Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0: Raptors select Jan Vesely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ceez wrote: View Post
    Word is Vesely had a really good game. Be afraid.
    Via Jay Satur:

The Raptors brass watched Vesely put up 18 pts (5-6 FGM-A, 2-3 3FGM-A, 2-6 FTM-A), w/ 5 rebs, 1 ast, 1 blk & 5 TOs in 24 minutes today.

Comment

The only positive I can see about Vesely is with JJ here at least he won't be forced to do too much?
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

It's a sad state of affairs when I'm trying to talk myself into a player
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          Ouch. I don't think I've missed that many open shots at the foul line as he did in that video. The earlier clips I've seen showed his jumpshot had improved. Apparently not.
          im assuming thats right near the end of his workout, looks cashed. if its not then my prediction for leonard is waaay off.

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
            Something tells me this whole idea of trading down to get Biyombo is a huge risk, in that I don't think the kid is gonna fall too far. Some GM with balls is gonna pick him (especially if the kid impresses in his European workouts) fairly high. If Kanter is gone by the fifth pick, I'd have to seriously think long and hard about taking BB, or Kemba. Kemba just has winner written all over him. More of a sure thing than Knight, and I don't see Knight having a considerably higher upside. But maybe draft Biyombo and play him at centre. The Shaq era is over, and there are very few huge beastly centres left. I totally think BB can play centre the way the league is now. A daring move, but seriously, if ever there was a draft to make a daring move in...
            +1

Forget trading down. Just take BB fifth. In two years we'll be glad we did.

Comment

Considering the short leash BC is under, he'll take the most NBA ready player. I suspect he wants Knight but I don't think Knight will be there at 5. I think Utah is going to take him since they seem to love Knight and have a history of selecting point guards in the draft. So, at the 5 slot, I'm quite certain, BC is taking Kemba Walker because he's the most NBA ready of a lot of the prospects who will be available at this slot. I actually think this is a blessing in disguise as I believe Kemba will be the steal of the draft. You can tell from his interview yesterday, that Kemba has a quiet confidence and swagger that will make him a big success in the NBA.

Comment

Jay_Dubyah wrote: View Post
                First of all, I am still scratching my head over why we let Shawn Marion go. We need a tough-nosed defender, rebounding machine, freak athlete at the 3 to make up for Andrea's lackluster D and rebounding. Kawhi Leonard is the easy choice. Look at how Marion is shutting down Lebron. Kawhi Leonard has all the skills and determination to become the next Marion. Plus, he knows DeRozan. That's a bonus.
                Shawn Marion did not want to stay in Toronto. It wasn't officially said, but after watching his end-of-season presser, it was clear he wasn't coming back. Don't think the Raptors could've done much about Marion, the JO trade was a salary dump to sign a big name summer free-agent which ended up being Hedo. Sad.

Comment

jd4 wrote: View Post
                  Considering the short leash BC is under, he'll take the most NBA ready player. I suspect he wants Knight but I don't think Knight will be there at 5. I think Utah is going to take him since they seem to love Knight and have a history of selecting point guards in the draft. So, at the 5 slot, I'm quite certain, BC is taking Kemba Walker because he's the most NBA ready of a lot of the prospects who will be available at this slot. I actually think this is a blessing in disguise as I believe Kemba will be the steal of the draft. You can tell from his interview yesterday, that Kemba has a quiet confidence and swagger that will make him a big success in the NBA.
                  If Colangelo wants the most NBA ready player, why would he take a 19 year old who will take years to learn the PG position?
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                    im assuming thats right near the end of his workout, looks cashed. if its not then my prediction for leonard is waaay off.
                    Why would they (wonder who) put that clip out. It was not impressive and frankly quite boring and yes he was gassed.

Comment

Tank wrote: View Post
                      Yep, Kemba and Knight were in town yesterday doing workouts, although at separate times and not against each other. Go to http://www.nba.com/raptors/2011draft for interviews and other insight.
                      Thk you Tank.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Why would they (wonder who) put that clip out. It was not impressive and frankly quite boring and yes he was gassed.
                        It is a little weird that clip would be released, although whether he was gassed or not, I don't like him missing so many 15 footers so badly. These aren't 3 point shots, we're talking about. You'd think an NBA wing prospect would be able to hit those on one leg with his eyes closed. If you can't make at least 80% of open shots from that distance, there's something wrong. Maybe it was a bad day, who knows, but I didn't like what I saw there at all, and I've said I'd probably want him at 5 if Kanter's off the board. I'm starting to wonder about that, now.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Because GMs use a lot of misdirection this time of the year.
                          If your high on a player why wouldn't you try to dissuade teams higher than
                          you from drafting the kid you want?

