Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0: Raptors select Jan Vesely

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0: Raptors select Jan Vesely

Analysis: Bryan Colangelo could go a number of ways here. He has strong interest in both Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker. If Knight's on the board, I don't think he gets passed on here. If Walker's here the question for Colangelo is what to do with Leandro Barbosa and Jerryd Bayless. Both players are similar to Walker.

He could go with an international player, such as Valanciunas, Vesely or Bismack Biyombo. Of the three, sources say, Vesely is the highest on their board. He provides size and athleticism at the small forward position. The other dark horse here is Kawhi Leonard.

Irving, Williams, Knight, Kanter, Vesely, Leonard, Walker, Valanciunas, Morris, Burks, Klay Thompson, Singleton, Tristan Thompson, Biyombo

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jan has skills like a SF, but he has the size of a C, should the Raptors pick him and make him gain 25-30 lbs of muscle and have him at the 5?

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    Jan has skills like a SF, but he has the size of a C, should the Raptors pick him and make him gain 25-30 lbs of muscle and have him at the 5?
    Except he can't shoot, handle the ball, and can be a liability against quicker small forwards. Other than that...
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Except he can't shoot, handle the ball, and can be a liability against quicker small forwards. Other than that...
    +1. He's a smaller Bargnani with a worse shot. How could Ford possibly think he's a fit?!

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, Ford is a idiot. We're established this.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If we are the worst defensive team in the league 2 years in a row, then we should trade down and get Bismack, Who cares about offense when you can probably average 3 blocks a game.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't call Chad Ford an idiot, and he's VERY well connected. More so than most draft blogs.

That being said, you gotta wonder about this pick. I would've been all over this pick if it wasn't for fact he's 21 and still doesn't have much of a jump shot. The criticisms of Jan sound pretty similar to when Demar was drafted, but of course Demar was only 19 at the time. And the 54% FT shooting is...yikes.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

knight or walker..that is all

Post Thanks / Like

No way he takes Vesely right there with Walker in play (in this scenario). Barbosa isn't long term. He could easily get moved in the off-season.

Post Thanks / Like

If we are the worst defensive team in the league 2 years in a row, then we should trade down and get Bismack, Who cares about offense when you can probably average 3 blocks a game.
    I'd be fine with that except the Raptors already have Ed Davis. If the Raptors are going to trade Bargnani, then it would be nice to get a center who can also (key word there: also) score. That's one reason I'm so big on them drafting Kanter. The danger is reacting too far the other way and getting a good defensive team that can't score to save their life.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Rookie rapsfan2011's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

good god no not Vesley

Post Thanks / Like

Leaving the merits of Vesely aside for the moment, this would be a ballsy move by Colangelo given that Bargnani hasn't exactly turned out as promised. Fair or unfair, wise or unwise, the comparisons are going to be made and Vesely would be under the scalpel before he played a single minute. I don't think it would be fair to Vesely or make for an environment where a player can succeed.

If he busted, Colangelo would get absolutely roasted in a way that he wouldn't if he took Walker, for example, and Kemba busted.

Just don't see this happening....

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Leaving the merits of Vesely aside for the moment, this would be a ballsy move by Colangelo given that Bargnani hasn't exactly turned out as promised. Fair or unfair, wise or unwise, the comparisons are going to be made and Vesely would be under the scalpel before he played a single minute. I don't think it would be fair to Vesely or make for an environment where a player can succeed.

If he busted, Colangelo would get absolutely roasted in a way that he wouldn't if he took Walker, for example, and Kemba busted.

Just don't see this happening....
    Good point. It would be a huge risk of BC and horrible environment for Jan.

Flip side of that though, it would be a pretty crazy highlight reel of dunks between Demar and Jan (and the other youngens). It could help sell tix but not a lot of wins.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Rookie rapsfan2011's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Raptors draft party would riot if Vesleys name was called.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, I am still scratching my head over why we let Shawn Marion go. We need a tough-nosed defender, rebounding machine, freak athlete at the 3 to make up for Andrea's lackluster D and rebounding. Kawhi Leonard is the easy choice. Look at how Marion is shutting down Lebron. Kawhi Leonard has all the skills and determination to become the next Marion. Plus, he knows DeRozan. That's a bonus.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jay_Dubyah wrote: View Post
    First of all, I am still scratching my head over why we let Shawn Marion go. We need a tough-nosed defender, rebounding machine, freak athlete at the 3 to make up for Andrea's lackluster D and rebounding. Kawhi Leonard is the easy choice. Look at how Marion is shutting down Lebron. Kawhi Leonard has all the skills and determination to become the next Marion. Plus, he knows DeRozan. That's a bonus.
    Kawhi Leonard working out for Wizards

@Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Something tells me this whole idea of trading down to get Biyombo is a huge risk, in that I don't think the kid is gonna fall too far. Some GM with balls is gonna pick him (especially if the kid impresses in his European workouts) fairly high. If Kanter is gone by the fifth pick, I'd have to seriously think long and hard about taking BB, or Kemba. Kemba just has winner written all over him. More of a sure thing than Knight, and I don't see Knight having a considerably higher upside. But maybe draft Biyombo and play him at centre. The Shaq era is over, and there are very few huge beastly centres left. I totally think BB can play centre the way the league is now. A daring move, but seriously, if ever there was a draft to make a daring move in...

Post Thanks / Like

Mario wasn't "let go". He was a free agent and didn't want to re-sign with Toronto. Colangelo offered him a contract, but he didn't take it. Colangelo also offered another tough-nosed defender and freak athlete, in Trevor Ariza, a contract, but he chose to sign for less elsewhere.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Kawhi Leonard working out for Wizards

Ouch. I don't think I've missed that many open shots at the foul line as he did in that video. The earlier clips I've seen showed his jumpshot had improved. Apparently not.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jay did not know how to use him, adding him to our lineup did not even register a blip on our radar. People keep saying Jay never had the players, he had a much more balanced Roster than Mitchell had and it had little impact on us winning games.

Bryan paid a high price for Marion, and it did nothing for us. (..and yes Marion wanted to leave, I would too)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information