Rapcast #107 Sucked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapcast #107 Sucked

There are a lot of things I do agree with from this podcast but there are things I did not like from it at all.

- No one hates Chris Bosh or LeBron James because they teamed up together; we hate them because of how they did it. They flirted with their former teams by playing the "maybe" game and forced them to making drastic moves focused on short term success just to please these guys. Then they left leaving their team with a bunch of random parts. Agents and players run this league and that is why it is going downhill. This CBA is very important and it has to move power back to the teams and owners while still allowing players the opportunity to succeed. At the end of the day these teams are their investments and they need to get a return on them. Chris Bosh made a good decision to leave, he made the wrong decision to mess with the franchise before he left. Rant over.

- Trade DeMar DeRozan and whoever else on the roster so we can be good in 2014 and 2015? Wasn't that what this year was about? Buying out Stojakovic's contract didn't startthat whole process? You're talking about getting rid of the young and promising talent to get young and promising talent. Why would you start that over? It would be a step sideways and potentailly even backwards. You have a bunch of promising kids who like playing and living in Toronto, why would you take the step sideways?

- You didn't talk about Dwayne Casey at all. Even if you did it didn't get nearly as much time as your major crush on the heat. Seriously, if I wanted to listen to a guy drool over those tools for 12-13 minutes I would just go to the ESPN website. This is a Raptors blog and you focused on a team that a majority of us hate for most of your podcast. We don't want to hear about them, all of us are cheering for the Mav's. Go do podcasts elsewhere if you're in love with the big 2.5.

On another note I think that the thoughts on Bargnani were well constructed. I like the idea of having someone like him on the team but not being a primary option. He has his limitations but if he had a diminished role that didn't demand as much of him (coming off the bench or whatever) then he could be a major help to a team on the second line. Is his stock up from the playoffs? I want to say yes but that would depend on how well he's played against Dirk and Gasol in the past to see if he has a great enoguh impact on them defensively.

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
    There are a lot of things I do agree with from this podcast but there are things I did not like from it at all.

- No one hates Chris Bosh or LeBron James because they teamed up together; we hate them because of how they did it. They flirted with their former teams by playing the "maybe" game and forced them to making drastic moves focused on short term success just to please these guys. Then they left leaving their team with a bunch of random parts. Agents and players run this league and that is why it is going downhill. This CBA is very important and it has to move power back to the teams and owners while still allowing players the opportunity to succeed. At the end of the day these teams are their investments and they need to get a return on them. Chris Bosh made a good decision to leave, he made the wrong decision to mess with the franchise before he left. Rant over.

- Trade DeMar DeRozan and whoever else on the roster so we can be good in 2014 and 2015? Wasn't that what this year was about? Buying out Stojakovic's contract didn't startthat whole process? You're talking about getting rid of the young and promising talent to get young and promising talent. Why would you start that over? It would be a step sideways and potentailly even backwards. You have a bunch of promising kids who like playing and living in Toronto, why would you take the step sideways?

- You didn't talk about Dwayne Casey at all. Even if you did it didn't get nearly as much time as your major crush on the heat. Seriously, if I wanted to listen to a guy drool over those tools for 12-13 minutes I would just go to the ESPN website. This is a Raptors blog and you focused on a team that a majority of us hate for most of your podcast. We don't want to hear about them, all of us are cheering for the Mav's. Go do podcasts elsewhere if you're in love with the big 2.5.

On another note I think that the thoughts on Bargnani were well constructed. I like the idea of having someone like him on the team but not being a primary option. He has his limitations but if he had a diminished role that didn't demand as much of him (coming off the bench or whatever) then he could be a major help to a team on the second line. Is his stock up from the playoffs? I want to say yes but that would depend on how well he's played against Dirk and Gasol in the past to see if he has a great enoguh impact on them defensively.
    I hate to disparage phdsteve, but I agree the podcast was a little lacking.

As for his comments about Bargnani, I thought they were completely off the mark. Completely. These playoffs (once again) proved you need good defenders to win, and Bargnani obviously isn't that. And Bargnani has consistently played poorly against Gasol and Dirk throughout his career. And, of course, he's been lit up by most of the rest of the league, as well, with countering that with varying amounts of scoring.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

One thing dirk was always knocked on throughout his career is his defense, and he's been pretty good these playoffs. Granted, they always have him guarding the crappier post player but at least he more than holds his own. And rebounds.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I was listening to it this morning and thinking to myself, "am I the only one who is going to think this is utterly nonsensical and completely wrongheaded in almost every way imaginable?". Clearly, the answer is no.

The most galling to me was the idea the Raptors should basically give up for the next 7 years cause the Heat are unstoppable. Even granting that the ridiculous premise of some team winning 7 years in a row is true, if you tell your fan base that you are packing it in for 6 years or so cause you can't win anyway, well, you won't have a team in 7 years. As a Raptor fan, I have sat through more crappy seasons in the last 16 years than most NBA fans. I am happy to rebuild properly but I also want to see light at the end of the tunnel. If the tunnel is 8 years from now? Count me out, along with a lot of other people.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          One thing dirk was always knocked on throughout his career is his defense, and he's been pretty good these playoffs. Granted, they always have him guarding the crappier post player but at least he more than holds his own. And rebounds.
          Dirk has always been unfairly criticized for his defense. While he wasn't good the first couple of years, he's become a decent defender. Not good, but decent. And he knows how to play team defense, which is extremely important. It was the same with Bosh, who was criticized for his defense in Toronto, but was decent. Quite frankly, I don't think a lot of people really know what to look for when it comes to defense. They see blocks and steals and think that's the measuring stick.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
            I was listening to it this morning and thinking to myself, "am I the only one who is going to think this is utterly nonsensical and completely wrongheaded in almost every way imaginable?". Clearly, the answer is no.

