Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0: Raptors select Jan Vesely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0: Raptors select Jan Vesely

Analysis: Bryan Colangelo could go a number of ways here. He has strong interest in both Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker. If Knight's on the board, I don't think he gets passed on here. If Walker's here the question for Colangelo is what to do with Leandro Barbosa and Jerryd Bayless. Both players are similar to Walker.

He could go with an international player, such as Valanciunas, Vesely or Bismack Biyombo. Of the three, sources say, Vesely is the highest on their board. He provides size and athleticism at the small forward position. The other dark horse here is Kawhi Leonard.

Irving, Williams, Knight, Kanter, Vesely, Leonard, Walker, Valanciunas, Morris, Burks, Klay Thompson, Singleton, Tristan Thompson, Biyombo

Jan has skills like a SF, but he has the size of a C, should the Raptors pick him and make him gain 25-30 lbs of muscle and have him at the 5?
    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
      Jan has skills like a SF, but he has the size of a C, should the Raptors pick him and make him gain 25-30 lbs of muscle and have him at the 5?
      Except he can't shoot, handle the ball, and can be a liability against quicker small forwards. Other than that...
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Except he can't shoot, handle the ball, and can be a liability against quicker small forwards. Other than that...
        +1. He's a smaller Bargnani with a worse shot. How could Ford possibly think he's a fit?!
        http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

Guys, Ford is a idiot. We're established this.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If we are the worst defensive team in the league 2 years in a row, then we should trade down and get Bismack, Who cares about offense when you can probably average 3 blocks a game.
            NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

I wouldn't call Chad Ford an idiot, and he's VERY well connected. More so than most draft blogs.

That being said, you gotta wonder about this pick. I would've been all over this pick if it wasn't for fact he's 21 and still doesn't have much of a jump shot. The criticisms of Jan sound pretty similar to when Demar was drafted, but of course Demar was only 19 at the time. And the 54% FT shooting is...yikes.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

knight or walker..that is all

Comment

No way he takes Vesely right there with Walker in play (in this scenario). Barbosa isn't long term. He could easily get moved in the off-season.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                    If we are the worst defensive team in the league 2 years in a row, then we should trade down and get Bismack, Who cares about offense when you can probably average 3 blocks a game.
                    I'd be fine with that except the Raptors already have Ed Davis. If the Raptors are going to trade Bargnani, then it would be nice to get a center who can also (key word there: also) score. That's one reason I'm so big on them drafting Kanter. The danger is reacting too far the other way and getting a good defensive team that can't score to save their life.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

good god no not Vesley

Comment

Leaving the merits of Vesely aside for the moment, this would be a ballsy move by Colangelo given that Bargnani hasn't exactly turned out as promised. Fair or unfair, wise or unwise, the comparisons are going to be made and Vesely would be under the scalpel before he played a single minute. I don't think it would be fair to Vesely or make for an environment where a player can succeed.

If he busted, Colangelo would get absolutely roasted in a way that he wouldn't if he took Walker, for example, and Kemba busted.

Just don't see this happening....

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          Leaving the merits of Vesely aside for the moment, this would be a ballsy move by Colangelo given that Bargnani hasn't exactly turned out as promised. Fair or unfair, wise or unwise, the comparisons are going to be made and Vesely would be under the scalpel before he played a single minute. I don't think it would be fair to Vesely or make for an environment where a player can succeed.

If he busted, Colangelo would get absolutely roasted in a way that he wouldn't if he took Walker, for example, and Kemba busted.

Just don't see this happening....
                          Good point. It would be a huge risk of BC and horrible environment for Jan.

Flip side of that though, it would be a pretty crazy highlight reel of dunks between Demar and Jan (and the other youngens). It could help sell tix but not a lot of wins.
                          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I think the Raptors draft party would riot if Vesleys name was called.

Comment

First of all, I am still scratching my head over why we let Shawn Marion go. We need a tough-nosed defender, rebounding machine, freak athlete at the 3 to make up for Andrea's lackluster D and rebounding. Kawhi Leonard is the easy choice. Look at how Marion is shutting down Lebron. Kawhi Leonard has all the skills and determination to become the next Marion. Plus, he knows DeRozan. That's a bonus.

Comment

Working...
                              X