Ettore Messina out of Raptors Head Coach Running, Goes to Lakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ettore Messina out of Raptors Head Coach Running, Goes to Lakers

Signed on as a consultant to the Lakers. They obviously don't trust Mike Brown to do the thinking.

http://www.ballineurope.com/european...nsultant-2955/

Thank God. Time to hire Adelman or Van Gundy.

Thank god. I guess LA becomes a trade partner with the Raps. He likes a certain someone on our roster
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Bargs for Bynum, gogo.

Comment

the best news i have heard all year...don't want a euro coach
        "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
          No offence, man, but this is truly one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. Yes, you're right, Euro coaches have done miserably in the NBA. Lemmesee, how many have been head coaches in the NBA? Well, there was...um, and oh yeah, there was...oh and don't forget what's his name...um, er, a big fat ZERO Euro coaches have coached here, you numbskull! and what has Messina done in Europe? Amassed an amazing record coaching some of the best teams Europe has ever had to offer, and all the while accumulating universal praise as an expert tactician and motivator. Yeah, I can see how you wouldn't want a Euro coach.

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
            No offence, man, but this is truly one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. Yes, you're right, Euro coaches have done miserably in the NBA. Lemmesee, how many have been head coaches in the NBA? Well, there was...um, and oh yeah, there was...oh and don't forget what's his name...um, er, a big fat ZERO Euro coaches have coached here, you numbskull! and what has Messina done in Europe? Amassed an amazing record coaching some of the best teams Europe has ever had to offer, and all the while accumulating universal praise as an expert tactician and motivator. Yeah, I can see how you wouldn't want a Euro coach.
            Ah, now you know how I feel. =)

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
              Actually, D'Antoni is a great advertisement for European-trained coaches. He has a pretty good track record both across the pond and in the NBA. He translated his style to the NBA and the Suns had some good runs at the NBA Finals and probably should have a title but for injuries, stupid NBA rules and the Spurs.

It is funny though that one of the best organizations in basketball seeks out a guy to be on their coaching staff as they try to win a championship, yet, the same guy is not good enough to coach the 22-60 Toronto Raptors. It's pretty funny how some fans around here think.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                It is funny though that one of the best organizations in basketball seeks out a guy to be on their coaching staff as they try to win a championship, yet, the same guy is not good enough to coach the 22-60 Toronto Raptors. It's pretty funny how some fans around here think.
                It shouldn't be a surprise. San Antonio's strategy of scouring the world for talent was good enough to make them title contenders for the last decade or so, but not for our Raptors. When in fact it should probably be "get better international scouts," we instead hear "no more Euros," even when the player isn't a "Euro". I don't think there's been a single year where the Spurs have had at least one draft pick and didn't draft at least one international player.

We've already let Bargnani play for our team for so many years, let's not make it worse by letting him also dictate our draft strategy.
                Last edited by Quixotic; Sun Jun 5, 2011, 11:05 PM.

Comment

hes a good coach i would want him coaching the raps , hows his english guys?
                  ya dun noe

Comment

Some randomness....BC made a comment earlier this week that has been bugging me, something about he doesn't want a coach that is going to slow the game down to the point where it's like watching grass grow. Basically his whole way of thinking is why we will never have a good defensive team in Toronto because the faster the pace of the game the higher the score (more possessions) and we all know good playoff teams play half court basketball and limit the amount of possessions In the game.

Anyway heard about this guy going to the lakers back when mike got named coach of the lakers. This gives him the opportunity to build a NBA resume.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                      Some randomness....BC made a comment earlier this week that has been bugging me, something about he doesn't want a coach that is going to slow the game down to the point where it's like watching grass grow. Basically his whole way of thinking is why we will never have a good defensive team in Toronto because the faster the pace of the game the higher the score (more possessions) and we all know good playoff teams play half court basketball and limit the amount of possessions In the game.

Anyway heard about this guy going to the lakers back when mike got named coach of the lakers. This gives him the opportunity to build a NBA resume.
                      If you mean because of the higher pace it's harder to set up on D, then sure, but if you're just talking about higher score due to more possessions, you should be looking at points against per possession (which is independent of pace) as a measure of a team's defense.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                        It shouldn't be a surprise. San Antonio's strategy of scouring the world for talent was good enough to make them title contenders for the last decade or so, but not for our Raptors.
                        It was part of the reason I was actually excited when they brought Gherardini in. It seemed like it was going to pay off when they landed both Parker and Garbo that first season but, since then, we've seen nothing tangible.

Thing is, it isn't like you have to bring in all foreign-trained players but if you find one guy every couple years to slot into the rotation it takes pressure off the draft, frees up cash for veteran free agents, and adds depth cheaply. If you hit a home run (Ginobli, etc.) that's icing on the cake.

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
                          What does it matter where he's from as long as he can coach? That's a pretty ignorant statement. Have you read up on his accomplishments? Have you taken a look at his record when it comes to coaching?

Comment

What if knickz had said "the best news i have heard all year...don't want a euro ESL coach"? I think it aptly applies. Why would we want a coach who's first language isn't english?
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              What if knickz had said "the best news i have heard all year...don't want a euro ESL coach"? I think it aptly applies. Why would we want a coach who's first language isn't english?
                              It's still a very ignorant statement and he's been warned on multiple occasions in regards to posts similar to the one he has made in this thread.

Messina's teams in which he has coached had players from all over the globe, so I'm sure most of the communication to the players was done in English.

Comment

Working...
                              X