The most galling to me was the idea the Raptors should basically give up for the next 7 years cause the Heat are unstoppable. Even granting that the ridiculous premise of some team winning 7 years in a row is true, if you tell your fan base that you are packing it in for 6 years or so cause you can't win anyway, well, you won't have a team in 7 years. As a Raptor fan, I have sat through more crappy seasons in the last 16 years than most NBA fans. I am happy to rebuild properly but I also want to see light at the end of the tunnel. If the tunnel is 8 years from now? Count me out, along with a lot of other people.
            I must have missed the part where he said the Raptors should pack it in for the next 7 years because Miami is unstoppable. Isn't this the same Heat that is now tied with Dallas? Am I missing something?
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

ya the dude had a major crush on the heat. The heat are not even close to unstoppable and they will not win 6 or 7 championships. No one knows if they are going to win this years championship or not, this guys acting like its a sure thing. Btw did anyone notice how much the guy stutters.

Comment

I agree that the podcast was a little lacking, but is a thread really necessary? I mean, isn't that what the comments secotion is for? Anyway, I thought the Bargs comments were well thought out and one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of teams will look at his crappy D and attribute it to the fact he's a Raptor. PHD Steve's suggestion that Bargs could have increased trade value because of the finals is not inaccurate: the Heat have demonstrated that you need to have several scorers on the floor to win and Dirk has demonstrated the power a good stretch four gives, so I think it definitely makes Bargs more marketable. As Raptors fans we see Bargs as a disappointment because of the expectations but that is likely not the case around the league.
                The Heat stuff was bothersome, we all know Lebron is good and that Steve picked the Heat, the 10 minutes of fawning was completely unnecessary.
                "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

bosh's knees will never last that long. i could see wade getting a big injury to that keeps him out. once u loose one of lebron, wade, or bosh for a large ammunt of the season the heat take a step back. somone in the NBA should man up and take on for the league and take out lebron when he goes up on that break away dunk ( just kidding

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    ya the dude had a major crush on the heat. The heat are not even close to unstoppable and they will not win 6 or 7 championships. No one knows if they are going to win this years championship or not, this guys acting like its a sure thing. Btw did anyone notice how much the guy stutters.
                    who cares if he stutters ?? for example , do ppl point out how big ur nose is or how ur " ______ insert word here _____ " looks ugly?
                    Last edited by pesterm1; Wed Jun 8, 2011, 10:05 PM.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                      It's been said that one of Casey's biggest accomplishments is constructing an effective defense in Dallas despite the weaknesses that Dirk and Kidd display on that end of the court. could he work the same magic with Bargnani and Calderon?

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        I hate to disparage phdsteve, but I agree the podcast was a little lacking.

As for his comments about Bargnani, I thought they were completely off the mark. Completely. These playoffs (once again) proved you need good defenders to win, and Bargnani obviously isn't that. And Bargnani has consistently played poorly against Gasol and Dirk throughout his career. And, of course, he's been lit up by most of the rest of the league, as well, with countering that with varying amounts of scoring.
                        Not an Andrea fan, but I remember watching Germany vs Italy during the euro whatever tournament, and Andrea out played Dirk. This was earlier in his career.

This is not an argument against what you say, because I honestly am just remembering ONE game. I wasn't an Andrea fan then, and was kind of expecting him to flop.... but surprisingly he did not.

...and this is what is so frustrating about his game. He can look good, and he can look really bad, when this happens its easy to think that he is not giving effort. In fact I don't think Andrea is a bad player, I just don't think he likes the game beyond making 3pt shots. I think asking him to do other stuff on court, is like asking your video game addicted teenage sun to dig a ditch in the garden. He will do it, but he will drag his ass doing it, and be bitter at you long after the chore is done.

Comment

Raptomist wrote: View Post
                          It's been said that one of Casey's biggest accomplishments is constructing an effective defense in Dallas despite the weaknesses that Dirk and Kidd display on that end of the court. could he work the same magic with Bargnani and Calderon?
                          This comment makes me ill.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                            Not an Andrea fan, but I remember watching Germany vs Italy during the euro whatever tournament, and Andrea out played Dirk. This was earlier in his career.

This is not an argument against what you say, because I honestly am just remembering ONE game. I wasn't an Andrea fan then, and was kind of expecting him to flop.... but surprisingly he did not.

...and this is what is so frustrating about his game. He can look good, and he can look really bad, when this happens its easy to think that he is not giving effort. In fact I don't think Andrea is a bad player, I just don't think he likes the game beyond making 3pt shots. I think asking him to do other stuff on court, is like asking your video game addicted teenage sun to dig a ditch in the garden. He will do it, but he will drag his ass doing it, and be bitter at you long after the chore is done.
                            I've never said Bargnani is a bad player. He's a very skilled offensive one. I just don't think there's much of a place for him on a contender, and if you're building one, then he's got to go.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I agree with you Tim, if he hasn't shown that determination and killer instinct thus far, I don't think we will see it. (Maybe a coach can bring it out, but that is still asking for a lot at this level - Sam stopped talking to him. We are talking Sam 'fucking Mitchell, shutting his trap... that just does not happen that often. We are dealing with stubbornness to the power of stubbornness.)

Give me Andrea's body and skill and I would be playing against Dirk right now.
                              Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed Jun 8, 2011, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X