Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Casey and Chandler to the Raps?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Casey and Chandler to the Raps?

Do you think Chandler would be interested in following Casey to the Raps if he, Casey was hired as the head coach of here?

Post Thanks / Like

No
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Pure speculation. Moved this to the trade proposal sub-forum.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA , N...........O....... if i was chandler there is no chance in hell id move to TO instead of Dallas just to follow the ast. coach. Would u ?

Raptors Republic Starter OzRapFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

While there is no way he would come just to follow Casey, it probably would be a tick in his "FOR" column if he was considering such a move.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

For a 4 year, 60 million dollar contract? Yeah, I say he would come!

With Haywood and that other young center they have, I don't know if they would re-sign Chandler to a big contract. I think they would rather keep Barrea and Caron Butler (I think that a lineup of Barrea, Terry, Butler, Marion and Dirk would be devastating to the heat).

But how much would/should the Raps be willing to spend on Chandler?

Post Thanks / Like

Negative

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how anyone could just be saying a straight up no.. I mean it is Toronto but give me a break. We're an young team that already tried to pick him up earlier in the season and it would of worked if it wasn't for MJ. At the time, I'm pretty sure every Raptor fan was pretty excited to see Chandler come in and be the C we have been looking for, with Bargs moving to the PF. We are in desperate need of a C and I'm 100% that BC will push for Chandler.. he will no doubt be the starting C here, and if Casey ends up being the coach here I'm pretty sure we'd look alot more inticing. After his season and playoffs he will command a big amount of $ which could be a problem for many teams including Dallas.. I understand Toronto isn't the best destination for many American players but don't underestimate all the factors that could come into play.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to have Chandler on the team but he will be 29 at the start of next season and has an injury history that only cleared itself up in a contract year - that is worrisome to me.

Also, if he is the C and Bargnani stays - what happens to ED? If Bargnani goes and Chandler is brought in, who scores on that front line of ED and Chandler?

Do not forget this team only won 22 games last year. How good is it to sign Chandler to win 8 more?

Signing Chandler would be a short term benefit (1-2 seasons) and long term detriment (3 plus seasons).

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

All defensive team speaks out wonders to me for a raptors team.. so I think he could make a huge difference. My comment about Bargs to the PF was earlier in the season before Ed got solid minutes.. I'm not a big Bargs fan as it is so I would be fine with trading him if we got a solid player in return.. but I think if Tyson is brought in it will change the atmosphere of the team and can instill a defensive presence to the team. I'd be fine with Tyson, Reggie, Ed, and Amir as a 4 man rotation.. I think Davis' offensive game is not bad and I think it will improve with more minutes, and Amir's offense has been gettin better each year.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I also would not compare last seasons record to this years team. How many roster changes did we have? How many players did we experiment with? How many man-games did we lose to injury? And if you think adding Chandler and after another year of team development that we would only win 30 games then we mind as well just not even try then right?

Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'd like to have Chandler on the team but he will be 29 at the start of next season and has an injury history that only cleared itself up in a contract year - that is worrisome to me.

Also, if he is the C and Bargnani stays - what happens to ED? If Bargnani goes and Chandler is brought in, who scores on that front line of ED and Chandler?

Do not forget this team only won 22 games last year. How good is it to sign Chandler to win 8 more?

Signing Chandler would be a short term benefit (1-2 seasons) and long term detriment (3 plus seasons).
    The Raptors need some veteran presence. And why not trade one of Amir or Ed? If Toronto has Chandler and Bargnani, the team doesn't need Amir or Davis. And if Bargnani is traded, it gives Ed a chance to improve his offensive game, and we all saw Amir develop that jumper late last season. That should only continue to improve.

Also, having a guy like Chandler could really instil a sense of defensive responsibility and allow the team to better hide Bargnani's shortcomings. I'm all for signing him, although I doubt he's going to leave the Mavs after a title unless it's for big money. And he's going to want at least 10 million a season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote 10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
    The Raptors need some veteran presence. And why not trade one of Amir or Ed? If Toronto has Chandler and Bargnani, the team doesn't need Amir or Davis. And if Bargnani is traded, it gives Ed a chance to improve his offensive game, and we all saw Amir develop that jumper late last season. That should only continue to improve.

Also, having a guy like Chandler could really instil a sense of defensive responsibility and allow the team to better hide Bargnani's shortcomings. I'm all for signing him, although I doubt he's going to leave the Mavs after a title unless it's for big money. And he's going to want at least 10 million a season.
    I know what the arguments of signing him are. The arguments for not signing him are much convincing.

Look at the number of teams with a lot of money tied up in players who, while good, are not all-stars. I'd rather suffer through a couple of seasons to set up a foundation with a team that would be a contender rather than settle for low playoff seeds. The ceiling on signing Chandler would be low playoff seeds in my opinion.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey's not a lock to be here. Detroit wants him too. Chandler already got his max money and with a chance to repeat (and if kept intact, I believe that the Mavs can), he'll re-sign for less money to stay. He already got his fat contract. Playing for the last one could yield him more cash than he can imagine (10 Mil per for another 2 years) but coming to the Raps? Why? The team has pieces but the franchise will be dysfunctional for a while. Mike Malone has been snagged as an assistant, Cho as a GM, stuff is happening everywhere while BC sips his Sangria somewhere in Spain and Bargs is packing it in somewhere in Mexico.

