Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0: Raptors select Jan Vesely

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0: Raptors select Jan Vesely

Analysis: Bryan Colangelo could go a number of ways here. He has strong interest in both Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker. If Knight's on the board, I don't think he gets passed on here. If Walker's here the question for Colangelo is what to do with Leandro Barbosa and Jerryd Bayless. Both players are similar to Walker.

He could go with an international player, such as Valanciunas, Vesely or Bismack Biyombo. Of the three, sources say, Vesely is the highest on their board. He provides size and athleticism at the small forward position. The other dark horse here is Kawhi Leonard.

Irving, Williams, Knight, Kanter, Vesely, Leonard, Walker, Valanciunas, Morris, Burks, Klay Thompson, Singleton, Tristan Thompson, Biyombo

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jan has skills like a SF, but he has the size of a C, should the Raptors pick him and make him gain 25-30 lbs of muscle and have him at the 5?

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    Jan has skills like a SF, but he has the size of a C, should the Raptors pick him and make him gain 25-30 lbs of muscle and have him at the 5?
    Except he can't shoot, handle the ball, and can be a liability against quicker small forwards. Other than that...
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Except he can't shoot, handle the ball, and can be a liability against quicker small forwards. Other than that...
    +1. He's a smaller Bargnani with a worse shot. How could Ford possibly think he's a fit?!

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, Ford is a idiot. We're established this.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If we are the worst defensive team in the league 2 years in a row, then we should trade down and get Bismack, Who cares about offense when you can probably average 3 blocks a game.

Post Thanks / Like

If we are the worst defensive team in the league 2 years in a row, then we should trade down and get Bismack, Who cares about offense when you can probably average 3 blocks a game.
    I'd be fine with that except the Raptors already have Ed Davis. If the Raptors are going to trade Bargnani, then it would be nice to get a center who can also (key word there: also) score. That's one reason I'm so big on them drafting Kanter. The danger is reacting too far the other way and getting a good defensive team that can't score to save their life.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I'd be fine with that except the Raptors already have Ed Davis. If the Raptors are going to trade Bargnani, then it would be nice to get a center who can also (key word there: also) score. That's one reason I'm so big on them drafting Kanter. The danger is reacting too far the other way and getting a good defensive team that can't score to save their life.
    Like Milwaukee?

Post Thanks / Like

Something tells me this whole idea of trading down to get Biyombo is a huge risk, in that I don't think the kid is gonna fall too far. Some GM with balls is gonna pick him (especially if the kid impresses in his European workouts) fairly high. If Kanter is gone by the fifth pick, I'd have to seriously think long and hard about taking BB, or Kemba. Kemba just has winner written all over him. More of a sure thing than Knight, and I don't see Knight having a considerably higher upside. But maybe draft Biyombo and play him at centre. The Shaq era is over, and there are very few huge beastly centres left. I totally think BB can play centre the way the league is now. A daring move, but seriously, if ever there was a draft to make a daring move in...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LeeZ wrote: View Post
    Something tells me this whole idea of trading down to get Biyombo is a huge risk, in that I don't think the kid is gonna fall too far. Some GM with balls is gonna pick him (especially if the kid impresses in his European workouts) fairly high. If Kanter is gone by the fifth pick, I'd have to seriously think long and hard about taking BB, or Kemba. Kemba just has winner written all over him. More of a sure thing than Knight, and I don't see Knight having a considerably higher upside. But maybe draft Biyombo and play him at centre. The Shaq era is over, and there are very few huge beastly centres left. I totally think BB can play centre the way the league is now. A daring move, but seriously, if ever there was a draft to make a daring move in...
    +1

Forget trading down. Just take BB fifth. In two years we'll be glad we did.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering the short leash BC is under, he'll take the most NBA ready player. I suspect he wants Knight but I don't think Knight will be there at 5. I think Utah is going to take him since they seem to love Knight and have a history of selecting point guards in the draft. So, at the 5 slot, I'm quite certain, BC is taking Kemba Walker because he's the most NBA ready of a lot of the prospects who will be available at this slot. I actually think this is a blessing in disguise as I believe Kemba will be the steal of the draft. You can tell from his interview yesterday, that Kemba has a quiet confidence and swagger that will make him a big success in the NBA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jd4 wrote: View Post
    Considering the short leash BC is under, he'll take the most NBA ready player. I suspect he wants Knight but I don't think Knight will be there at 5. I think Utah is going to take him since they seem to love Knight and have a history of selecting point guards in the draft. So, at the 5 slot, I'm quite certain, BC is taking Kemba Walker because he's the most NBA ready of a lot of the prospects who will be available at this slot. I actually think this is a blessing in disguise as I believe Kemba will be the steal of the draft. You can tell from his interview yesterday, that Kemba has a quiet confidence and swagger that will make him a big success in the NBA.
    If Colangelo wants the most NBA ready player, why would he take a 19 year old who will take years to learn the PG position?
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

4.26 but that is still horrible. I really hope we get Bismack. Everyone wants Kanters because he has better O but I don't see the point of that. We didn't have prob offensive, we had probs defensively and Bismack IMO is the best defensive player in this draft. He's physically ready to play in the NBA and he's young so he has plenty of time to work on his footwork/offensive. He has the best defensive instincts in the draft which you can't teach.

Toronto Raptors | 99.1 PT | .465 of 82.4 FG | .755 of 24.1 FT | .316 of 13.3 3P | 40.3/11.7 RB | 21.89 AS | 4.26 BL | 7.09 ST | 14.05 TO | 22.04 PF | 82 G
    the Raptors stat ranks: #6 PF | #7 FGM | #8 TO | #8 FG% | #8 Off. Rebs. | #12 FGA | #14 Assists | #15 FTM | #17 Points | #19 FTA | #21 Rebounds | #22 Steals | #22 FT% | #26 Blocks | #27 Def. Rebs. | #29 3PA | #29 3PM | #30 3P%
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Wed Jun 8th, 2011 at 06:22 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the idea of adding Bismack ... exactly, who cares if he can't score - we have scorers ... we need rim defence.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    I really like the idea of adding Bismack ... exactly, who cares if he can't score - we have scorers ... we need rim defence.
    Arguable, I think Ed is gonna be our guy for low post defense..

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote keefec wrote: View Post
    Arguable, I think Ed is gonna be our guy for low post defense..
    Biyombo's 7'7 wingspan makes me think he can play Centre ... if we keep Bargnani, i'm not sure Ed can play Centre - unless he beefs up quite a bit.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't call Chad Ford an idiot, and he's VERY well connected. More so than most draft blogs.

That being said, you gotta wonder about this pick. I would've been all over this pick if it wasn't for fact he's 21 and still doesn't have much of a jump shot. The criticisms of Jan sound pretty similar to when Demar was drafted, but of course Demar was only 19 at the time. And the 54% FT shooting is...yikes.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

knight or walker..that is all

Post Thanks / Like

No way he takes Vesely right there with Walker in play (in this scenario). Barbosa isn't long term. He could easily get moved in the off-season.

Raptors Republic Rookie rapsfan2011's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

good god no not Vesley

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information