Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: ESPN: Mo Cheeks is being considred for Raptors head coach.

  1. #21
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hassan wrote: View Post
    if we cant get adelman or JVG then i want casey the dallas D has been simply amazing, just imagine the raps playing D like that
    I think having Tyson Chandler, Marion and JKidd in the lineup helps with that as well... haha
    In Masai we Trust.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    One question. Which is better: Mo Cheeks or Mo Shats????

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I think having Tyson Chandler, Marion and JKidd in the lineup helps with that as well... haha
    Therein lies the risk too. Casey can try all he wants to replicate that defense but we don't have the talent so he'll have to be extremely patient. And along the way, we are going to lose, and lose and lose. And because Casey is not the most crafty guy from an offensive standpoint, there is a real danger that the young kids will eventually tune him out. Not because is it's fault, but because we're still going to lose and it's not going to be fun because the offense will be stagnant.

    That's why I still think Frank is better choice. He might not have the defensive prowess of a Casey, but he's pretty good, and I think he provides a better balance. I think the young guys on our team will find his system far more rewarding than Casey's and thus respect will come quicker.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Therein lies the risk too. Casey can try all he wants to replicate that defense but we don't have the talent so he'll have to be extremely patient. And along the way, we are going to lose, and lose and lose. And because Casey is not the most crafty guy from an offensive standpoint, there is a real danger that the young kids will eventually tune him out. Not because is it's fault, but because we're still going to lose and it's not going to be fun because the offense will be stagnant.

    That's why I still think Frank is better choice. He might not have the defensive prowess of a Casey, but he's pretty good, and I think he provides a better balance. I think the young guys on our team will find his system far more rewarding than Casey's and thus respect will come quicker.
    You can't have it both ways.

    On one hand you are saying we are not a defensive team, so we don't have the personnel to play to Casey's style. On the other hand, (many would consider us an offensive team), you say that regardless of personnel it is the coaching that predicates how good our offence is.


    I am leaning towards Casey. I think we will be more than fine.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Fri Jun 10th, 2011 at 12:07 PM.

  5. #25
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mo is a solid coach. He's better than most that the team has employed in the past...

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
    You can't have it both ways.

    On one hand you are saying we are not a defensive team, so we don't have the personnel to play to Casey's style. On the other hand, (many would consider us an offensive team), you say that regardless of personnel it is the coaching that predicates how good our offence is.

    I am leaning towards Casey. I think we will be more than fine.
    I think you're underestimating the effect a coach will have on both sides of the ball. In 2002, we averaged 90.9 ppg as a team with a starting lineup of VC, Mo Pete, AD, Alvin and JYD. The following year under Kevin O'Neill (a similarly defensive specializing coach) we averaged just 85 ppg, and the only difference to the starting lineup was Donyell Marshall and Jalen Rose in place of Antonio Davis and Jerome Williams. Now you tell me, based on just the players alone, who should produce more points -- AD and JYD or Donyell and Jalen? I could also add the fact that VC only played 40 games in the previous season compared to 75 in the following with O'Neill. Yet the scoring production as a team dropped by 5 points per game.

    Casey may not be as rigid as O'Neill, but he comes from a similar mold in that he is a purely defensive guy. Casey took a 16th ranked offense in Minnesota and turned it into a 28th ranked offense. That's with a healthy Kevin Garnett.

    I'm not saying Casey will be a disaster as a head coach. I think that defensively he is very good. What I am saying, though, is that this team is still a few years away from competing, and they're very young. When they are suddenly forced to play stingy, disciplined defense they are not going to have much fun. Especially when they buy into the system but continue to lose and lose and lose. A veteran team is more likely to set feelings aside and work at it because they'll be able to see the bigger picture. Whereas a younger team there is more danger of eventually tuning out the new coach because in their eyes the system just ain't working. With a younger team, you need to have more creativity offensively (as well as defensively), and make it fun for the players.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I think you're underestimating the effect a coach will have on both sides of the ball. In 2002, we averaged 90.9 ppg as a team with a starting lineup of VC, Mo Pete, AD, Alvin and JYD. The following year under Kevin O'Neill (a similarly defensive specializing coach) we averaged just 85 ppg, and the only difference to the starting lineup was Donyell Marshall and Jalen Rose in place of Antonio Davis and Jerome Williams. Now you tell me, based on just the players alone, who should produce more points -- AD and JYD or Donyell and Jalen? I could also add the fact that VC only played 40 games in the previous season compared to 75 in the following with O'Neill. Yet the scoring production as a team dropped by 5 points per game.

