No announcement yet.

The PG Conundrum & Other NBA Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's more like OKC only real scoring options being Westbrook, Durant (who struggles to break free from his opponent and get open) and Harden is coming back to haunt them.

But anyways, I'd rather take a chance on Bayless than to draft Knight or Walker, but if either of them establishes himself as the BPA then we should take him.
    GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    if Jose did everything he does now and scored 5+ more points a game he'd be viewed as a steal for his contract, and his D would rarely be mentioned. If Demar scored 5 less points a game he'd be useless and people would want him off the team.
    Dude...I don't even
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Calderon has not gotten more respect from Raptor fans. He's been far better than many have given him credit for.
    Defense and inability to get into the paint. That stretch after TJ got hurt he was severely overrated too...That said, I wouldn't mind keeping Calderon at this point, as long as we don't continue to overplay him/relegated back to coming off the bench.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
      It's more like OKC only real scoring options being Westbrook, Durant (who struggles to break free from his opponent and get open) and Harden is coming back to haunt them.

But anyways, I'd rather take a chance on Bayless than to draft Knight or Walker, but if either of them establishes himself as the BPA then we should take him.

Dude...I don't even

Defense and inability to get into the paint. That stretch after TJ got hurt he was severely overrated too...That said, I wouldn't mind keeping Calderon at this point, as long as we don't continue to overplay him/relegated back to coming off the bench.
      Oklahoma doesn't have much less scoring than Dallas. Or Miami, for that matter. The difference is that Miami and Dallas have guys who can make their teammates better. Oklahoma doesn't. Westbrook is a great scoring guard, but his lack of true PG abilities ended up hurting Oklahoma because he couldn't get his teammates good enough scoring opportunities.

And Jose is a much better PG than you're giving him credit for. There's a reason the team consistently played better when he was on the court. Consistently. He wasn't great at getting into the paint, but he was good enough to be one of the most efficient PGs on one of the better offensive teams for the last five years. Is the ability to get into the paint a plus? Sure. Is it a deal breaker if he can't? No. And Calderon can get into the paint better than you're giving him credit for. He's not great at it, but he can do it when healthy.

Same goes for his defense. While it's not great, by any means, it's not nearly as bad as a lot of Raptor fans seem to think.

Now I'm not saying Calderon is the answer, by any means, but the PG position is really the least of the Raptor's worries. If he was 5 years younger, I'd have no problem saying they should keep him.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
        Its not a matter of it being scoring only... its that a player ability to score (whether perceived, real or potential) becomes an overly important factor.

Even the idea of a penetrating/'drive and kick' pg is based in the concept that a PG can score if he penetrates.

The idea of a player scoring simply becomes the excuse/reasoning as to why a player is good or a better choice. And generally a player needs to be incredibly good or incredibly terrible at some other areas of the game to change that.
        I'm saying the fans you think I'm talking about are not the ones I was talking about. The fact that you mentioned Bargnani earlier meant you and I are talking about two different things. You can feel free to continue on your train of thought, just know that you're not speaking for me. =P

Whether it's Jack, Bradley, or Tie Domi, Toronto fans tend to overvalue blue-collar ability.

Comment

IMO we keep the 5th pick and draft kemba and then trade Calderon. Bayless/Walker seems like an awesome rotation at the 1 spot, no more worries on defense, offense or speed. Everyones happy... well most of us anyway

Comment

Working...
          X