" Minnesota is reportedly looking for a “veteran big man” for #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " Minnesota is reportedly looking for a “veteran big man” for #2

Minnesota is reportedly looking for a “veteran big man” in a potential trade of the #2 pick
    ( http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...p-for-williams )

The article refers to Phoenix and Washington actively wanting to trade up into the #2 pick to get Williams, but do not have a vet big the Wolves want. Who could they conceivably get?

Kaman: Maybe. LAC traded away their pick and looking to remain mostly intact (including THEY SAY Kaman) and add a vet SF (rumours today have Tayshaun Prince potentially going to LAC).
    Camby: Minny wants experience, not old. Don't see this happening.
    Bynum/Gasol/Odom?: Highly doubt this move, it would be a shock and a half considering what the Lakers brass has been saying, although they seem to pull things out of their a$$ with no leak (Mike Brown). Gasol would be interesting with Rubio and potentially Calderon in Minny. There would need to be a lot going back though for salaries.
    Horford: I can't see Atlanta trading him for another tweener on their team.
    Varajao: I'd have a cow if Cleveland had #1, #2 and #4 in the draft.
    BHaywood: Dallas could score a coup here for a replacement for CButler or future replacement for SMarion.
    Bogut: Only if the Bucks then want to take Kanter otherwise they will have a huge hole. Don't see this happening.
    BLopez: I don't see it as likely, but King will call as pairing DWilliams with...DWilliams would be interesting for them. Maybe not so unlikely if they throw in cash and a future pick?
    Okafor: Possible. Would a league run team make such a bold move? Would it raise hell around the league?
    Perkins: I don't see it.OKC just signed him and why would they add another tweener?
    Denver, Detroit, Houston, Indiana, New York, and Philly don't seem to have anything to fit the bill. Orlando sure as hell won't trade Howard to Minny. Utah just got Jefferson from Minny, that's out.
    Bargnani?: one can hope. If we can trade him for the #2 pick without giving up our #5 booyah. I can't see passing on the opportunity to have Kanter/Knight or Williams/Kanter etc.

I see Dallas with the best shot, LAL with the best pieces and easily happens IF the Lakers want it they have it, outside chance to Raps, LAC and Cleveland. NOH for the conspiracy theorists.

Ha sorry forgot about Miami, I guess Bosh. Haslem no way since he is the reason they are playing as well as they are and Riley knows it.

Comment

Sorry Maleko, it's more of an NBA thing than Toronto thing, so I moved it here.

Dallas does have a good shot at acquiring the pick and could probably select Kanter at 2, should they dangle Haywood and something else. I do think that the Wolves want someone a bit younger though. The Lakers are a very interesting option. Very interesting. Does the Buss family want to move Bynum though?

Comment

Based on the players who could be available at #2 this year (Irving or Williams), most of the players that you have noted would be overpaying. Neither are guarantees and you have noted a number of top centres. Minny would be pulling a coup to grab most any of them. Haywood, Okafor and Bargs are the most likely opportunities, but Haywood and Okafor aren't that good. I'll go out on a limb here and say that Bargs may be their best bet and David Kahn might be just dumb enough to take him off our hands.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
          Sorry Maleko, it's more of an NBA thing than Toronto thing, so I moved it here.

Dallas does have a good shot at acquiring the pick and could probably select Kanter at 2, should they dangle Haywood and something else. I do think that the Wolves want someone a bit younger though. The Lakers are a very interesting option. Very interesting. Does the Buss family want to move Bynum though?
          No worries on the move. I wonder if it is possible to put notes on the moved threads since I have encountered before searching for a moved one (not my own in those cases).

As for Bynum, I highly doubt it, especially since Jim Buss is more influential now and Bynum is his find. Gasol would be more interesting though, and both Kanter and Williams would be interesting in their fold. Odom would be interesting as well. Minny would have to send a lot back as well for Gasol though, like a LOT. But the Lakers need a PG, a backup C/PF (Ridnour and Pekovic/Milicic). It would be overpaying as baycity mentioned, but if the Lakers want a change, it may happen.

Imagine though if Minny gets Gasol, Calderon (for Flynn & #20?), and perhaps FGarcia (out of SAC) to go with Rubio. They would be speaking spanish on the floor and KLove would get so confused!

Comment

If we can steal the pick with Bargnani, and another solid piece (see: http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...um-be-Acquired ) for my thoughts on that idea, then I would be very happy.

