of playing together? If any sort of Calderon/Flynn trade went down, I expect Bayless to become trade bait, possibly to acquire that defensive C that BC talked about (assuming they take Williams @ #2 and not Kanter).

Comment

Why would they look to deplete their PG crop? Bayless is still going to be needed. He's not a star and neither is Flynn. Neither of them is even established. They're just both young, talented PG's who may end up being good. Best environment for them is having someone looking over their shoulder challenging them.

Comment

yeah unless they get something pretty valuable for him, bayless isn't going anywhere. he becomes even more valuable if barbosa opts out.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                            I'm still trying to find the source that guy is citing. Without that, it means very little.

EDIT: If the source Kennedy is citing is this article (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19999), then yay for taking stuff out of context.

This means the Raptors are the frontrunners? Unless the Timberwolves front office actually said something about preferring a trade package from Toronto, this means nothing. Flynn is from Niagara, yay?
                            its what a dude on twitter said verbatim.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

one of the hoopshype guys? i can't even remember. that poo was so long ago.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                              X