Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: "Toronto Raptors are the frontrunners for Flynn"

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I be honest? I think if you combine Jonny Flynn with Jerryd Bayless, you get Jonny Bayless, or Jerryd Flynn. The point is, they're both about the same and neither is very good. I've read some people talk about open competition which will force them both to compete and get better. Sure they'll get better, but at the end of the day you'll still have two very average point guards. The only difference between the two will be that one of them will be slightly more demoralized than the other.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

better to take a chance on a possible future all-star than a former all-star.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    better to take a chance on a possible future all-star than a former all-star.
    Especially when, in a year or two from now, both those young potential all-stars will have significantly more trade value than a washed-up injury-prone former almost-all-star.

Post Thanks / Like

yep
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    http://twitter.com/#!/AlexKennedyNBA...57278185439232

Rubio is in Minnesota. The Raptors are the front runners for Flynn. What's that I hear? Sounds like the Jose Calderon trade machine is coming online again.
    First time I played with the idea of Calderon to Minnesota was December 31st, 2010 and there have been many variations since.

Calderon for Webster and Flynn makes sense for all involved, in my opinion.

Calderon - obvious and much discussed, I find it extremely interesting how no one in the US mainstream is talking about Calderon to MIN given all the talk of Flynn to Toronto.

Webster has a team option after next year, Kleiza is out for a good chunk of next year, so we are thin at SF - problem solved. As an added bonus Webster can shoot and has been in the league 6 years.

Flynn has tremendous upside and given Toronto's current situation, pretty much no risk proposition.

Post Thanks / Like

Why in the world would the Raps trade for Flynn? What's the compelling case for handing over the starter's job to a guy who has a TS% and EFG% under 50%; a career per of 11.3; negative WS; and a career DRtg of 114 to go with a career ORtg of 94? That's the PG of the future? Jebus.

This team needs long-term solutions and it needs to start using its capspace effectively. Flynn is already 2 years into his rookie deal, which means the Raps lose control of him sooner than a Walker or Knight. He regressed last year. Yes, injuries didn't help him but his advanced stats are awful over 2 years. Is he going to make the Raps materially better than Walker or Knight? Plus, don't the Raps already have Bayless? I just don't see the point of bringing in yet another below average player and giving him significant minutes. At some point, that has to end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Why in the world would the Raps trade for Flynn? What's the compelling case for handing over the starter's job to a guy who has a TS% and EFG% under 50%; a career per of 11.3; negative WS; and a career DRtg of 114 to go with a career ORtg of 94? That's the PG of the future? Jebus.

This team needs long-term solutions and it needs to start using its capspace effectively. Flynn is already 2 years into his rookie deal, which means the Raps lose control of him sooner than a Walker or Knight. He regressed last year. Yes, injuries didn't help him but his advanced stats are awful over 2 years. Is he going to make the Raps materially better than Walker or Knight? Plus, don't the Raps already have Bayless? I just don't see the point of bringing in yet another below average player and giving him significant minutes. At some point, that has to end.
    Reasons why trade for Flynn:

1) 22
    2) excellent career at Syracuse
    3) playing for a system that does nothing for him
    4) showed promise in rookie year, coming off major surgery in year 2, never did get in shape, missed training camp and first part of season.

As for using cap space effectively:

1) Webster/FLynn for Calderon saves $1M next year and possibly $6.2M year after if Webster's option not picked up
    2) Flynn has 2 years on deal like Calderon but with only $6.6M left vs. $20.2M for Calderon
    3) If you are right - so be it. He'll be gone in 2 years but there is much more upside in him than Calderon (especially with WC and 2012 Olympic talk he is spewing - injured much?).

Flynn for Calderon is low risk, high reward - especially considering no other team in the league would touch Calderon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Flynn for Calderon is low risk, high reward - especially considering no other team in the league would touch Calderon.
    The more I think about this trade the more it seems like a classic BC-with-the-Raptors-move: Running as hard and as fast as you can to stay in exactly the same place.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't like Flynn as a starting PG at all, and I don't get the idea of taking other teams "outcasts" and hoping to try and make them into something they are not, ie. a star/piece of the puzzle. However, I would do this deal if means moving up in the draft, and/or, for lack of a better word, dumping Calderon and his contract.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I'd link to sources but im making this thread from my iPhone in the office bathroom
    Your dedication to the cause is exemplary.