Comment

I think if they're moving the #2 for a vet big man they mean one who isn't past his prime. Like a guy who's been in the league for five or six years. Some names that come to mind:
              • Josh Smith
              • Bogut
              • Al Jefferson
              • Nene
              • Bargnani
              • Bosh
              • Noah

Comment

Ok, let's go for the highly doubted move, and they go hard after Pau Gasol for the #2 (and look to of course get Calderon in a separate trade as the vet friend/mentor to Rubio). Lakers may make Gasol available after the playoffs showing, since Bynum is repeatedly reported as off limits (no similar reports on Gasol - conspicuous in absence or just too far-fetched to trade?). Since Minny is also making Beasley available, albeit since they would draft DWilliams but roll with it:

MIN: PGasol, 2-3? 2nd rounders?
                LAL: #2 (DWilliams), DMilicic, MBeasley, ATolliver, LRidnour

MIN:
                PG: RRubio, JCalderon* (potentially), JFlynn*
                SG: WEllington, ...
                SF: WJohnson, MWebster*, LHayward
                PF: KLove, ARandolph
                C: PGasol, NPekovic
                and the #20 pick and any 2nd rounders they get from LA.

*minus whatever goes for Calderon, further trade bait for future moves as rumoured with Flynn. I would say flip Webster or Flynn and a 2nd to SAC for Francisco Garcia and complete the 'spanish armada' (yes I know Garcia is dominican) with Rubio, Gasol, Calderon and Garcia. They do need a SG...
                Minny gets veteran presence and leadership, familiar faces for Rubio to keep him happy, provide reasons a-plenty for KLove to stay, certainly change their team culture (ridding of Beasley). They won't be very strong D-wise, but they will score.

LAL:
                PG: LRidnour, SBlake, DFisher
                SG: KBryant, SBrown
                SF: DWilliams, RArtest**, MBarnes, LWalton
                PF: LOdom, MBeasley, DCaracter
                C: ABynum, DMilicic, ATolliver.

**Artest is a prime candidate in this scenario to move to a team that needs a def. SF (LAC (looking for one), SAC (reunion?), HOU, ORL, TOR (please no), DET, ideally to get a proper PG, future options, or just free a roster space.

Lakers are in definite need of a proper starting PG longer term, will soon need to look at Kobe's successor at SG, DWilliams could be the future at SF, either Beasley grows up and takes over from Odom in a couple of yrs, or expires next year, and finally the backup depth to Bynum is solved without the guy being 40.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                  Ok, let's go for the highly doubted move, and they go hard after Pau Gasol for the #2 (and look to of course get Calderon in a separate trade as the vet friend/mentor to Rubio). Lakers may make Gasol available after the playoffs showing, since Bynum is repeatedly reported as off limits (no similar reports on Gasol - conspicuous in absence or just too far-fetched to trade?). Since Minny is also making Beasley available, albeit since they would draft DWilliams but roll with it:.
                  MIN: PGasol, 2-3? 2nd rounders?, #22
                  LAL: #2 (DWilliams), RFelton, JFlynn, TMosgov, MWebster
                  DEN: MBeasley, RArtest, ATolliver, SBlake

MIN:
                  PG: RRubio, JCalderon*
                  SG: WEllington, ... (Draft Brooks/Selby/?)
                  SF: WJohnson, LHayward
                  PF: KLove, ARandolph
                  C: PGasol, DMilicic
                  and the #20 & 22 picks and any 2nd rounders they get from LA. Salary around $46M excl. 2nd rnd picks.

*saying a Calderon for Pekovic & Ridnour.

Minny gets veteran presence and leadership, familiar faces for Rubio to keep him happy, provide reasons a-plenty for KLove to stay, certainly change their team culture (ridding of Beasley). They won't be very strong D-wise, but they will score.

DEN
                  PG: TLawson, SBlake
                  SG: AAfflalo (re-sign)
                  SF: DGalinari, RArtest
                  PF: MBeasley, AHarrington, ATolliver
                  C: Nene, CAndersen, KKoufos
                  Also a 2nd round pick salary is about $50.5M (incl. Afflalo) and need another SG. They also have around $20M in trade exceptions to fill that hole.

Denver gets a backup PG, PF help, a strong defender in Artest who would fit with Karl's style imo.

LAL:
                  PG: RFelton, JFlynn, DFisher
                  SG: KBryant, SBrown
                  SF: DWilliams, MBarnes, MWebster, LWalton
                  PF: LOdom, , DCaracter
                  C: ABynum, TMosgov.

Their salary would actually drop over $10M in this scenario.

Lakers are in definite need of a proper starting PG longer term, and I am getting a feeling Felton might head there, and finally the backup depth to Bynum is solved without the guy being 40. There is an issue at PF which needs to be addressed (would have 2 TPEs at $5.5M and $6.3M) and a 2nd round pick.

Comment

Working...
                  X