The Bismack Biyombo Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently he bombed his latest workout:

The workout was a little painful to watch as he missed shot after shot from within 10 feet of the basket. At one point it seemed a little foolish to have him shoot so many shots when it's not the strength of his game. We counted his shots after the first couple minutes and he went something close to 12-of-35 from within 10 feet playing 1-on-none. He was able to redeem himself somewhat by knocking down 9 free throws in a row at one point to finish 14-of-20 towards the end.

Biyombo didn't look nervous but his shooting may have been thrown off to a degree.

The consensus is that the workout surely didn't help his cause and may have hurt him to some degree in terms of being a lottery pick.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/29975266

Comment

Everyone knew he's not a great shooter. The reason you take him is becasue he puts almost everyone on the Raps roster to shame on D and has the potential and physically tools to grow offensive. We need to draft this guy, our O is fine there are plenty of people on the Raps that can score to make up for him but our D (especially interior) is a utter joke.

Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sun Jun 12, 2011, 12:32 AM.

Comment

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...-Day-One-3746/

It wasn't pretty for Bismack Biyombo, who puzzlingly did little more than confirm his clear-cut offensive weaknesses in his workout for talent evaluators. Turnaround jumpers in the key (0/5), elbow jumpers alternating sides (2/10), free throws (23/41) – you name it, he missed it. When he switched to uncontested turnaround hook shots in the paint a few more fell, but he mixed in some air balls for good measure.

On the plus side, Biyombo's body looked great and he's still an athletic freak. His combination of length, strength agility and explosiveness is almost unheard of, causing many to marvel at his physical gifts despite the low-skill level he displayed.

Overall? Nothing new outside of a vividly clear illustration of just how raw his offense is at this point.

One NBA exec put it best: “If you liked Biyombo going into today you are going to be set aside the weaknesses he showed and realize that setting couldn't have been any worse for him. The guy is not a jump-shooter, and no one is going to draft him to be one. You need to see through that. But if you came in here with question marks about him you surely came away with plenty more things to worry about. All in all, people who liked him will continue to, and those who don't will as well.”

Comment

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/0...urocamp-day-1/

The Biyombo workout was interesting as a rare public look at a prospect who has not played in months, after splitting with his team in Spain, and was barely known in the United States even when he was in a lineup. It just wasn’t good. The entire premise was a bad idea. Biyombo, a power forward from the Republic of Congo, is a stud athlete who blocks shots and rebounds. That would have come out in a game, where he could light up the gym by flying around the rim and overpowering opponents. In one-on-none drills, NBA evaluators got to observe bad hands and an offensive game that everyone agrees will be a non-factor in the league, all the way to a bad showing at the line. Dibs on trademarking “Hack a ‘Mack.” Opponents will foul Biyombo every time he has the ball within dunking distance, also known as his maximum shooting range. The encouraging news is that an executive with one team said Biyombo did much better at a recent individual workout in Spain by catching balls a club official purposely threw wild to gauge reaction and hands. But nothing hides the zero offense of a player tracking to the top 10.
          http://www.nbadraft.net/2011-adidas-eurocamp-day-1

Biyombo worked out at 1 o'clock in front of around 50 scouts at La Ghirada after the morning game. I walked up to him just before the workout and introduced myself and said "Hi Bismack, I'm Aran Smith of NBADraft.net". He quickly corrected me that the pronunciation of his name is actually "Bismark". He was extremely friendly and kind and all of the scouts I spoke with rave about his attitude and character. I grabbed a quick photo of him and wished him luck.

The workout was a little painful to watch as he missed shot after shot from within 10 feet of the basket. At one point it seemed a little foolish to have him shoot so many shots when it's not the strength of his game. We counted his shots after the first couple minutes and he went something close to 12-of-35 from within 10 feet playing 1-on-none. He was able to redeem himself somewhat by knocking down 9 free throws in a row at one point to finish 14-of-20 towards the end.

To be fair, this type of workout is difficult as the player is being asked to exert a ton of energy without a break and it's extremely intimidating knowing that so many scouts are watching every move and dissecting your game. It can start to play tricks with a player's head if they aren't mentally tough. Biyombo didn't look nervous but his shooting may have been thrown off to a degree.

He did look extremely athletic exploding to the rim, as expected, and looked good running the floor despite dropping the ball a few times.One scout said during the workout, "This is no different than that (Jeremy) Tyler kid that was here last year."

