Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN: Mo Cheeks is being considred for Raptors head coach.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did we forget Cheeks?!

I'd be very happy if we settled on Cheeks for HC.
    Always liked his teams. They play with grit, and they play defense.

Comment

I mentioned Cheeks in a post the day after JT got fired. He's the man!

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
        I mentioned Cheeks in a post the day after JT got fired. He's the man!
        I remember

Comment

if we cant get adelman or JVG then i want casey the dallas D has been simply amazing, just imagine the raps playing D like that
          ya dun noe

Comment

I wish Adelmans name was being rumored as well but i can't complain with the three names getting most of the media attention. This will be the most exciting hire since Lenny Wilkins.

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
              if we cant get adelman or JVG then i want casey the dallas D has been simply amazing, just imagine the raps playing D like that
              I think having Tyson Chandler, Marion and JKidd in the lineup helps with that as well... haha

Comment

One question. Which is better: Mo Cheeks or Mo Shats????

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  I think having Tyson Chandler, Marion and JKidd in the lineup helps with that as well... haha
                  Therein lies the risk too. Casey can try all he wants to replicate that defense but we don't have the talent so he'll have to be extremely patient. And along the way, we are going to lose, and lose and lose. And because Casey is not the most crafty guy from an offensive standpoint, there is a real danger that the young kids will eventually tune him out. Not because is it's fault, but because we're still going to lose and it's not going to be fun because the offense will be stagnant.

That's why I still think Frank is better choice. He might not have the defensive prowess of a Casey, but he's pretty good, and I think he provides a better balance. I think the young guys on our team will find his system far more rewarding than Casey's and thus respect will come quicker.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    Therein lies the risk too. Casey can try all he wants to replicate that defense but we don't have the talent so he'll have to be extremely patient. And along the way, we are going to lose, and lose and lose. And because Casey is not the most crafty guy from an offensive standpoint, there is a real danger that the young kids will eventually tune him out. Not because is it's fault, but because we're still going to lose and it's not going to be fun because the offense will be stagnant.

That's why I still think Frank is better choice. He might not have the defensive prowess of a Casey, but he's pretty good, and I think he provides a better balance. I think the young guys on our team will find his system far more rewarding than Casey's and thus respect will come quicker.
                    You can't have it both ways.

On one hand you are saying we are not a defensive team, so we don't have the personnel to play to Casey's style. On the other hand, (many would consider us an offensive team), you say that regardless of personnel it is the coaching that predicates how good our offence is.

I am leaning towards Casey. I think we will be more than fine.
                    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Fri Jun 10, 2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Mo is a solid coach. He's better than most that the team has employed in the past...

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                        You can't have it both ways.

On one hand you are saying we are not a defensive team, so we don't have the personnel to play to Casey's style. On the other hand, (many would consider us an offensive team), you say that regardless of personnel it is the coaching that predicates how good our offence is.

I am leaning towards Casey. I think we will be more than fine.
                        I think you're underestimating the effect a coach will have on both sides of the ball. In 2002, we averaged 90.9 ppg as a team with a starting lineup of VC, Mo Pete, AD, Alvin and JYD. The following year under Kevin O'Neill (a similarly defensive specializing coach) we averaged just 85 ppg, and the only difference to the starting lineup was Donyell Marshall and Jalen Rose in place of Antonio Davis and Jerome Williams. Now you tell me, based on just the players alone, who should produce more points -- AD and JYD or Donyell and Jalen? I could also add the fact that VC only played 40 games in the previous season compared to 75 in the following with O'Neill. Yet the scoring production as a team dropped by 5 points per game.

Casey may not be as rigid as O'Neill, but he comes from a similar mold in that he is a purely defensive guy. Casey took a 16th ranked offense in Minnesota and turned it into a 28th ranked offense. That's with a healthy Kevin Garnett.

I'm not saying Casey will be a disaster as a head coach. I think that defensively he is very good. What I am saying, though, is that this team is still a few years away from competing, and they're very young. When they are suddenly forced to play stingy, disciplined defense they are not going to have much fun. Especially when they buy into the system but continue to lose and lose and lose. A veteran team is more likely to set feelings aside and work at it because they'll be able to see the bigger picture. Whereas a younger team there is more danger of eventually tuning out the new coach because in their eyes the system just ain't working. With a younger team, you need to have more creativity offensively (as well as defensively), and make it fun for the players.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          I think you're underestimating the effect a coach will have on both sides of the ball. In 2002, we averaged 90.9 ppg as a team with a starting lineup of VC, Mo Pete, AD, Alvin and JYD. The following year under Kevin O'Neill (a similarly defensive specializing coach) we averaged just 85 ppg, and the only difference to the starting lineup was Donyell Marshall and Jalen Rose in place of Antonio Davis and Jerome Williams. Now you tell me, based on just the players alone, who should produce more points -- AD and JYD or Donyell and Jalen? I could also add the fact that VC only played 40 games in the previous season compared to 75 in the following with O'Neill. Yet the scoring production as a team dropped by 5 points per game.

Casey may not be as rigid as O'Neill, but he comes from a similar mold in that he is a purely defensive guy. Casey took a 16th ranked offense in Minnesota and turned it into a 28th ranked offense. That's with a healthy Kevin Garnett.

I'm not saying Casey will be a disaster as a head coach. I think that defensively he is very good. What I am saying, though, is that this team is still a few years away from competing, and they're very young. When they are suddenly forced to play stingy, disciplined defense they are not going to have much fun. Especially when they buy into the system but continue to lose and lose and lose. A veteran team is more likely to set feelings aside and work at it because they'll be able to see the bigger picture. Whereas a younger team there is more danger of eventually tuning out the new coach because in their eyes the system just ain't working. With a younger team, you need to have more creativity offensively (as well as defensively), and make it fun for the players.
                          I don't think you're giving the players enough credit. These young guys aren't all stupid. You don't think that they know they need to improve their defense? It's in like, every post game interview with these guys. They know defense wins games, they know that's how the Heat and Bulls killed almost everyone this year.

It's better to install a solid defense and to win more than to make sure the young players are having 'fun'.

Winning is fun.
                          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I approve of hiring Mo.
                            “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

If Miami Heat lose and it certainly looks like they will, I can see Erik Spolestra being cut... do any of you see him as being a good coach for Toronto?

Comment

Let's not forget: The Mavs D became better when Chandler arrived. Also, Casey has Stevenson and Marion as lockdown defenders. I'm not saying Triano shouldn't have been fired, but it would have been interested to see Toronto's D had they kept Marion and got the trade for Chandler.

Cheeks seems interesting. Casey is being worshiped a little too much IMO.
                                Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Working...
                                X