Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Rapcast #107 Sucked

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Rapcast #107 Sucked

    There are a lot of things I do agree with from this podcast but there are things I did not like from it at all.

    - No one hates Chris Bosh or LeBron James because they teamed up together; we hate them because of how they did it. They flirted with their former teams by playing the "maybe" game and forced them to making drastic moves focused on short term success just to please these guys. Then they left leaving their team with a bunch of random parts. Agents and players run this league and that is why it is going downhill. This CBA is very important and it has to move power back to the teams and owners while still allowing players the opportunity to succeed. At the end of the day these teams are their investments and they need to get a return on them. Chris Bosh made a good decision to leave, he made the wrong decision to mess with the franchise before he left. Rant over.

    - Trade DeMar DeRozan and whoever else on the roster so we can be good in 2014 and 2015? Wasn't that what this year was about? Buying out Stojakovic's contract didn't startthat whole process? You're talking about getting rid of the young and promising talent to get young and promising talent. Why would you start that over? It would be a step sideways and potentailly even backwards. You have a bunch of promising kids who like playing and living in Toronto, why would you take the step sideways?

    - You didn't talk about Dwayne Casey at all. Even if you did it didn't get nearly as much time as your major crush on the heat. Seriously, if I wanted to listen to a guy drool over those tools for 12-13 minutes I would just go to the ESPN website. This is a Raptors blog and you focused on a team that a majority of us hate for most of your podcast. We don't want to hear about them, all of us are cheering for the Mav's. Go do podcasts elsewhere if you're in love with the big 2.5.

    On another note I think that the thoughts on Bargnani were well constructed. I like the idea of having someone like him on the team but not being a primary option. He has his limitations but if he had a diminished role that didn't demand as much of him (coming off the bench or whatever) then he could be a major help to a team on the second line. Is his stock up from the playoffs? I want to say yes but that would depend on how well he's played against Dirk and Gasol in the past to see if he has a great enoguh impact on them defensively.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote albertan_10 wrote: View Post
    There are a lot of things I do agree with from this podcast but there are things I did not like from it at all.

    - No one hates Chris Bosh or LeBron James because they teamed up together; we hate them because of how they did it. They flirted with their former teams by playing the "maybe" game and forced them to making drastic moves focused on short term success just to please these guys. Then they left leaving their team with a bunch of random parts. Agents and players run this league and that is why it is going downhill. This CBA is very important and it has to move power back to the teams and owners while still allowing players the opportunity to succeed. At the end of the day these teams are their investments and they need to get a return on them. Chris Bosh made a good decision to leave, he made the wrong decision to mess with the franchise before he left. Rant over.

    - Trade DeMar DeRozan and whoever else on the roster so we can be good in 2014 and 2015? Wasn't that what this year was about? Buying out Stojakovic's contract didn't startthat whole process? You're talking about getting rid of the young and promising talent to get young and promising talent. Why would you start that over? It would be a step sideways and potentailly even backwards. You have a bunch of promising kids who like playing and living in Toronto, why would you take the step sideways?

    - You didn't talk about Dwayne Casey at all. Even if you did it didn't get nearly as much time as your major crush on the heat. Seriously, if I wanted to listen to a guy drool over those tools for 12-13 minutes I would just go to the ESPN website. This is a Raptors blog and you focused on a team that a majority of us hate for most of your podcast. We don't want to hear about them, all of us are cheering for the Mav's. Go do podcasts elsewhere if you're in love with the big 2.5.

    On another note I think that the thoughts on Bargnani were well constructed. I like the idea of having someone like him on the team but not being a primary option. He has his limitations but if he had a diminished role that didn't demand as much of him (coming off the bench or whatever) then he could be a major help to a team on the second line. Is his stock up from the playoffs? I want to say yes but that would depend on how well he's played against Dirk and Gasol in the past to see if he has a great enoguh impact on them defensively.
    I hate to disparage phdsteve, but I agree the podcast was a little lacking.

    As for his comments about Bargnani, I thought they were completely off the mark. Completely. These playoffs (once again) proved you need good defenders to win, and Bargnani obviously isn't that. And Bargnani has consistently played poorly against Gasol and Dirk throughout his career. And, of course, he's been lit up by most of the rest of the league, as well, with countering that with varying amounts of scoring.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    One thing dirk was always knocked on throughout his career is his defense, and he's been pretty good these playoffs. Granted, they always have him guarding the crappier post player but at least he more than holds his own. And rebounds.
    @jerboat

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was listening to it this morning and thinking to myself, "am I the only one who is going to think this is utterly nonsensical and completely wrongheaded in almost every way imaginable?". Clearly, the answer is no.