Comment

Well, it didn't register a blip except for the fact that the team won 9 of their last 13 games that season. And they had Bosh, Marion, Bargnani, and injured Calderon and a bunch of below average players, including 2 backup PGs that didn't even last a year in the league after that. It's strange that Triano didn't somehow figure out a way to make that a playoff team.

You could say that, if you wanted to be selective. You could also say that when we acquired Marion we lost 8 of our 11 games. A much higher percentage than 9/13. This was a piece that everyone agreed that we needed, and Jay did not know how to use. He wasn't a redundent piece, he did not duplicate anything, it was just Jay's inability to fit him into the team.

You can say such trades require a season and a preseason, but then why would teams make them before a playoff push? (paying through the nose like we did renting Marion) I have seen plenty of such juicy trades work out well for teams. In Triano's case it was a disaster (and it was exactly the right piece at the RIGHT TIME!).

So lets look at the 9/13. If we stretch the margins we can include two losses and make it 9/15. Lets take them out and lets make the margins from WIN to WIN (so back to your 9/13). Who did we beat?

LA Clippers 19/63
                            Milwaukee 34/48
                            Oklahoma 23/59
                            Chicago (2) 41/41
                            Orlando 59/23
                            Knicks 32/50
                            Philadelphia 41/41
                            Washington 19/63

(only ONE team above 500. Plenty of teams fighting for the lottery)

Who did we loose to?

Knicks 32/50
                            Atlanta 47/35
                            Indiana 36/46
                            Washington 19/63

(3 teams we should have beaten if we were really a PO team)

We had a very easy schedule at the end of the season. Sam Mitchell had one of the hardest at 7-8, with what many still consider an inferior roster.

So we get Marion.
                            ===========

First game, Kapono plays 25 minutes, we lose.
                            2nd game, Kapono plays 30 minutes, we lose.

Jay still does not get it.... wonders why our defence is not improving. Kapono is playing SG, we are getting lit up with 3's from all over. Scouting report says you can exploit the raptors from the perimeter. Jay see's nothing... can't understand why teams are killing us with the 3 ball, night after night.

This is why Jay was a HORRIBLE NBA coach. A great CIAU and International coach, but just no understanding of defence at the NBA level and no ability to adjust.

I am so happy that Jay got released (canned). You guys have no idea. I wanted Bryan gone for hiring this flake. I now understand that I can live with Bryan, but I could never live with Jay. Stupid is what stupid does.

EDIT: I should not call him a bad coach, posted this message a bit too early due to my insomnia, so its a little groggy in nature. I imagine he is an incredible teacher of the game, but a horrible tactician when you add both defence and offence to the equation. I think he might make an amazing offensive coordinator, and I think he is great person and role model. I certainly would buy him a beer if I bumped into him. As for being a head coach in this league, there is no shame in not making the cut. 30 positions only, maybe 15 of them are manned by coaches that actually have the aptitude to coach at this level, the rest are just like Jay, only a season or two away from getting the hook and never being back.
                            Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu Jun 9, 2011, 07:10 AM.

Comment

It is a little weird that clip would be released, although whether he was gassed or not, I don't like him missing so many 15 footers so badly. These aren't 3 point shots, we're talking about. You'd think an NBA wing prospect would be able to hit those on one leg with his eyes closed. If you can't make at least 80% of open shots from that distance, there's something wrong. Maybe it was a bad day, who knows, but I didn't like what I saw there at all, and I've said I'd probably want him at 5 if Kanter's off the board. I'm starting to wonder about that, now.
                              just like if he'd nailed every shot i wouldn't be making him out to be the best shooter in the history of the world, i don't draw any conclusions about the fact he missed more than he made in this particular drill. i mean, he didn't dunk during the drill either, but i'm not questioning his hops.

he's got good form, and that, IMO, is all that really matters (at this stage). he'll have lots of time to iron out the wrinkles & develop consistency from mid-range & beyond...it's not as though he'd be asked to be anything other than the 3rd or 4th offensive option when on the floor for the first season or two anyway.
                              Last edited by yertu damkule; Thu Jun 9, 2011, 10:02 AM.
                              TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Despite the fact the draft is only two weeks away, there is still a lot of confusion about who is going where. "I know who is going [Nos.] 1 and 2," one lottery GM told ESPN.com. "After that, I don't have a clue." ESPN.com
                                Derrick Williams' camp is doing its best to cast doubt on the Cavs' coronation of Irving as the No. 1 pick. But with two weeks to go, all signs still point to Cleveland selecting Irving first. Williams is still in the picture here in part because the Cavs feel they could get a very good point guard (either Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker) at No. 4. But sources say it's Irving's to lose. ESPN.com
                                Source: HoopsHype.com

Comment

Working...
                                X