Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Frank Front-Runner For Head Coach Job?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Marc Stein: In addition to Boston's Lawrence Frank, NBA coaching sources confirm Raptors will request permission to interview Mavs assistant Dwane Casey. Twitter
    Casey never got a shot after Minnesota. He was fired when they were .500 and the team has never sniffed mediocrity since.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote AJM wrote: View Post
    Byron Scott led Cavs to a 26 losing streak, does that mean he is not a good coach?! He just didn't have enough talent in that roster. So just because Nets sucked two years ago it doesn't mean Frank Lawrence is not a decent coach.
    Great point about Byron Scott. I always point to Doc Rivers. He was "crap" before getting KG and Ray Allen.

And his name is Lawrence Frank .. not Frank Lawrence.

I'm not all that interested in Dwane Casey. I think there are far better candidates available that should be hired over him.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't even thought about Mo Cheeks....kinda like that idea. A lot.

My only issue with Frank is he'll get he team going and he'll shore up the D but the team will eventually tune him out and the Raps will pay him to sit at home (a raptors tradition). I think someone already mentioned the Scott Skiles effect.

Raptors Republic Rookie BayCityBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Franks was a media darling when he showed up w/ the Nets. He was young, bright and had the attention of his team. He was brought in as the interim head coach and the players unanimously wanted him as a FT head coach. Some transactions occured that didn't endear the Nets brass to Kidd and he tuned out. As far as I can find, it wasn't LF that was tuned out. When that team started 0-16 prior to his removal as HC, he had the talent level of an 0-16 team. His experience working with the Celts should prove to be invaluable and the changes he made to the defense weren't the cause of their demise, the lack of a healthy, quality centre, Rondo's disappearance and the aging of their key players was.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

adelman or bust IMO.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Casey never got a shot after Minnesota. He was fired when they were .500 and the team has never sniffed mediocrity since.
    And I forgot he had head-coached. I would be happy with Casey as well.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20018

a rundown on some candidates (Frank Woodson Adelman)

The Raptors own P.J. Carlesimo has head coaching experience, but he has already been eliminated from the search by Colangelo.
    Last edited by jbml; Sat Jun 4th, 2011 at 09:04 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian Shaw, Mark Jackson, or Mike Woodsen are better than Frank IMO.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BC I think is more likely to go after Adelman than Frank. Frank has always been tough with his players (which I prefer). Houston's defense last year was 22nd. Adelman has never been known to prefer defense over offense. I prefer Frank.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    Brian Shaw, Mark Jackson, or Mike Woodsen are better than Frank IMO.
    How can you say Brian Shaw and Mark Jackson are better than Frank when neither of them has HC experience? Jackson hasn't even coached...
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    BC I think is more likely to go after Adelman than Frank. Frank has always been tough with his players (which I prefer). Houston's defense last year was 22nd. Adelman has never been known to prefer defense over offense. I prefer Frank.
    Gotta look a bit farther than that (full seasons only, def. rating and league rank):

Frank
    04-05: 103.1 (7th)
    05-06: 102.4 (4th)
    06-07: 106.6 (15th)
    07-08: 109.4 (21st)
    08-09: 111.0 (24th)

Adelman

Sacremento
    99-00: 102.1 (10th)
    00-01: 99.6 (7th)
    01-02: 101.1 (6th)
    02-03: 99.1 (2nd)
    03-04: 104.9 (21st)
    04-05: 108.2 (23rd)
    05-06: 105.0 (12th)

Houston
    07-08: 101.6 (2nd)
    08-09: 104.0 (4th)
    09-10: 108.0 (17th)
    10-11: 109.0 (19th)

I'd imagine the players (or lack thereof) are as much to blame as anything.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the perfect coach at this stage would have been Paul Silas. Too bad Colangelo takes so darn long to make a move on his coaches. Jay shouldn't have made it to this last season. When Bosh left that was the perfect time to say goodbye.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Too bad Colangelo takes so darn long to make a move on his coaches. Jay shouldn't have made it to this last season. When Bosh left that was the perfect time to say goodbye.
    Well thats what happens when you got a soft GM and HC.
    Last edited by e2thed; Sat Jun 4th, 2011 at 03:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

At least this takes one name of the rumour rotary list:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20025

Italian Coach Ettore Messina has agreed to work for the L.A. Lakers on Coach Mike Brown's staff.

According to Zeno Pisani of Rivista Ufficiale NBA, Italy, a deal was agreed to on Friday. Pisani notes Messina will serve as "consultant to the head coach" in a full-time position.

Messina is one of the most well-respected coaches internationally. He's long-wanted to break into the NBA, ideally as a head coach. He was in discussions with the Toronto Raptors before they went with Jay Triano.

Although the Raptors job has opened back up, it appears Ettore's first position in the NBA will be with the Lakers.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hmmm

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    At least this takes one name of the rumour rotary list:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20025
    Perhaps this is a precursor to the Raps trading Bargnani to the Lakers for Gasol
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Perhaps this is a precursor to the Raps trading Bargnani to the Lakers for Gasol
    Or Odom. Stick Odom at the 3. Doesn't help long term though but it certainly adds a veteran with championship experience who can still contribute.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information