    The most galling to me was the idea the Raptors should basically give up for the next 7 years cause the Heat are unstoppable. Even granting that the ridiculous premise of some team winning 7 years in a row is true, if you tell your fan base that you are packing it in for 6 years or so cause you can't win anyway, well, you won't have a team in 7 years. As a Raptor fan, I have sat through more crappy seasons in the last 16 years than most NBA fans. I am happy to rebuild properly but I also want to see light at the end of the tunnel. If the tunnel is 8 years from now? Count me out, along with a lot of other people.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    One thing dirk was always knocked on throughout his career is his defense, and he's been pretty good these playoffs. Granted, they always have him guarding the crappier post player but at least he more than holds his own. And rebounds.
    Dirk has always been unfairly criticized for his defense. While he wasn't good the first couple of years, he's become a decent defender. Not good, but decent. And he knows how to play team defense, which is extremely important. It was the same with Bosh, who was criticized for his defense in Toronto, but was decent. Quite frankly, I don't think a lot of people really know what to look for when it comes to defense. They see blocks and steals and think that's the measuring stick.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I was listening to it this morning and thinking to myself, "am I the only one who is going to think this is utterly nonsensical and completely wrongheaded in almost every way imaginable?". Clearly, the answer is no.

    The most galling to me was the idea the Raptors should basically give up for the next 7 years cause the Heat are unstoppable. Even granting that the ridiculous premise of some team winning 7 years in a row is true, if you tell your fan base that you are packing it in for 6 years or so cause you can't win anyway, well, you won't have a team in 7 years. As a Raptor fan, I have sat through more crappy seasons in the last 16 years than most NBA fans. I am happy to rebuild properly but I also want to see light at the end of the tunnel. If the tunnel is 8 years from now? Count me out, along with a lot of other people.
    I must have missed the part where he said the Raptors should pack it in for the next 7 years because Miami is unstoppable. Isn't this the same Heat that is now tied with Dallas? Am I missing something?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ya the dude had a major crush on the heat. The heat are not even close to unstoppable and they will not win 6 or 7 championships. No one knows if they are going to win this years championship or not, this guys acting like its a sure thing. Btw did anyone notice how much the guy stutters.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree that the podcast was a little lacking, but is a thread really necessary? I mean, isn't that what the comments secotion is for? Anyway, I thought the Bargs comments were well thought out and one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of teams will look at his crappy D and attribute it to the fact he's a Raptor. PHD Steve's suggestion that Bargs could have increased trade value because of the finals is not inaccurate: the Heat have demonstrated that you need to have several scorers on the floor to win and Dirk has demonstrated the power a good stretch four gives, so I think it definitely makes Bargs more marketable. As Raptors fans we see Bargs as a disappointment because of the expectations but that is likely not the case around the league.
    The Heat stuff was bothersome, we all know Lebron is good and that Steve picked the Heat, the 10 minutes of fawning was completely unnecessary.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I was listening to it this morning and thinking to myself, "am I the only one who is going to think this is utterly nonsensical and completely wrongheaded in almost every way imaginable?". Clearly, the answer is no.

    The most galling to me was the idea the Raptors should basically give up for the next 7 years cause the Heat are unstoppable. Even granting that the ridiculous premise of some team winning 7 years in a row is true, if you tell your fan base that you are packing it in for 6 years or so cause you can't win anyway, well, you won't have a team in 7 years. As a Raptor fan, I have sat through more crappy seasons in the last 16 years than most NBA fans. I am happy to rebuild properly but I also want to see light at the end of the tunnel. If the tunnel is 8 years from now? Count me out, along with a lot of other people.
    bosh's knees will never last that long. i could see wade getting a big injury to that keeps him out. once u loose one of lebron, wade, or bosh for a large ammunt of the season the heat take a step back. somone in the NBA should man up and take on for the league and take out lebron when he goes up on that break away dunk ( just kidding

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    ya the dude had a major crush on the heat. The heat are not even close to unstoppable and they will not win 6 or 7 championships. No one knows if they are going to win this years championship or not, this guys acting like its a sure thing. Btw did anyone notice how much the guy stutters.
    who cares if he stutters ?? for example , do ppl point out how big ur nose is or how ur " ______ insert word here _____ " looks ugly?
    Last edited by pesterm1; Wed Jun 8th, 2011 at 10:05 PM.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    One thing dirk was always knocked on throughout his career is his defense, and he's been pretty good these playoffs. Granted, they always have him guarding the crappier post player but at least he more than holds his own. And rebounds.
    It's been said that one of Casey's biggest accomplishments is constructing an effective defense in Dallas despite the weaknesses that Dirk and Kidd display on that end of the court. could he work the same magic with Bargnani and Calderon?

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I hate to disparage phdsteve, but I agree the podcast was a little lacking.

