Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casey... i still believe in bargnani

Comment

Casey. Just not a big Frank fan. Maybe he's a solid coach, but I wouldn't mind giving Casey a real shot. His one head coaching gig was in Minnesota, where he was given Kevin Garnett with a bunch of rejects (and don't go telling my Ricky Davis, Mark Blount and Randy Foye are valuable pieces). The concerns about how he used personnel in Minny are unimportant given he was not given any quality personnel.
      Also, I'm not surprised that for Frank they say his personality might wear down players. Young guys may be more prone to react that way. Casey is given credit for being tough but fair, an important thing with young teams that lack vets.

Anyway, without a seasoned head coach in the mix, I'm fine with either of those 2 guys. They both have lots of experience and different strengths. Frankly I'm a bit glad not to see Van Gundy in the mix. Love his ability, but man are his teams boring to watch.

Comment

Also, just the Minny rosters to put things into perspective. Apart from KG is there any player you'd want on your team? Obviously both NJ and MIN had horrible rosters not capable of winning at a high clip.
        http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2006.html
        http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2007.html

All that being said, there's no excuse for NJ's start to that season. Don't necessarily blame the coach, but I'd hesitate to have any coach or player from that team.

Comment

My vote is with Casey. I initially was in favour of Frank, but that was before I learned about Casey's reputation around the league as a tough, but fair, guy. If he can't turn our defense around, nobody can.

Comment

Meh

Neither of these guys have the pedigree that Colangelo said he was looking for. Frank is a little closer on that measure but only on the strength of time of service. I suspect cost is a bigger factor than BC ever mentioned and he is rushing more than he said as well. Not thrilled particularly with either of them and this seems as rushed and ill-thought out as the O'Neal and Turko-glue moves. If you procrastinate, you get the wrong ex-TWolves coach, if you ask me.

Comment

i want casey, but only if he brings in a offensive coordinator. ive had enough predictable vanilla offense to last 2 lifetimes.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Both years Casey coached the Wolves they were one of the worst offensive teams in the league. You couple that with lost fire power from a traded Bargnani(you know it's coming) and we might be in for a boring season. If it leads to a more successful product then whatever I guess.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                  I hope we get Casey. With Casey in place knowing he isn't great at O we could probably keep Jays as an assistant and let him take care of the O (since he has done a great in this time here) and let Casey focus on D.
                  I'd like to know what the Raptors' plan for Alex English are. Don't know much about the guy, from what I can tell he falls into the "nice guy" category of things and appears to be a solid assistant (helped Amir with his J etc.) He's also the only person in the organization that commands respect based on their playing career. I'm hoping they keep him around as an assistant, while at the same time wishing somebody gave him a head coaching job.

Comment

I hope they keep Alex around. He's the most senior coach with the team now at this point. If they choose Casey then I hope he appreciates what Alex brings to the table for the offense. The guy is one of the most prolific scorers in league history. He can help.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Both years Casey coached the Wolves they were one of the worst offensive teams in the league. You couple that with lost fire power from a traded Bargnani(you know it's coming) and we might be in for a boring season. If it leads to a more successful product then whatever I guess.
                      Of course that might have something to do with the roster they had, but I am with the idea of bringing in a strong offensive minded coach, or promoting English into that role.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                        I'd like to know what the Raptors' plan for Alex English are. Don't know much about the guy, from what I can tell he falls into the "nice guy" category of things and appears to be a solid assistant (helped Amir with his J etc.) He's also the only person in the organization that commands respect based on their playing career. I'm hoping they keep him around as an assistant, while at the same time wishing somebody gave him a head coaching job.
                        Not sure he has been a lead assistant (offense/defense) or just developmental, correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure he is ready for HC, but a good guy and agree would like to see him succeed.

Comment

When Casey got canned in Minnesota, his team was 20-20 ... and they have had awful talent levels ... they did must worse without him that season.
                          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Dwayne Casey will be our new Kevin O'Neil.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                              When Casey got canned in Minnesota, his team was 20-20 ... and they have had awful talent levels ... they did must worse without him that season.
                              Sometimes record doesn't show everything..
                              People must remember that its been almost 10 years since he coached the wolves and it's not like he didn't learn anything at all from the past 10 years...

Comment

If we get Casey I hope he keeps Dre around for another year. Having a defensive mentality and no prior relationship with him might be enough to finally get/keep him motivated. If Dre isn't playing up to standard ship him out at the deadline or next summer. With his talent I would wait to see what a legit coach can do with him before shipping him out at a discounted price.

Comment

Working...
                                X