Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN: Mo Cheeks is being considred for Raptors head coach.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN: Mo Cheeks is being considred for Raptors head coach.

And then there were 3...

"Lawrence Frank and Dwane Casey are on the Toronto Raptors' list of coaching candidates, but sources say there is a strong third candidate: Oklahoma City Thunder assistant coach Maurice Cheeks.

The Raptors are not expected to make a decision on their coach until GM Bryan Colangelo returns from a scouting trip in Europe. They are also expected to wait until they can interview Mavericks assistant coach Casey, after the NBA Finals.

Cheeks, 54, has a career record of 284-286 as a head coach over six-plus seasons, splitting time between the Portland Trail Blazers and Philadelphia 76ers. He last coached the Sixers in 2008 before joining the Thunder under coach Scottie Brooks. "

*SOURCE:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6646004

I could see cheeks being a head assistant or something..

I still think that Casey is still the favorite but, Cheeks goes with the whole experience and pedigree that BryCo was talking about when he fired JT. 284-286 is not bad actually with the teams his had. His used to working with young teams to and taking them to the playoffs.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

i still think its gonna be Casey too. i could see cheeks being an assistant coach though.

Comment

Mo Cheeks?

Looks like he is in the mix. ESPN is reporting the Raptors have interest, I would not mind Cheeks. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...e=NBAHeadlines
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I'd be down with cheeks for sure
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

threads already been made.

Comment

Missed it......can a mod merge.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I would take Casey or Cheeks over Frank.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Cheeks seems too laid back. We need a Casey type especially for Mr. Bargs. I remember that Cheeks had problems controlling AI. Lol. Who didn't?

Comment

He's a players coach. All his teams have been very competitive.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If Casey is our head coach next year, the playoffs will come soon after that

Comment

In the discussions of head coaches for GS, Raps and Pistons I was kind of surprised that no one mentioned Patrick Ewing or that he hasn't been considered. Patrick is one one of the best centres ever, HOF, has had some assistant coaching experience under an excellent coach SVG, and was key in Orlando reaching the NBA finals in 2009. He really aspires to be a coach. I was pretty surprised that GS would take Mark Jackson and not even interview Patrick. Maybe he will have some luck in Detroit?
                        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

I think it will be Frank as I have from the beginning. I remember when he was hired in NJ and how many times he out coached the Raptors and simply made us look silly. Here is some video of him coaching the Celtics, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTmcSs_bf08. I don't think experience of being a head coach for 5 years should be undervalued. He is a young, talented coach who deserves another chance as Doc Rivers has repeatedly said. Coming from Boston, he can teach our Young Gunz or whatever the hell they are called, how to do things from vets who have won a championship. There is a reason Dwane Casey has been interviewed many times and hasn't been hired. Maurice Cheeks is a decent second option, but I don't think he can take us to the next level.

Comment

I would love for Patrick Ewing to be this teams coach. He is my all-time favourite player. I think he is sort of black listed in the NBA though. I don;t know if it is because he was president during the last labour dispute or what,but he doesn't get a fair chance. He's been coached by some of the greats (Riley, Thompson, Don Nelson, Van Gundy), so he must have picked up some good mentoring during his career.

Alas, this thread is about Cheeks, and I support this hire. He was a defensive minded player and a defensive coach. He has class (which this franchise values), and he could really mentor these players. I think free agents would come play for this guy. I'm crossing my fingers!

Comment

I just youtubed when Cheeks helped the young girl who forgot the words to the national anthem and it's really touching.
                              As far as coaching the Raps goes I think he's got everything they're looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X