Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Players Threw Jay Under The Bus During Exit Interviews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Players Threw Jay Under The Bus During Exit Interviews?

In an interview with Bob McCown two days ago Colangelo mentioned that while everyone respects Jay in the organization, some of the players in their exit interviews voiced displeasure... Or at least that was what was implied when Colangelo referred to exit interviews with the players in this interview. Colangelo never comes out and directly said the negatives, he always pussy foots around it enough so that you can put two and two together.

Colangelo went on to say that the players respected Jay and listened to Jay but the guy could not get them to execute and he never held them accountable.

Source: Fan 590

I think some of the players didn't respect him. One prime example of a lack of respect by some of the players and then a lack of accountability on Jay's behalf was Julian Wright. When the kid refused to sub in he should have collected dust for the rest of the season. That guy is lucky to be in the league and he goes and pulls something like that? And what does Jay do? Hardly anything.

We all saw his play calling and bizarre substitutions.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      In an interview with Bob McCown two days ago Colangelo mentioned that while everyone respects Jay in the organization, some of the players in their exit interviews voiced displeasure... Or at least that was what was implied when Colangelo referred to exit interviews with the players in this interview. Colangelo never comes out and directly said the negatives, he always pussy foots around it enough so that you can put two and two together.

Colangelo went on to say that the players respected Jay and listened to Jay but the guy could not get them to execute and he never held them accountable.

I think some of the players didn't respect him. One prime example of a lack of respect by some of the players and then a lack of accountability on Jay's behalf was Julian Wright. When the kid refused to sub in he should have collected dust for the rest of the season. That guy is lucky to be in the league and he goes and pulls something like that? And what does Jay do? Hardly anything.
      well the last guy got fired for holding certain people accountable, so maybe Jay was afraid to go too far?

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
        well the last guy got fired for holding certain people accountable, so maybe Jay was afraid to go too far?
        Exactly. He was hired to be a loyal company man to Colangelo and indulge the latter's Bargnani fetish until it ran dry. I'm sure that's what the ball players complained about. Now that Colangelo clearly sees Bargnani for what he is, Triano is expendable. But that's life an an NBA coach.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          Like that one play he drew up against New Jersey in London where Bargnani took the final shot.

Hold...hold...hold...still holding...shoot...rattle...miss...next overtime...fail.

Regarding players respect, there was that Julian Wright incident for sure.

Then there was that time back in 2009 where former Raptors Antoine Wright and Jarrett Jack called out Jay Triano for lack of accountability in this article

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

O.K., couple of things: JuJu is NOT lucky to be in the league. Everything he gets is through sheer hard work. While possessing a jump shot so hideously egregious that it makes Shawn Marion's look like Dell Curry's, he facilitates the offence extremely well through the 3-spot, passes beautifully, finishes well at the rim and never demands shots. On the offensive end, I can live with someone like that as long as he is a lockdown defender at the other end. THIS GUY SHOULD HAVE BEEN STARTING, and I'll tell you one thing: had he been starting instead of the collection of stiffs (Kleiza, Weems, the guy on the 10-day contract, and even, to a way lesser extent, JJ, we would have won some more games. But even though he has all the skills, effort and defence Triano SAID he put a premium on, he languished on the bench. Why? Was Triano taking orders from Brian to play Kleiza and Weems, the former because he was a prized (!!!) off-season acquisition, the latter because the org wanted to see if he should be re-upped next year? For all the blather from Triano about how this team didn't need more offence, it's defence it needs, it just doesn't make sense. Now, what JuJu did by refusing to sub in was pure bush league, you'll get no argument from me on that. But you can sure as hell empathize with his sense of bewilderment and frustration.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              Yes, we all saw his play calling. And time after time after time coming out of a timeout or other play stoppage, here's what we saw: way more often than not, Jay drew up a play that afforded his team an excellent chance to score. In fact, that was his finest quality as a coach. And let's not kid ourselves here: look at the players he had! It's tough drawing up plays for a team whose go-to guy is Bargnani. And yet he still did an admirable job. Bizarre substitutions? You'll have to back that up with some proof, my friend. Remember, this is a bizarrely constructed team to begin with.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                Definite possibility. The last time a Raptor coach told his GM to fuck off and ran the team the way he saw fit was during the inaugural season. The guy never coached another game in his life. That kind of stuff gets around, and GMs don't like inexperienced coaches to embarrass them. The only coaches who can get away with that are your Phil Jacksons, etc. So it's a real Catch 22: to become an effective coach in this league, you've got to stay true to your convictions and not be afraid of ruffling feathers. But if you do that, they'll can your ass.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                  Exactly. He was hired to be a loyal company man to Colangelo and indulge the latter's Bargnani fetish until it ran dry. I'm sure that's what the ball players complained about. Now that Colangelo clearly sees Bargnani for what he is, Triano is expendable. But that's life an an NBA coach.
                  Couldn't have said it better myself. This is it in a nutshell.

Comment

I remember BC saying (just after the JW incident) and I paraphrase...that it was a matter that was handled internally and everything was fine yada yada. I took that to mean he was fully on board with how it was handled. In my view it came across that BC may well have made that descision not to fine/suspend JW more so than Triano. The accountability issue is probably more likely to be the Bargnani non-defense or lack of playing time for JW earlier in the season

Comment

Julian wright is terrible....enough said

Comment

The minute Jay took over Kapono was handed more minutes. It just amazed me that time allotted correlated so nicely to what Bryan considered his major acquisitions, rather than performance in practice or on court.

I could not even swallow, after seeing Kleiza subbed in. Now I am hearing he was majorly injured... how the hell did Jay not see this? Why did he continue playing him? Meanwhile, fans like me were seeing it all fall apart and cursing.

All of the substitutions, and time allotment smelt of a coach that was Bryan's proxy. I can understand players frustrations in such an environment. Maybe it is why Jay was hired, because he was remarkably on the same page Bryan was on. However, in the end, it was the wrong page, and someone needed to change it.

(This is why a coach should implement his vision, not the GM's, because you never know when you are going to get another gig.)
                        Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sun Jun 5, 2011, 09:41 PM.

Comment

High-flyer

LeeZ wrote: View Post
                          O.K., couple of things: JuJu is NOT lucky to be in the league.
                          JuJu is lucky they ever let him touch a basketball, after this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTqVjbEFh_s

Comment

Working...
                          X