Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Jose Barea's display open more RR faithful to Kemba?

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does Jose Barea's display open more RR faithful to Kemba?

Most RR faithful like the idea of Kemba "Isiah Thomas Walker being taken @ number 5 but for those who dont/didn't because of his size - are you now more open to it after seeing how dynamic Barea was on the NBA's biggest stage?

Mavs won final 3 games with him as a starter. Kemba is the same size and even an amazing half step faster... oh and BTW a national champion and the leading scorer in the nation last year...

If BC has to choose between Kemba and Jan Vesely no way in hell is he taking Jan... take that to the bank it will not happen.

McDonald's All-American Team (2008)

Big East Tournament Champion (2011)

Big East Tournament MVP (2011)

NCAA Champion (2011)

NCAA Basketball Tournament Most Outstanding Player (2011)

Bob Cousy Award (2011)

Lute Olson Award (2011)
    speed kills - vote kemba 2011
    Last edited by charlz; Tue Jun 14th, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Post Thanks / Like

How about Chris Paul and Rajon Rondo? Seeing how they're around the same size as Kemba Walker.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

no one believes me but i think kemba is the best player in this draft. We need to draft him

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

u may be right, he might be the best player... but u may be wrong. i agree with you though , kemba will definetly be a good NBA player but no one knows how good. Kemba is probably the safest pick at 5 .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    u may be right, he might be the best player... but u may be wrong.
    You've covered every angle there.

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at Paul's pre-draft measurements and Walker's pre-draft measurements in addition to their combine results, they're awfully similar.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    If you look at Paul's pre-draft measurements and Walker's pre-draft measurements in addition to their combine results, they're awfully similar.
    Paul is pretty special. He's a top 6 player in the NBA; Walker isn't even a definite top 6 pick at the moment. Any and all comparisons should really wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Paul is pretty special. He's a top 6 player in the NBA; Walker isn't even a definite top 6 pick at the moment. Any and all comparisons should really wait.
    The comment was based on body type and measurements, notsomuch on their games and abilities.

Post Thanks / Like

The comment was based on body type and measurements, notsomuch on their games and abilities.
    Sorry, misunderstood. It's just that I keep hearing on this board stuff akin to "why can't Walker have a career like Paul's since they're the same size" Paul, like Walker, has pretty sub-par measurements as you noted. I'm more likely to bet on Biyombo being the next Ben Wallace than I am Walker having anywhere near Paul's impact.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think Barea's performance has any bearing on Walker's draft stock, anymore than Lebron's terrible finals performance reminds us that even the best player can have some bad games. If anything, it reminds me just how much of a crap-shoot the draft is. Kemba could become the next great young PG in the NBA, or he could be a total bust who's ceiling is a change-of-pace backup... that's what watching Barea reinforced in my thought process.

I think the bigger determining factors for the question of who the Raptors draft are:

1. Who is available - obviously, but every draft has some surprises and they very rarely go according to plan, so who knows who might unexpectedly be available @ #5.

2. What deals are available - this is the big unknown, since we have no idea about: a) what trades are being discussed and could be made, which could potentially impact both the roster (ie: changing positional needs) and list of players available to be drafted (ie: do they move up, move down, move out or add additional lottery picks); b) which player(s) in the draft BC is truly targeting
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jun 14th, 2011 at 12:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

In a draft like this one, taking Kemba couldn't hurt. I know some compare him to Bayless but to me Jerryd is a 2 in a 1's body and has very little natural pg abilities.

Kemba to me is a more natural pg and has characteristics and intangibles this team sorely lacks (leadership and moxie). The height as shown by JJ is not a factor if you're playing for a team that suits your skills. I don't think it will affect his stock either way but Barrea's play is a reminder that a talented player in the right system can be valuable regardless of height or his measurements.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Kemba 22 and how old was Paul when he was measured? I doubt Kemba will grow more physically than what his is now.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a possibility that Barea's performance could increase Kemba's draft stock, but imo it shouldn't for the Raptors. If you are a playoff team in need of a good 6th man to come off the bench and provide scoring punch then Kemba shows the potential to do so a la Ben Gordon. But a team like the Raptors that are in need of starters have got to go for the sure thing or as close to the a sure thing as possible. If they can't move the pick to acquire the sure thing then Kemba is certainly a better option than anyone else projected to be available at the 5 spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul entered at age 20. So too did Rondo. Walker is entering at age 21. Most guys aren't growing at age 20 anyway. This doesn't matter at all though because Walker is around their height right now so whenever they measure, who cares? I've said it many times, if the only thing you have against a player is his height, which in this case isn't an issue to begin with, then maybe you should go back to the lab and reassess why you're on the offense?

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Paul entered at age 20. So too did Rondo. Walker is entering at age 21. Most guys aren't growing at age 20 anyway. This doesn't matter at all though because Walker is around their height right now so whenever they measure, who cares? I've said it many times, if the only thing you have against a player is his height, which in this case isn't an issue to begin with, then maybe you should go back to the lab and reassess why you're on the offense?
    tell that to Tim

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    tell that to Tim
    At what point did I say that any of my main issues with Kemba was his height? Holy crap. Do you people even READ comments?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I wasn't on the offense, and think he will be a fine player, but I also feel that size plays a role in the type of career he'll have. For every Isah Thomas and Allen Iverson that comes along there are many more Aron Brooks' and Earl Boykins. Because how he'll pan out in the NBA is the great unknown factor I prefer to play the odds that a promising player like Knight who has the size to succeed be our pick as opposed a promising player like Walker who will have to overcome the size factor be our pick. I really don't know what Walkers measuements are, but my understanding is that he is under 6 feet without shoes. Hey, if he comes to Toronto and plays well I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but I prefer to play the odds and the odds are against him being a legit starting pg.

Post Thanks / Like

How does a good backup point guard performing well in a few playoff games increase Walker's stock? If anything, I'd imagine this (i.e. good backup point guard on a contending team) is a comparison you'd want to avoid.

As always, how does any player's performance or success affect another's future career? Does Nowitzki being Finals MVP improve Bargnani's perception?

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    How does a good backup point guard performing well in a few playoff games increase Walker's stock? If anything, I'd imagine this (i.e. good backup point guard on a contending team) is a comparison you'd want to avoid.

As always, how does any player's performance or success affect another's future career? Does Nowitzki being Finals MVP improve Bargnani's perception?
    well I think it goes a long way to dispelling the notion that there is a ceiling for the role of smaller players.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    well I think it goes a long way to dispelling the notion that there is a ceiling for the role of smaller players.
    Barea's ceiling seems to be a 20 mpg player, or at least that what he played during the regular season and in the playoffs. How does that dispel the notion?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Thread Information