Colangelo Set Up The Finals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo Set Up The Finals?

By February of 2009, Riley was already focused on the Summer of 2010. He knew there weren’t any realistic free agent targets for the Heat with only the mid-level exception to play with. The Celtics were the defending champions and he wasn’t going to make his team a contender with just the MLE to play with.

So Riley dangled Marion’s expiring contract in front of Colangelo with the caveat that he take the remainder of Banks’ horrible deal. Toronto wouldn’t be able to get completely out from Jermaine O’Neal’s contract but they’d free up a lot of cap space, even with another season-and-a-half owed to Banks.

Here’s what I wrote a week prior to the trade when it became clear that the Raptors were intent on moving O’Neal:

“The problem with trading O’Neal is that the Raptors don’t want to trade him in a way that would do another team a favor by handing them a huge expiring contract that will give them the cap space to steal Bosh away from them.”

And that’s exactly what they did.

Had Riley not found a taker for Banks by the 2010 trade deadline then there’s no way he’d have been able to both re-sign Dwyane Wade and sign LeBron James and Bosh.
    In fairness to Colangelo, he was able to make some off-season moves before the 2009-10 season to try and impress Bosh. His big move was obtaining Hedo Turkoglu, Devean George, and Antoine Wright in a 4-team trade with the Grizzlies, Magic, and Mavericks. Who was the primary player he sent to the Mavs?

That’s right. Shawn Marion.
    Source: SirCharlesInCharge.com

Sort of a hit piece.

That's why MLSE sign him for two more years - so that he can set up the next two finals somewhere down the line. I really dislike this direction. I mean, he re-signed for two years, then sort of hinting at getting another GM and sort of firing Triano but keeping him around. This whole thing is a farce.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Here is the problem with that article
      1) I believe the heat would have been better if they were no "obligated" to use up so much cap space on bosh - all u needed was Dwade Bron and a couple of decent bigs.
      2) bosh was gone anyway
      3) Shawn marion is hardly the determining factor of Dallas success - You could also make the argument that Dirk Chandler the Jet and kid + 50% of the swing men in the league were still going to the finals.
      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
        1) I believe the heat would have been better if they were no "obligated" to use up so much cap space on bosh - all u needed was Dwade Bron and a couple of decent bigs.
        2) bosh was gone anyway
        3) Shawn marion is hardly the determining factor of Dallas success - You could also make the argument that Dirk Chandler the Jet and kid + 50% of the swing men in the league were still going to the finals.
        1) I agree but Barkley also mentions "Does James sign with the Heat if Bosh doesn’t come with him? Even with all of the other players on the current Heat roster, are they a more attractive destination than the Bulls or even the Clippers were last summer with just Haslem at power forward?"

2) yes.. but this more or less meant to an eastern conference team... and less opportunity in a sign and trade as they could do the contract without having to work something out. NY took Amare, Chicago Boozer... which would have left Bosh out in the cold, and Colangelo with more options if Bosh still wanted out of T.O. and on a good team.

3)maybe, maybe not. But definetely not as important as the cap space opened for Miami.

(Ofcourse this all assumes that the big 2.5 didn't have a plan to play together)

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
          2) bosh was gone anyway
          Two more problems with the article:
          4) Not trading O'Neal for Marion doesn't mean Miami will purposely go out and sign someone to more than a one-year contract, if at all. That logic didn't fly then and it still doesn't fly now. Had we not done the trade, I have full faith that Miami would simply have gone cheap on the team that last year.
          5) Okay, but what about Banks? How hard would it have been to trade Banks' two remaining years + $3 mil cash + a draft pick for some team's expiring contract? Not very.

Okay, so we did help them out a little bit. We probably saved them cash, another undesirable late 1st round pick, and perhaps even a better record that year, but I guess that's nowhere near as sexy-sounding or damning as the alternative.

Comment

The Heat are where the are despite of Bosh. That money could've been more wisely spent on their wings, I'll go as far as saying that if the Heat don't win the title, Bosh gets traded.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
              The Heat are where the are despite of Bosh. That money could've been more wisely spent on their wings, I'll go as far as saying that if the Heat don't win the title, Bosh gets traded.
              Bold statement Arse.
              He was the 3rd spark when Wade and James were off.
              Provide okay defense [skip the last play night ]

When James/Wade took nights off, Bosh stepped up. I hate that prick, but I'm not going to deny his ability to occasionally carry the team.
              Entourage: Harvey - "E (BC) was right, there's genius in this (Bargnani)"
              Ari - "You wanna buy it?"
              Harvey - "I do, for a dollar"

Comment

I am not a follower of Bosh or never was as he was a me first player in my eyes, but he did pull through when both Wade and James were playing bad in the Bulls series. So in fact, he did help them get to the finals.

Comment

Getting Bosh Bron and Wade together in south beach was a long term plan and I don't see not winning the whole thing on the first go 'round as an impetus to trading Bosh. If they lose this year AND don't win next year then yes, bosh is the odd man out.

ADD: I'm not really factoring in any backlash from the new CBA. Financial considerations could possibly lead to a bosh trade as early as next year, but I STILL doubt it.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Bosh has pulled his weight this playoff series, especially when Wade wasn't playing well. If Bosh hadn't had the performance that he had against the Bulls the Heat wouldn't of even been in the finals. On top of that, Bosh had plenty of games before that series. I hate how everyone just ignore the fact that being the #3 option alone will make it hard to be same player, then on top of that he's the #3 option AFTER Lebron and Wade who both have extreme usage. It's extremely hard to be consistent being a #3 option already then add the fact he's playing behind Lebron and Wade and it's pretty easy to see why he doesn't show up game in and game out.

Comment

this is absurd
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

also i agree that bosh is gone next season.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

One can only hope it's that it's to the Bobcats or Pistons.

Comment

i read that as "That money could've been more wisely spent on chicken wings"........... and i agreed.

Comment

Who saw bosh get completely blown by by none other than Dirk Nowitzki for the game winner last night?
                              I couldn't stop smiling at his failure
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Working...
                              X