Could Batum be Acquired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Batum be Acquired?

Nevertheless this season's developments have made Batum more trade-able than he was for the last two years. The answer isn't an automatic "no" anymore.
    ( http://www.blazersedge.com/2011/6/2/...-nicolas-batum )

The Blazers don't look as dimly on Batum's season or place as the folks in the general public who would like to trade him. He's young, he's cheap, he defends, the Blazers are rightfully wary of injuries and concerned about depth, and at certain moments the guy looks transcendent...every bit as good as some stars in this league
    Ok so Batum may not be as untouchable as in the past. If Portland is targeting Kemba Walker as stated in the Tribune: http://portlandtribune.com/sports/st...06967830991500
    According to a league source, Portland would like to get into the top seven to be in position to take Connecticut point guard Kemba Walker. That might mean packaging veteran point guard Andre Miller and the No. 21 pick for another team’s player along with a top-seven pick

Teams in the top 7 with picks where Kemba might be picked: Toronto, Washington, Sacramento. It would take trading a lot more to get 1-3 and no use since Kemba would be available beyond those 3 picks in all likelihood.

I know we have bandied around a few trades for Batum, but now it seems there is a new window into Portland's soul, and a new GM who may want to put his own stamp on the team. They need backup bigs, (have excess wings) they want a top 7 pick for Walker as stated above. Minny wants an experienced big for their #2 (options here: http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...n”-for-2 ) and a vet PG to mentor Rubio, SAC is in need of a true PG to shift TEvans to the off guard and more 3-4 depth:

POR: #7 pick (KWalker), JThompson, DMilicic
    MIN: JCalderon, FGarcia, ABargnani, #5 pick (who knows with Kahn - Valenciunas? or Burks if they take the #7) (The spanish armada - with Rubio - with an Italian spy)
    SAC: AMiller, MWebster, MBeasley, #21 pick
    TOR: #2 pick (EKanter), NBatum, JFlynn, #20 pick (DMorris/Marshon Brooks) <=perhaps pick DWilliams and flip with Utah for EKanter and CJ Miles or with Cleveland for EKanter and ?.

Portland gets the backup bigs they need, a top 7 pick to get KWalker (per the rumours), trading out who they have made available (Miller) and from a position of strength (Batum). Minny gets the experienced big they want for their pick, a friend and mentor to Rubio, a SG (they don't really have one), a slightly later pick (be it 5 or 7) and experience for players they are shopping or disappointed in. SAC gains a solid PG, a young-ish 3pt shooting SF, a later 1st rounder and a potential strong player (Beasley) for bench players and a pick they have been shopping. Toronto gets a talented, pseudo-experienced SF, a backup point and a pick to get Kanter.

I would also follow up with a Bayless or Flynn, Alabi and Barbosa to Denver for Felton and hopefully Mosgov??

PG: Felton, Flynn/Bayless
    SG: DDerozan, MBrooks (CJ Miles?)
    SF: NBatum, JJ, LKleiza
    PF: ED, Amir
    C: Kanter, TMosgov, (Magloire?)
    Salary ~ $39M allowing to go for a more experienced backup SG (KAzuibike, DCook, CJ Miles) and bench big (JMagloire, JDorsey, etc.).
    Great D with Felton, Batum and ED, with development and potential from DD and Kanter, scoring potential from DD, Felton, Batum and Kanter (Brooks) and a strong bench.
    Last edited by Maleko; Fri Jun 3, 2011, 02:25 PM. Reason: readability

Comment

I'd like that idea, but I've been a fan of Batum from the beginning. I think Batum is probably better than anyone we could acquire at 5, and he's a good fit for the Raptors. Maybe a lower ceiling than some of the guys who would be available, but a much higher floor. He's got good defense and is a decent 3-point shooter, something that would compliment DeRozan's weaknesses. The two of them would make a fantastic wing tandem for as long as we could keep them together.

If it's a deal like Batum + Miller + #21 pick for Calderon + #5, I'd probably do it, but not sure if Portland would. It depends on how badly they want Walker. Miller is a big contract, but it expires after 2011-12, so the Raptors would still need to make moves to secure the long-term future of the PG spot.
      Bargnani is also an option, but it would be much tougher to find a way to make it work: if Miller was the other player coming back, that would leave us with nothing remotely close to a center, and $16 million tied up in aging PGs. Portland doesn't have a C they can trade us (unless they sign-and-trade Oden. Would anybody do Bargs + #5 for Batum, Oden, and #21?)
      We'd probably need another team to make it work.

edit:
      I like your four team trade a lot, Maleko, at least from a Raptors perspective.
      Last edited by octothorp; Fri Jun 3, 2011, 01:14 PM.

Comment

yeah, great trade. i'd do it in a heartbeat. big fan of batum.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
          I'd like that idea, but I've been a fan of Batum from the beginning. I think Batum is probably better than anyone we could acquire at 5, and he's a good fit for the Raptors. Maybe a lower ceiling than some of the guys who would be available, but a much higher floor. He's got good defense and is a decent 3-point shooter, something that would compliment DeRozan's weaknesses. The two of them would make a fantastic wing tandem for as long as we could keep them together.

If it's a deal like Batum + Miller + #21 pick for Calderon + #5, I'd probably do it, but not sure if Portland would. It depends on how badly they want Walker. Miller is a big contract, but it expires after 2011-12, so the Raptors would still need to make moves to secure the long-term future of the PG spot.
          Bargnani is also an option, but it would be much tougher to find a way to make it work: if Miller was the other player coming back, that would leave us with nothing remotely close to a center, and $16 million tied up in aging PGs. Portland doesn't have a C they can trade us (unless they sign-and-trade Oden. Would anybody do Bargs + #5 for Batum, Oden, and #21?)
          We'd probably need another team to make it work.

edit:
          I like your four team trade a lot, Maleko, at least from a Raptors perspective.
          i think Minnesota gets to little and Sacramento gets to much, maybe remove Beasley. But other than that i think all of the teams would do that.

Comment

droooooooooooooooooool.
            I say GM's should do fan polls for trades and have to do the winning trade every offseason. It would be so spectacular.
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

i dont think i would do #5 straight for Batum, only because you never know who will fall. Kanter or knight could be available at number 5, and i think both have a higher ceiling than Batum. Kanter if Cavs at 4 take jonas over Kanter and Knight if Min takes Enes at 2, leaving Derrick at 3 to Jazz.

But if we somehow get Oden as well i would do the trade. #5 + TPE for Batum + Oden. Id even consider giving up Ed davis for Batum and Oden.

Comment

dballa21 wrote: View Post
                i think Minnesota gets to little and Sacramento gets to much, maybe remove Beasley. But other than that i think all of the teams would do that.
                Only issue would be $ going in and out of Minny, so requires Beasley or perhaps Pekovic, UNLESS, and I do not know the answer to this, expiring salaries do not apply after the end of the finals (so draft day trades it applies to new salaries whereby Minny is more than able to absorb the difference and therefore keeps Beasley. I am not sure that is the case however, and they have expresed discontent with Beasley.

Comment

Working...
                X