    Casey may not be as rigid as O'Neill, but he comes from a similar mold in that he is a purely defensive guy. Casey took a 16th ranked offense in Minnesota and turned it into a 28th ranked offense. That's with a healthy Kevin Garnett.

    I'm not saying Casey will be a disaster as a head coach. I think that defensively he is very good. What I am saying, though, is that this team is still a few years away from competing, and they're very young. When they are suddenly forced to play stingy, disciplined defense they are not going to have much fun. Especially when they buy into the system but continue to lose and lose and lose. A veteran team is more likely to set feelings aside and work at it because they'll be able to see the bigger picture. Whereas a younger team there is more danger of eventually tuning out the new coach because in their eyes the system just ain't working. With a younger team, you need to have more creativity offensively (as well as defensively), and make it fun for the players.
    I don't think you're giving the players enough credit. These young guys aren't all stupid. You don't think that they know they need to improve their defense? It's in like, every post game interview with these guys. They know defense wins games, they know that's how the Heat and Bulls killed almost everyone this year.

    It's better to install a solid defense and to win more than to make sure the young players are having 'fun'.

    Winning is fun.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Starter bloodyhandedgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I approve of hiring Mo.
    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Rookie KingRaptors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If Miami Heat lose and it certainly looks like they will, I can see Erik Spolestra being cut... do any of you see him as being a good coach for Toronto?

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Let's not forget: The Mavs D became better when Chandler arrived. Also, Casey has Stevenson and Marion as lockdown defenders. I'm not saying Triano shouldn't have been fired, but it would have been interested to see Toronto's D had they kept Marion and got the trade for Chandler.

    Cheeks seems interesting. Casey is being worshiped a little too much IMO.

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    I don't think you're giving the players enough credit. These young guys aren't all stupid. You don't think that they know they need to improve their defense?
    I'm thinking Andrea. I'm thinking Sonny. I'm thinking J Johnson's declining defensive effort as the season wore on. And then I start thinking "These guys just might be stupid."

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm not sure I'd call Marion or Stevenson "lockdown" defenders at this point in their careers...
    @jerboat

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If anything I'm surprised by Marions offense
    @jerboat

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm not really sure why Stevenson is getting more minutes than Brewer, to he honest.
    @jerboat

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Considering how the Mavs just shut down the Heat with some crunch time D, I think Casey has the job.

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I'm not really sure why Stevenson is getting more minutes than Brewer, to he honest.
    because he's lights out

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    in retrospect how dumb was i suggesting the mavs should change up substitutions when nothing was broken
    @jerboat

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Now that the playoffs have unfolded this way...I have a sneaky suspicion that Miami will can Spoelstra, especially after seeing him fail to make any adjustments to Dallas in the final 3 games of the series. A little Spoelstra anyone?? lol

    Then we can have Filipino day at the ACC!

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ErnieD wrote: View Post
    I'm thinking Andrea. I'm thinking Sonny. I'm thinking J Johnson's declining defensive effort as the season wore on. And then I start thinking "These guys just might be stupid."
    I agree. In fact, I'd love to see these guys' transcripts and major specialization. Guaranteed Weems didnt graduate anything other than swimming pool mamangement. Barg's didnt even go to college! James Johnson may know karate, but I doubt he could spell it!

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote visko23 wrote: View Post
    I agree. In fact, I'd love to see these guys' transcripts and major specialization. Guaranteed Weems didnt graduate anything other than swimming pool mamangement. Barg's didnt even go to college! James Johnson may know karate, but I doubt he could spell it!
    Last time I checked, you didn't have to go to college to be able to read and write. Nothing is ever that black and white. I've met college grads with questionable reading and writing skills.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •