Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Triano out.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jay Triano out.

Toronto Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo announced Wednesday the club will not exercise its option on head coach Jay Triano for the 2011-12 season. Triano will be retained as a consultant to the basketball team as a special assistant to the president and general manager.

The search for a new head coach will commence immediately. There is no definitive timetable for the completion of the search process.

“I have great respect for Jay Triano both as a person and as a basketball mind,” said Colangelo. “Jay deserves tremendous credit for developing our young players this past season and our most recent win-loss record does not appropriately reflect his many positive contributions to this organization.

“This was a difficult decision to make, but after almost three full seasons of observation and evaluation I believe that bringing in a new voice as head coach will accelerate the progress we are looking to make in the coming years.

“I am very pleased that Jay has agreed to stay on and help see through the plan that we have designed and initiated together.”

“I am grateful to the organization for the opportunity to be a head coach in the NBA,” said Triano. “I am proud of the work that I and the coaching staff have done with our young players and feel confident we have laid the foundation for a team that will continue to improve. I look forward in assisting Bryan to deliver a championship team to Toronto.”

Triano was promoted to head coach and signed to a three-year contract May 11, 2009. He finished with an 87-142 record (.380).

Triano served as an assistant to three coaches before being named interim head coach December 3, 2008 following the dismissal of Sam Mitchell.

A native of Niagara Falls, Canada, Triano became the first Canadian born and Canadian trained coach in the NBA when he joined Lenny Wilkens’ staff for the 2002-03 season.
    http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7735

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...triano-7023866

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/2011...ion-jay-triano

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

He's smart, the players like him and are responding to him. There is no reason to switch. All this is going to do is delay the rebuild.

-----------------------------

Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Fri Jun 3rd, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really interested as to who will replace Jay. Maybe Colangelo will break his habit and hire a coach who's established. Maybe a defensive minded coach (not necessarily Van Gundy.. maybe Mike Woodson?)

Post Thanks / Like

rick adelman?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

hallelujah

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil Jackson.

Michael Jordan -> Kobe Bryant -> DeMar DeRozan

History in the making.

---

On a more serious note, Adelman would be a dream.

Raptors Republic Starter bloodyhandedgod's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is damn fine news. El yay.
    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

...Is...is that a sparkle of hope I see? I must be seeing things.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very pleased that Jay has agreed to stay on and help see through the plan that we have designed and initiated together.
    I find that very interesting. So will Jay now be an assistant? Either way, this can only be good. We don't lose Jay's x's and o's and keeping him around will also likely help some of the young players develop. We can now also get an established defense first head coach. Stan Van Gundy maybe? Adelman would be great too.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I find that very interesting. So will Jay now be an assistant? Either way, this can only be good. We don't lose Jay's x's and o's and keeping him around will also likely help some of the young players develop. We can now also get an established defense first head coach. Stan Van Gundy maybe? Adelman would be great too.
    I don't think he meant assistant coach. More like assistant to the regional manager, err, general manager.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    I don't think he meant assistant coach. More like assistant to the regional manager, err, general manager.
    I just read that...maybe in two years Jay will become the first Canadian to be an NBA GM and head coach lol.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Rookie BayCityBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am indifferent until I see his successor. If it's PJ, I don't see an improvement. If it's JVG or Adelman, then we have to see some hope. This team has to go from a team with promise to a group of overachievers. There is decent, but not overwhelming skill on this squad. Colangelo continues to make moves, let's see what he comes up with through FA, draft and this coaching search. The summer just got far more interesting.

Raptors Republic Starter knickz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

not shocked because i knew wit would happen and he would still be apart of the organization...very happy with this move nw
    "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Raptors Republic Rookie HuskyRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ettore messina or Rick adelman please

Raptors Republic Starter knickz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote HuskyRaptor wrote: View Post
    ettore messina or Rick adelman please
    we dont need a euro coach
    "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BC better have somebody lined up and that somebody better be a baller. JVG or Aldelman would be sweet. Maybe even try to coax Sloan out of retirement? anyway it better be big! NO to PJ!
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

This should have happened a month ago. MLSE has held everything up.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, now we don't have to see a coach who rewards bad defense with playing time, hopefully.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    hallelujah

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Colangelo: Assistant coach PJ Carlesimo will not be considered a candidate for the head coaching position.
    19 minutes ago via TweetDeck
    http://twitter.com/raptors/status/76051678662623232

WOOOO!
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Wed Jun 1st, 2011 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the players in NYC aren't happy with Mike. Don't be surprised if he leaves. I wouldn't be surprised if Colangelo requested the right to talk with him.

Thread Information