:P
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

The more I think about this trade the more it seems like a classic BC-with-the-Raptors-move: Running as hard and as fast as you can to stay in exactly the same place.
    For next year, you are probably very correct. In fact, I hope you are. I would like nothing more than to see the Raps drop Calderon, add some young pieces for next year, then get another high draft pick next year to add one more young piece, and have $6.2M less in salary next summer to go along with Barbosa's $7.6M expiring.

The worst case scenario is Flynn is a backup for 2 seasons. The best case is he shows he is deserving to be a starting PG in the league or at least a serviceable back up - either one would have trade value.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude the point is you know what you're getting with Jose: a solid PG that's past his prime and overpaid. Flynn might suck, but then he might now. The triangle isn't friendly to PG's and he's coming off an injury.

It's low risk.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Another thought I had is that if the Raps could do the deal with Minny and get the #2 pick, but wanted to pick Kanter, they could try to swing a minor deal with Cleveland at the draft; Toronto drafts Williams #2, Cleveland drafts Kanter #4, then they trade players with Toronto getting another minor asset in return. Just another potential advantage to making a trade with Minny along these lines.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can pull a calderon for flynn I think you do it. Flynn may (is probably) NOT the starting PG we want 3 years from now, but we likely AREN'T getting that PG in this draft or FA anyway. At the worst this moves makes sense for cap reason that MAY allow us to sign a FA PG in the future or act as a stop gap until we draft one. I don't see Kemba as an upgrade over Flynn and if we keep the pick at 5 it looks less an less like Brandon Knight will be available. I don't see how this doesn't work out well for us.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

its what a dude on twitter said verbatim.
    Yes, I know. Alex Kennedy said:

As @TheRocketGuy mention in today's article, the Toronto Raptors are currently the frontrunner to acquire Jonny Flynn.
    So I looked up the article by TheRocketGuy AKA Bill Ingram, which I linked earlier but here it is again:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19999

Now that Ricky Rubio is going to officially join the Minnesota Timberwolves, it's time for Minnesota to make a couple of decisions. First of all, they have to go ahead and move Jonny Flynn, who they have been shopping for some time, and it's time to go ahead and move the second overall pick in this year's draft.

The Timberwolves have had a number of conversations with teams interested in Flynn, and more recently it seems he might wind up in Toronto. Flynn is a native of Niagara and Toronto is practically home for him. The Raptors have been looking to change up their point guard rotation and Flynn would be part of that solution.
    Unless there's yet another source I'm missing, Kennedy seems to be making nothing sound like more than nothing. It's just A) the Timberwolves are looking to move Flynn, and B) Toronto could be his destination because the Raptors are looking for a PG and Toronto is practically home to him. He doesn't cite a source, even as a lowly "source connected to the Timberwolves front office". I don't see how this makes Toronto a frontrunner aside from the fact that we are one of the few teams that need a PG badly.

Post Thanks / Like

Journalists would never do that!
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Journalists would never do that!
    You'll have to forgive me while I remain skeptical. =P

Twitter and the world of 140-character reporting is not exactly the pinnacle of accuracy. You getting us this news while taking a dump had a thousand times more credibility.

Raptors Republic Rookie northgrantballer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Having 2 top 5 picks could also be bait for a certain LA Clippers team?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    It's worth it no matter what else they get. Calderon is not the same guy he was three years ago and on top of that he's too old to be part of a rebuilding core. He needs to go. Johnny Flynn battled injuries last season and surprise, surprise his shooting numbers dropped because of it. Funny thing is though through it all he became or of a distributor. The kid has lots of promise. He's a TJ Ford type player, the kind of guard Colangelo likes to have in his high octane system. Him and Bayless would be alright as along as they bring in a decent vet PG for the bench as well. I'm up for adding young talent with lots of upside.
    his shooting numbers dropped what a whole 1%? Plus he racks up turnovers like Jose does assists.......

.... if this stomach turning trade goes down I'll give the guy a chance (well not like I have a choice in the matter), but man this seems like an incredible waste of year at PG.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Trading for Flynn makes sense because it would make Bargnani look marginally better when BC is unable to deal him.....

all jokes aside... you are right on the money.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information