The consensus is that the workout surely didn't help his cause and may have hurt him to some degree in terms of being a lottery pick. But after speaking with his agent, going as high as possible might not be in his best interest anyway. Finding a fit with a team with the right expectations that can use him correctly is paramount.
          Last edited by jbml; Sun Jun 12, 2011, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Surveyed a lot of NBA teams about where Biyombo & Motiejunas projected to go. Both appear to be in 10-20 range.
            http://twitter.com/#!/chadfordinsider

Comment

Am I the only one that sees a very similar style of game as Reggie Evans? We all know how huge of an impact Reggie has when he is on the court. Now Biyombo is about 13 year younger, hasn't hit the constant injury bug. He can replace Joey Dorsey in the line-up and if Reggie stays (veteran's minimum) he will be a great mentor. I agree he is a project but you can teach offense, however, Biyombo has all the defensive intangibles that the Raptors need and since we are officially rebuilding why not get a second top-10 pick and take a chance. We will have at least one sure thing, and if Biyombo develops into the dominate force I believe he will become in 3 years time (let's not forget he is 18, or so they say) then he will be a steal.

Comment

So much so. I love Reggie's Game. I think Iwould love watching this guy play as well.

What makes Biyombo unique to talent evaluators is his outstanding combination of physical attributes, toughness and intangibles.

No player of record has ever measured a wingspan that is nearly 12 inches longer than his actual height—He also sports a chiseled 243-pound frame (4.8% body fat) that he should have no problem putting additional weight onto.

Biyombo is also an excellent athlete. He runs the floor extremely well and is very explosive around the basket.

What makes Biyombo so interesting, though, is his willingness to utilize his physical tools. He plays the game with incredible emotion (think Joakim Noah or Kevin Garnett), often putting opposing players and teammates in harm's way with his desire to make his presence felt. He competes on every possession, often to the point of physical exhaustion, something that will need to be honed. Still, it's an extremely desirable trait in a prospect.

..... his understanding of Fuenlabrada's half-court offense, which appears to be very good.

With that said, defensive ability is the area of Biyombo's game where NBA teams see the most potential -- both in the short and long term.

He has the size, length and mobility to guard both power forwards and centers in today's NBA, particularly as he adds weight. He can step out and hedge screens effectively on the pick-and-roll and is tough and aggressive enough to hold his own in the paint against most back-to-the-basket players.

Biyombo is also one of the best rebounders in the ACB. His length, aggressiveness, toughness, timing and athleticism are all great rebounding qualities. He has no problem going out of his area for loose balls, especially on the offensive glass.

He stood out as the most vocal players on the International team over the course of the week at the Nike Hoop Summit, assuming a position of leadership almost immediately upon arrival. You would often see him having tactical discussions between plays with the coaching staff, and he was quick to take teammates aside and explain the nuances of a play to them when something got lost in translation.

Comment

EleventhDragon wrote: View Post
                  Am I the only one that sees a very similar style of game as Reggie Evans? We all know how huge of an impact Reggie has when he is on the court. Now Biyombo is about 13 year younger, hasn't hit the constant injury bug. He can replace Joey Dorsey in the line-up and if Reggie stays (veteran's minimum) he will be a great mentor. I agree he is a project but you can teach offense, however, Biyombo has all the defensive intangibles that the Raptors need and since we are officially rebuilding why not get a second top-10 pick and take a chance. We will have at least one sure thing, and if Biyombo develops into the dominate force I believe he will become in 3 years time (let's not forget he is 18, or so they say) then he will be a steal.
                  I'll actually buy the Reggie Evans argument, that doesn't mean that the Raptors should use a lottery pick on him. IIRC, Evans was undrafted.

And the bit about replacing Joey Dorsey, c'mon, what does that even mean. If you really want to "take a chance", take it with one of those European guys whose games have the potential to expand both ways.

It's tough to say where he'll end up, but from basically every "expert" he's gotten very so-so reviews.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                    I'll actually buy the Reggie Evans argument, that doesn't mean that the Raptors should use a lottery pick on him. IIRC, Evans was undrafted.

And the bit about replacing Joey Dorsey, c'mon, what does that even mean. If you really want to "take a chance", take it with one of those European guys whose games have the potential to expand both ways.

It's tough to say where he'll end up, but from basically every "expert" he's gotten very so-so reviews.

I admit. Even asking to get him in the top-10 is asking a bit much, but in a draft of many unknown, it seems that the only real defensive minded players are, Biyombo (18), Kahwi Leonard (19), and Chris Singleton (21). So if we use #5 to get a Knight or Walker (I personally think we should pick him here), then why not get a #10 - #15 for one of those 3 guys. My only problem with Leonard and Singleton is they are SF which with Kleiza coming back and Johnson already a decent defensive forward they may be muted choices. I admit Biyombo should probably go more in the 15+ range (Chad Ford has him going 14 to Houston) with all the uncertainty, but on a team that is building and with all the defensive and leadership abilities he has (and we lack) I think he could have the same affect that a Garbojosa had when he played. We all know that Ed Davis is probably going to be the starting 4 in a few years, so wouldn't it be great to have a starter and a bench player get double doubles on a regular basis and protect Bargs from his defensive inabilities? Don't forget we also have the trade exception, and depending on how the CBA comes out a nice chunk of money to pick up defensive minded vets to help round out the roster. Although this draft is going to help the Raptors move forward it isn't going to be the determining factor moving forward, so why not gamble on a Biyombo?

