Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BC clears the air: DeRozan not in play but they are trying to get another top ten

Post Thanks / Like

Default BC clears the air: DeRozan not in play but they are trying to get another top ten

via http://twitter.com/#!/DraftExpress

Colangelo says there's "no truth at all" to rumor he offered DeMar DeRozan for the #2 pick. "DeMar has never been part of any conversation."
    Colangelo did say he's "definitely exploring acquiring another top-10 pick," but maintains that DeRozan "won't be part of any package."
    and unfortunately :/
    Bryan Colangelo is in Belgrade right now watching Jan Vesely in the Serbian league finals.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

3 cheers for trying to get another top 10 pick without giving up DeMar!
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew it, BC got his eyes on Euro at the 5th pick, tho I do like Jan's size and somewhat explosiveness, hes a definititely an offensive upgrade to JJ at the 3 spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Outside of Jonas i don't see him taking any dudes with boom or bust potential. He's just doing due diligence and exploring all his options (please god let him just be exploring all his options)
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Colangelo did say he's "definitely exploring acquiring another top-10 pick," but maintains that DeRozan "won't be part of any package."
    Definitely like this quote though!

EDIT: Especially since he did not say that Bargnani won't be a part of such a package.

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that the top euro prospects (minus Kanter) aren't coming to North America to work out for teams and so NBA teams have to go to Europe to check them out. This weekend they are holding the euro combine. In regards to Vesely I believe this is just BC doing due diligence as I remember something about Vesely not going to the euro combine nor doing individual workouts with NBA teams. Vesely, though, will come to North America just before the draft to do physical tests. I think Montiejunas isn't doing work-outs either.

I'd rather see a prospect playing in real games rather than just running through some drills anyway.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is good news, indeed. He had talked earlier in the year about not wanting 2 rookies as the team was young enough. I guess that was before he decided or was told how drastic the changes needed to be.

Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Demar Derozan

PPL u all heard the trade rumours and the bs going around that his available..
    Let me tell all the minniii fans who would love 2 have him...not gonna happend!!!
    So Minny reporters,blogers,fans whatever...shut up..stop making crap up!!!
    Ohh yeah...Please if any other disgruntled Raptor fans have some opinion on this...go ahead add comment say ure say on it...

P.S

I'm Big Demar Derozan Fan!!!
    Finally we have someone who might not be superstar but his building block 2 championship team...Bargnani..well if ure read most of my posts u know where I stand with BANANA!!!

Cheers...

Post Thanks / Like

I like what Hannibal did there
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! we are keeping DeMar thanks for posting that made me feel less worried.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Never really thought DD was in play.
    Not surprised he's exploring the opportunity to nab a pick. My bet is for Leonard, Vesely or Valuncianas if he drops. Not sure he's really going to push to get one, but they're all intriguing if they could be nabbed at a low cost. I like what I've read about Leonard as a defensive prospect, but he's obviously a bit a reach at the 5th pick.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I vaguely remember BC stating in 2006 that Charlie Villanueva was a key piece of the Raptors core for years going forward ..... only to trade him a few weeks later for TJ Ford.

Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    I vaguely remember BC stating in 2006 that Charlie Villanueva was a key piece of the Raptors core for years going forward ..... only to trade him a few weeks later for TJ Ford.
    Was thinking the same thing. First of all, Bryan has stated over and over, that no one on this team is untradable.

I think this should just be read as, "we are not shopping him". Which really means, you better have a serious package if you want to mention his name, otherwise don't waste our time.

and unfortunately :/
    Bryan Colangelo is in Belgrade right now watching Jan Vesely in the Serbian league finals.

I am glad he is going to watch him, we need to know what is out there. In fact I am going to check my not so legal streaming account and see if I can catch a game or two myself. I don't want to draft him, because I have not heard much buzz about this kid, but don't want to burry my head in the sand either. I would like to know why Ford keeps serving us a plate full of Vesely every time he does a mock. Is he mocking us? Is it a way to get hits for his banter?
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed Jun 8th, 2011 at 10:53 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie Sheptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys,

Demar may not go for the #2/Flynn, but he is by no means untouchable. Do I think he will be traded? No. I think Jose,Barbosa,Bargnani, Amir, & even Kleiza are the trade baits, but Demar will probably receive the biggest return and who knows what the return could be. All we know is that it isn't with Minny. But don't act like Demar is the "franchise" I honestly don't know why so many overrate him.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Going for another pick in this draft makes a lot less sense than adding a pick in next year's.

Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to trade for a pick that you do not know the position of. (the uncertainty for both teams involved make it a very risky variable)
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu Jun 9th, 2011 at 12:11 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad he cleared that up, I hate it when baseless rumors get floated around. Good to here BC is doing his due diligence, Vesely is one of the guys often mentioned for us so I would actually be a little upset if BC or someone else high up in the Raps organization wasn't over their to see how he does in the finals.
    I hope BC can get another pick. While none of the guys in this draft have superstar written on them there are some decent prospects in the top ten. Picking up Knight at 5 and Biyombo or Thompson at ten would be a pretty nice haul for Toronto.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason you squash a rumor is because it may affect season ticket sales.
    Generally you would want rumors out there, maybe you would get a more serious offer
    for your player...Demar is far from untouchable but it looks like the fanbase has decided
    that if he is traded it should be for a known commodity (not neccessarily a star but not a draft pick either).

I'm on board with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    The only reason you squash a rumor is because it may affect season ticket sales.
    Generally you would want rumors out there, maybe you would get a more serious offer
    for your player...Demar is far from untouchable but it looks like the fanbase has decided
    that if he is traded it should be for a known commodity (not neccessarily a star but not a draft pick either).

I'm on board with that.
    You also squash rumors because you don't want the player being mentioned to be affected negatively, as is sometimes the case when your employer stops giving you their vote of confidence.

And no, you don't generally want rumors out there. It's not like other GMs read Hoopsworld and say to themselves, "oooh, Kahn is willing to offer Flynn and the #2 for DeRozan and the #5, time for me to bid higher!" Any leveraging would be done over the phone, GM to GM, and not via silly fan rags.

Post Thanks / Like

Its, to QUASH a rumor.
    Not Squash.

quash/kw˘SH/Verb

1. Reject as invalid, esp. by legal procedure: "his conviction was quashed on appeal".

2. Put an end to; suppress: "a hospital executive quashed rumors that nursing staff will lose jobs".
    Have seen it alot around here, and thought I'd just fill ya in...

As for coming out and saying Demar is not on the table, that was a great move by BC. Even for a stupid rumor like that, it shows alot for him to come out that quickly with a rebuttal, and say that Demar is our guy going forward.
    In Masai we Trust.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information