Yea, those guys can't wait to come here.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I know what the arguments of signing him are. The arguments for not signing him are much convincing.

Look at the number of teams with a lot of money tied up in players who, while good, are not all-stars. I'd rather suffer through a couple of seasons to set up a foundation with a team that would be a contender rather than settle for low playoff seeds. The ceiling on signing Chandler would be low playoff seeds in my opinion.
    I don't really understand your logic on this one. What do you suggest gets done? It's been known we need a defensive C for years now.. can you name someone in the league who could fill the void at C for us better than he would for less or same $? I'm not sayin BC should blow the bank on Chandler but from what it seems like you don't want the team to improve, and improve the position that we need to the most. Suffer through a couple seasons? Raps fans have been suffering.. we want the team to get better now. I don't know what arguments are more convincing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Akinyele wrote: View Post
    I don't really understand your logic on this one. What do you suggest gets done? It's been known we need a defensive C for years now.. can you name someone in the league who could fill the void at C for us better than he would for less or same $? I'm not sayin BC should blow the bank on Chandler but from what it seems like you don't want the team to improve, and improve the position that we need to the most. Suffer through a couple seasons? Raps fans have been suffering.. we want the team to get better now. I don't know what arguments are more convincing
    Signing Chandler, who will be 29 next season, helps in the near term to win a few more games. However we are talking about a 22 win team that was also one of the youngest in the league. Let the young players develop and improve. Signing an injury prone C to a huge contract - which will be his last one - is not smart. Are Raptors fans going to be much more cheerful with a 30 win team, that has no cap space, and is picking at 8-12?

A big part of the Raptors suffering has been trying to piece together a team and reach maximum potential in the here and now. It was done with VC/McGrady and it was done with Bosh. We keep trying to build a team to get players to stay or take satisfication in making the playoffs versus building a team that will have a foundation to compete for years to come.

Unfortunately, to sign Chandler it will take BC blowing the bank - and that is my problem. For the amount of money it would take to sign Chandler, the Raps would be better off looking at DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol through restricted free agency or drafting Kanter or Valanciunas. Of course the biggest reason the Raps have needed a legit C in recent years is because we've had Bosh and Bargnani - neither of whom are physical or defensively inclined (especially Bargnani).

The reason for bringing in Chandler is lo once again lighten the responsibilitiy and load for Bargnani because it is obvious he isn't up to doing his part. Fans have been fed up for years, it appears teammates are now fed up, and even Colangelo is starting to get fed up. Maybe we can erase this 'need' of Chandler by getting rid of root of the problem.

By the way, if Chandler was 25/26 and did not have the injury history he does, I would advocate for this signing. Unforutnately he will be 29 this coming season, likely 31 or 32 and past his peak when ED, DD, and whoever they draft this year and next are ready to compete.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to build a team based on making anyone stay, as I have my own personal thoughts of how a team should be built, I'm all for old-school defensive C's.. and I believe he could make a bigger difference than you believe. I think the raps should win 30 games even if they don't have Chandler next year so I'm still surprised you think they'll only win that many games. The contract would be an issue, but Marc Gasol in my opinion should command more, and D Jordan seems untouchable.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Akinyele;88120]
    I'm not trying to build a team based on making anyone stay, as I have my own personal thoughts of how a team should be built, I'm all for old-school defensive C's..
    The getting players to stay was the driving factor but the end result was the same: mediocrity. I would like to see patience and perseverance in building a team to compete for years rather than get a player that might take us to 30-40 wins.

and I believe he could make a bigger difference than you believe. I think the raps should win 30 games even if they don't have Chandler next year so I'm still surprised you think they'll only win that many games.
    The Raps might win 30 as is considering a new coach and draft pick and the injuries this season. However, 30 is still awful. Even if Chandler takes us to 40, and that is a big if, we are still outside the playoffs or out in the first round with a 12-16 draft pick awaiting. The key to rebuilding, especially in a soon to be more restrictive CBA environment is flexibility - Chandler would kill the flexibility and hardly make us a legit playoff team - let alone a contender.

The contract would be an issue, but Marc Gasol in my opinion should command more, and D Jordan seems untouchable.
    They probably are both untouchable as they are restricted free agents. Ideally we can draft Kanter and he reaches his potential. The pairing of him and Davis appear to be, in my opinion, a balanced duo.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree about patience and building a team, and I agree his contract wouldn't allow much flexibility, and I also think that Chandler will sign somewhere else. I'm simply putting it out there that I think his presence on the court could add a huge boost defensively and even a little offensively. If we could get Sammy D at a hometown discount I'd be all over that. I'm an optimistic raptor fan and I think in a few years they could be a very solid team, but I think the philosophy of the team needs to change. If you have a vocal leader like Tyson(JJ Barea was quoted as saying he was there "KG") I believe it could put us in the right direction. I don't know enough about Kanter to comment, but I've never been a fan of European or just international centers to begin with. From what people say it seems like he could do it all, but they key word is could. I just think the market for solid defensive Cs is huge and there are not enough of them to go around, so I would love to snatch one if i could. I just have memories of Saer Sene being drafted for the Sonics (they also drafted Johan Petro) and had two other Euro big men on their team that did nothing at all and never panned out to be anything. Chandler's age doesn't necessarily scare me either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information