Comment

EleventhDragon wrote: View Post
                      I admit. Even asking to get him in the top-10 is asking a bit much, but in a draft of many unknown, it seems that the only real defensive minded players are, Biyombo (18), Kahwi Leonard (19), and Chris Singleton (21). So if we use #5 to get a Knight or Walker (I personally think we should pick him here), then why not get a #10 - #15 for one of those 3 guys. My only problem with Leonard and Singleton is they are SF which with Kleiza coming back and Johnson already a decent defensive forward they may be muted choices. I admit Biyombo should probably go more in the 15+ range (Chad Ford has him going 14 to Houston) with all the uncertainty, but on a team that is building and with all the defensive and leadership abilities he has (and we lack) I think he could have the same affect that a Garbojosa had when he played. We all know that Ed Davis is probably going to be the starting 4 in a few years, so wouldn't it be great to have a starter and a bench player get double doubles on a regular basis and protect Bargs from his defensive inabilities? Don't forget we also have the trade exception, and depending on how the CBA comes out a nice chunk of money to pick up defensive minded vets to help round out the roster. Although this draft is going to help the Raptors move forward it isn't going to be the determining factor moving forward, so why not gamble on a Biyombo?
                      I don't think Ed Davis and Biyombo would really be a good pairing. Davis is obviously the future at PF, for the Raptors, so it wouldn't make sense to get a guy who doesn't compliment Davis very well.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        The questions I have about Biyombo revolve around his real age and whether he simply has enough basic skills to play in the NBA. And I simply have not seen enough of him at all to be able to have any idea where I'd draft him. He's pretty much a complete unknown to me. Just based on the scouting reports, I'd certainly think about drafting him at 5 if Kanter (who I've seen more of) is gone.

Cool, thanks for answering my question!

As for me, I don't think I'd take him at 5, but wouldn't have a problem trying to get him with a later pick. However, what do we have to give up to get that second pick? Unless that deal is a good one, it's not worth it.
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Chad Ford (ESPN Insider) take on Biyombo at Eurocamp:

Bismack Biyombo was the main attraction at this year's Eurocamp. On the court, he disappointed. Biyombo decided to skip the game and drill portion of the camp, and instead did a one-on-none workout in front of 100 or so NBA scouts and GMs.

While Biyombo is a fantastic athlete, and has a crazy 7-foot-6 wingspan, an NBA body and speed … these sort of workouts aren't ideal for him. Biyombo looked understandably nervous and it seemed to affect his game. Much of the workout focused on his perimeter skills -- a major weakness of Biyombo. He missed roughly 75 to 80 percent of the shots he took in this portion of the workout.

He was better when he showed his speed, power and ability to dunk the basketball. Had the workout been geared toward big men, he likely would've shown better. In fact, several NBA sources who saw his workouts in Spain said he looked better when NBA teams were allowed to ask him to do specific big man drills.

Unfortunately, the workout didn't focus him in that direction. Instead of being reminded of why so many fell in love with him at the Nike Hoop Summit -- his amazing rebounding and shot-blocking -- we were shown his weaknesses for roughly 30 minutes.

As one GM summed it up, "Bismack Biyombo played one-against-none today … and he lost."

It's a funny quip, but probably isn't very accurate. The workout is unlikely to hurt him. NBA teams that have done their homework understand his strengths and weaknesses. They know he's a player you draft for defense, rebounding and size -- not to shoot the basketball.

I've also heard a number of reports from NBA teams that he looked much better in Spain and knocked it out of the park in his interviews. I had the chance to sit down with him for almost an hour and I see the appeal. He's smart, articulate and has a really amazing story. I'll chime in on that more Tuesday in a full feature on Biyombo.

As for his draft stock, I still think he goes somewhere between 8 and 20. That is, admittedly, a pretty wide range with just 10 days to go before the draft. The Pistons are giving him a long look at the high side, as are the Cavs, Bobcats, Bucks, Jazz, Rockets, Sixers and Knicks. I doubt he slides past the Wolves at No. 20. Biyombo is a risk on the high end of the draft. But his physical talents along with his production in the ACB this year suggest, at the very minimum, he'll have a long career in the league as a defensive stopper in the paint.

Comment

Whoever ran that workout for him should be fired. It doesn't take a genius to realize that he needs to showoff his strengths, not his weaknesses.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I think we need someone that can dominate the low post rather than another guy that can defend the low post... Davis and Amir are decent defenders, i really don't think Biyombo will be that much better than davis defensively and i don't see davis being a threat in the low post with his current skills and size

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                Whoever ran that workout for him should be fired. It doesn't take a genius to realize that he needs to showoff his strengths, not his weaknesses.
                                Maybe that was intended. Make his stock drop so that one of the later picks could snatch him.

Comment

Working...
                                X