    As for his comments about Bargnani, I thought they were completely off the mark. Completely. These playoffs (once again) proved you need good defenders to win, and Bargnani obviously isn't that. And Bargnani has consistently played poorly against Gasol and Dirk throughout his career. And, of course, he's been lit up by most of the rest of the league, as well, with countering that with varying amounts of scoring.
    Not an Andrea fan, but I remember watching Germany vs Italy during the euro whatever tournament, and Andrea out played Dirk. This was earlier in his career.


    This is not an argument against what you say, because I honestly am just remembering ONE game. I wasn't an Andrea fan then, and was kind of expecting him to flop.... but surprisingly he did not.



    ...and this is what is so frustrating about his game. He can look good, and he can look really bad, when this happens its easy to think that he is not giving effort. In fact I don't think Andrea is a bad player, I just don't think he likes the game beyond making 3pt shots. I think asking him to do other stuff on court, is like asking your video game addicted teenage sun to dig a ditch in the garden. He will do it, but he will drag his ass doing it, and be bitter at you long after the chore is done.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptomist wrote: View Post
    It's been said that one of Casey's biggest accomplishments is constructing an effective defense in Dallas despite the weaknesses that Dirk and Kidd display on that end of the court. could he work the same magic with Bargnani and Calderon?
    This comment makes me ill.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
    Not an Andrea fan, but I remember watching Germany vs Italy during the euro whatever tournament, and Andrea out played Dirk. This was earlier in his career.


    This is not an argument against what you say, because I honestly am just remembering ONE game. I wasn't an Andrea fan then, and was kind of expecting him to flop.... but surprisingly he did not.



    ...and this is what is so frustrating about his game. He can look good, and he can look really bad, when this happens its easy to think that he is not giving effort. In fact I don't think Andrea is a bad player, I just don't think he likes the game beyond making 3pt shots. I think asking him to do other stuff on court, is like asking your video game addicted teenage sun to dig a ditch in the garden. He will do it, but he will drag his ass doing it, and be bitter at you long after the chore is done.
    I've never said Bargnani is a bad player. He's a very skilled offensive one. I just don't think there's much of a place for him on a contender, and if you're building one, then he's got to go.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree with you Tim, if he hasn't shown that determination and killer instinct thus far, I don't think we will see it. (Maybe a coach can bring it out, but that is still asking for a lot at this level - Sam stopped talking to him. We are talking Sam 'fucking Mitchell, shutting his trap... that just does not happen that often. We are dealing with stubbornness to the power of stubbornness.)


    Give me Andrea's body and skill and I would be playing against Dirk right now.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed Jun 8th, 2011 at 11:36 PM.

  16. #16
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think Steve's got #108 lined up on Friday with a guest.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow, I just have to say that trying to have a discussion with guys in the comments section of the articles pages is an exercise in frustration. It's like it attracts all the social misfits, or something. At least in the forum the idiots eventually get banned. It seems with this new Disqus system, it's a fend for yourself-type atmosphere, which means that just about every time it ends up with an insult party held by 12 year olds.

    I can understand why albertan_10 started a thread for this here. He didn't want to post in the insane asylum.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    one of the reasons I came here was because of the podcast but I must admit it has been a little weak as of late, it is still enjoyable to listen to. One thing I would like to hear when is comments about other prospects in the draft outside of the top 5 guys especially with the new information that BC is looking to get another pick in the first round.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Can definetely say I didn't agree with most of the opinions in the podcast, but I wouldn't say that means it sucked. He did have some valid reasoning, its just that he didn't contrast/compare to the other side of the story.

    Bargnani - it makes sense that wanting to beat a teams strong defense would make a player like Bargnani more attractive. However, Phd failed to compare to how a team wanting to play strong defense makes Bargnani less attractive. Unfortunately a team wanting to play stronger D is likely priority expecially when one is talking playoffs.

    Derozan - trading Derozan for a high pick may or may not be a bad thing. Where the issue is, is trading him for a pick in this years draft class that is expected to be terrible.

    A team planning for losing for 6 or 7 years is also a bad idea. While I can say I see the practicality in the argument, the reality is in professional sports no one knows what can happen. A stud could turn out to be more unstoppable than LBJ. Injuries could happen. Egos Happen. Stupid trades happen. I don't think a team should ever dictate their plans based on what another team is expected to do. Of all things to plan for in life, planning for failure only guarantees you'll suceed.

    The Heat - I could personally care less that they play together. My problem, as with others, is how they joined... or maybe more specifically that the league never looked into it. If Pat Riley at any point in time was given information that Bosh or Lebron would sign with the team in 2010.... then there was definetely rules breached. If the 3 planned playing together while still being representatives of their team (not just players... but acting as agents to attract players)... there could be some serious ethics issues. How the league didn't bother even raising an eyebrow to this is beyond me.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie phdsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    the beach
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I mean, really.

    Get over it. It was a podcast.

    There will be another one tomorrow that you can hate even more than the last 107.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •