Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barbosa is looking at Brazilian team offers

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Barbosa is looking at Brazilian team offers

Apparently hoopshype is saying barbosa might opt out of his contract and try signing for a team in Brazil. He probably is worried about a lockout and figures he is better off playing there. as great of a player barbosa is i wouldnt mid if he opted out. Raps would save alot and nmight be able to get a better player in FA.

SOURCE :

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra ... an-option/

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    Apparently hoopshype is saying barbosa might opt out of his contract and try signing for a team in Brazil. He probably is worried about a lockout and figures he is better off playing there. as great of a player barbosa is i wouldnt mid if he opted out. Raps would save alot and nmight be able to get a better player in FA.

SOURCE :

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra ... an-option/
    The Raptors won't get a better free agent than Barbosa, and the money the team saves won't matter much. I think he's way, way more valuable to the team as a trade asset at the deadline than as an expiring contract that will allow the Raptors to spend more money on a free agent. Loads of teams will be under the cap and most of them have a better record, roster and situation than Toronto. Good players aren't going to sign with a 22 win team unless you massively overpay them. And even then it's doubtful the Raptors would even make it back to the playoffs, so what's really the point?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    The Raptors won't get a better free agent than Barbosa, and the money the team saves won't matter much. I think he's way, way more valuable to the team as a trade asset at the deadline than as an expiring contract that will allow the Raptors to spend more money on a free agent. Loads of teams will be under the cap and most of them have a better record, roster and situation than Toronto. Good players aren't going to sign with a 22 win team unless you massively overpay them. And even then it's doubtful the Raptors would even make it back to the playoffs, so what's really the point?
    Yup, except that he should've been dealt last deadline as everyone had hoped. As you said, the Raps aren't in a position to attract major free-agents so the cap room they'd save means little.

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was really surprised that he wasn't dealt last deadline too. God knows the Raps weren't going anywhere, and many a playoff team could have used his talents. Would Chicago have rolled over and played dead with Miami if they had Barbosa?
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    I was really surprised that he wasn't dealt last deadline too. God knows the Raps weren't going anywhere, and many a playoff team could have used his talents. Would Chicago have rolled over and played dead with Miami if they had Barbosa?
    We probably didn't get the right offer. I'd rather keep him than trade him away for the sake of trading.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Yup, except that he should've been dealt last deadline as everyone had hoped. As you said, the Raps aren't in a position to attract major free-agents so the cap room they'd save means little.
    Had he been healthy, I think he would have been dealt. His wrist injury, I think, pretty much killed any chances of getting a half decent return for him. At around the trade deadline, I don't think anyone was even sure he would last the rest of the season.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Except cap room isn't only used to lure free agents. It is also a valuable tool when it comes to completing trades. When teams are over the cap, salaries must match within 125% + 100K. Take $7.6M off the cap and that is $7.6M that does not have to be sent out in a trade.

Bottom line: cap room is more than free agents.